Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Kinda torn, because I feel like both are going to be more intuitive for one user or another.

I think what I really just need to do is integrate a better help system, rather than relying on a few stickied threads. Long overdue.

I, Daniel Blake (2016)

-

The synopsis of this movie would never make me want to see it. I only watched it because I saw Camo drooling over it somewhere. It's an unspectacular but very relatable story, with some good humor and just the right touch of emotion. The actor gives one of my favorite performances of the year. Thanks to him, I think this movie was about as enjoyable as it could have been.

Kinda torn, because I feel like both are going to be more intuitive for one user or another.

I think what I really just need to do is integrate a better help system, rather than relying on a few stickied threads. Long overdue.
Fair enough.

@cricket So glad you are agreeing with me so much lately . I know i'll come crashing down with you hating Krisha or something but yeah, I, Daniel Blake is my #2 of last year. Dave Johns is my favourite male performance of the year, Krisha Fairchild is my favourite in general so you have to watch and like that now

And i don't think anything made me laugh this year more than Daniel trying to use the PC for some reason. "It's frozen? Can you defrost it then?" So glad you mentioned the humour.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) rewatch

While the first one was dumb, incoherent, messy, stupid and overall poorly put together, this one is all of those things and knows it. I felt a stronger self-awareness and an approach leaning more towards creating over the top silly action, than trying to be a great horror thriller with an actual plot and all, like the first. I much prefer laughably dumb than annoyingly dumb too, and this was more of the former. I was entertained despite of the thin basis for it... and big monster guy is awesome.

Oh, and this is the one where Alice becomes a superhero. Much needed!

A Walk Among The Tombstones
3.5/5

Repeaters
3.5/5

Under The Shadow.
4.5/5

Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter
5/5

Prince of Darkness (1987)

Left my review of it here

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Gone (2012)
-

I watched it for Seyfried and she was ok. They really scraped the bottom of the barrel with the rest of the all-star cast. On the plus side, it was short.

This might just do nobody any good.

I never found anything funny about this movie but it was always powerful. It's a better horror movie than The Shining, that's for sure. I guess that says something about me; that I can't laugh in the face of oblivion like others seem to.

I couldn't watch this today without feeling a pit in my stomach. It's really quite enduring, this movie. Now it is. The atomic bull ride never fails to send chills down my spine.

10/10

8/10

Legend of Tarzan: 6.4/10 an okay popcorn film, bit of an interesting take on the character, trying to serve as both origin and sequel, not necessarily failing at both, but not giving you a full experience, with characters and story suffering a bit. I did enjoy the interactions between Sam Jackson and Tarzan.

Welcome to the human race...
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004) rewatch

While the first one was dumb, incoherent, messy, stupid and overall poorly put together, this one is all of those things and knows it. I felt a stronger self-awareness and an approach leaning more towards creating over the top silly action, than trying to be a great horror thriller with an actual plot and all, like the first. I much prefer laughably dumb than annoyingly dumb too, and this was more of the former. I was entertained despite of the thin basis for it... and big monster guy is awesome.

Oh, and this is the one where Alice becomes a superhero. Much needed!

Intriguing. Even after running the whole series recently, I still ended up thinking of Apocalypse as my least favourite, but not entirely without its merits. I still think that the sequence of a morning scene followed by a "13 hours later" title card and then an establishing shot in broad daylight was one of the most egregiously wrong things I'd seen in a movie in a while, and that's without mentioning Mike Epps' extremely corny comic relief. Still, I can't really say that I hate it these days either, which is more than I can say for a lot of "worst in the series" movies.

Last movie I watched...

Silence -

Great film, but somehow the screening I went to had a really loud audience.

I never found anything funny about this movie but it was always powerful. It's a better horror movie than The Shining, that's for sure. I guess that says something about me; that I can't laugh in the face of oblivion like others seem to.

I couldn't watch this today without feeling a pit in my stomach. It's really quite enduring, this movie. Now it is. The atomic bull ride never fails to send chills down my spine.

10/10
I am glad you enjoyed the movie. Though I find it a laugh riot.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

I wasn't planning on seeing this, but a few friends decided to go, so I went. It was alright, I guess it was a bit better than the few Harry Potter movies I have fresh in my mind, which is really only the first two. Most of the movie was essentially pointless plot wise, capture the beasts, that's about it. Then we get to the actual plot, and some world building in the third act, but it's a bit too late for me to get really invested. It's the same formula they used in the Harry Potter movies I've watched, and it comes off as a bit unfocused.

The main character was a bit more interesting than Harry Potter. That has a lot to do with him being less essential, and heavily involved in the whole plot, and the world, not having to fit this "chosen one" archetype that Harry Potter did. He had a bit more personality, he had that Doctor Who, Loki kind of quirkiness that definitely didn't seem coincidental, I feel like that kind of character was exactly what they were going for. I'm not a huge fan of Redmayne, but it's easy to see why they chose him, it fits, he does an alright job. The other characters were pretty forgettable, that's where the Potter films seem to have an upper hand, at least in that aspect. They had a lot of entertaining side characters like Dumbledore, or Hagrid. This one did not have any characters that stuck with me. A lot of wasted talent, too. Colin Farrell, Ron Perlman, Ezra Miller, there presence is pretty much wasted in this movie.

I really dislike their desire to completely wow you with the visuals. While it was a good looking movie, a good example of this would be an approximately ten minute scene where there just showcasing you all of the beasts in the movie. That's great, and all, but what does this have to do with the overall plot at hand? I guess it just mirrors the pace of the movie in general. I like the setting, I feel like there's a lot more to do when you have an entire city at your disposal rather than just a school, it also kills the repetition when there's obviously sequels to be made with it. Overall, I suppose I wouldn't mind coming back for the sequel, I find it more appealing than what I've watched of Harry Potter personally, there's a lot of room for improvement. But, then again I haven't watched enough of the movies to give an absolute opinion.

Bridge of Spies: 7.5/10 Solid film, a bit glossy (in story and visually ) I am a bit surprised to see Rylance's character kind of vanish so suddenly.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016)

I wasn't planning on seeing this, but a few friends decided to go, so I went. It was alright, I guess it was a bit better than the few Harry Potter movies I have fresh in my mind, which is really only the first two. Most of the movie was essentially pointless plot wise, capture the beasts, that's about it. Then we get to the actual plot, and some world building in the third act, but it's a bit too late for me to get really invested. It's the same formula they used in the Harry Potter movies I've watched, and it comes off as a bit unfocused.

The main character was a bit more interesting than Harry Potter. That has a lot to do with him being less essential, and heavily involved in the whole plot, and the world, not having to fit this "chosen one" archetype that Harry Potter did. He had a bit more personality, he had that Doctor Who, Loki kind of quirkiness that definitely didn't seem coincidental, I feel like that kind of character was exactly what they were going for. I'm not a huge fan of Redmayne, but it's easy to see why they chose him, it fits, he does an alright job. The other characters were pretty forgettable, that's where the Potter films seem to have an upper hand, at least in that aspect. They had a lot of entertaining side characters like Dumbledore, or Hagrid. This one did not have any characters that stuck with me. A lot of wasted talent, too. Colin Farrell, Ron Perlman, Ezra Miller, there presence is pretty much wasted in this movie.

I really dislike their desire to completely wow you with the visuals. While it was a good looking movie, a good example of this would be an approximately ten minute scene where there just showcasing you all of the beasts in the movie. That's great, and all, but what does this have to do with the overall plot at hand? I guess it just mirrors the pace of the movie in general. I like the setting, I feel like there's a lot more to do when you have an entire city at your disposal rather than just a school, it also kills the repetition when there's obviously sequels to be made with it. Overall, I suppose I wouldn't mind coming back for the sequel, I find it more appealing than what I've watched of Harry Potter personally, there's a lot of room for improvement. But, then again I haven't watched enough of the movies to give an absolute opinion.
WARNING: spoilers below
yeah.....Farrell getting axed and being replaced with Depp was disappointing. but Ezra is returning for the sequel

I Am A Ghost

Emily, repeat after me... "I am a ghost, I am a ghost, I am a ghost"

Perhaps one of the creepiest opening sequences I have ever seen, it sent chills down my spine but this is not really a horror ..

.. a very individual and unique style which I can't compare to anything else and was the shortest film I've seen in a long while at just 75 minutes but that was fine.

4/5

I Am A Ghost

Emily, repeat after me... "I am a ghost, I am a ghost, I am a ghost"

Perhaps one of the creepiest opening sequences I have ever seen, it sent chills down my spine but this is not really a horror ..

.. a very individual and unique style which I can't compare to anything else and was the shortest film I've seen in a long while at just 75 minutes but that was fine.

4/5
Glad to see someone else appreciating it as much as I do. Other than maybe one particular scene, the movie is damn near perfection.

Glad to see someone else appreciating it as much as I do. Other than maybe one particular scene, the movie is damn near perfection.
Was that scene towards the end of the movie by any chance?

feel free to tell me in spoilers.

Here goes my first post... Hope I did it correct.

Bonnie and Clyde (1967)

7.5/10 - Film was a great fun with Beatty and Dunaway playing characters larger than life, but I thought it was a little under-developed especially the first part of the film and that keeps me from giving it a higher rating. Cinematography and acting were nice but I didn't really fell any emotional connection to the characters. I find Malick's Badlands more smoothly executed.