James Sparrow's Rented Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I dont think anything could live up to Return of the Living Dead I love that one.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Ironically, after reading your review of Return to House on Haunted Hill i now want to see it; solely because of Jeffrey Combs is the most underrated B Movie actor ever.

A Mighty Heart (2007) - Michael Winterbottom

Starring:

Dan Futterman, Angelina Jolie, Archie Panjabi, Mohammad Afzal

The Plot:

The movie is based on Marianne Pearl's own memoirs and recollections of the Daniel Pearl kidnapping that took place in Iraq/Pakistan a while back in 2002.

Was It Any Good?

Well many people told this movie was based on a true story but I wasn't all to sure about which one that was. They kept telling me it was all over the news quite a while ago but for the life of me I was never able to remember what one they were talking about, well towards the end of this movie I finally remembered. It all came back to me in this one scene where a video tape was handed over and then I knew exactly what was going on and thats when the movie hit me even more. I usually don't pay alot of mind to movies based on true stories but it seems there are a few out there that really pull it off well and this was one of them, though the movie was Oscar worthy to me it had alot of humanity to it and pulled everything together while being tasteful yet getting to the point. When I did find out which story this was I felt that it took a whole new meaning now that I remember hearing about it.

They had Angelia Jolie play Marianne Pearl the widow of Daniel Pearl and I think she did an alright job yet there were a couple scenes that she did tend to get on my nerves as only Angelina Jolie can. Dan Futterman did an amazing job with the screen time he was given and was probably the breakthrough actor of the whole movie, his portrayal of Daniel Pearl made you actually feel for the character and its quite a talent to pull that off. Thought alot of the scenes he was in were flashback scenes with little dialogue it was simple gestures and expressions that made him the standout actor. Most of the other actors were East Indian and really made the movie feel authentic.

Being that this movie was based on Marianne Pearl's own words you can tell this is as close to the truth that you would get to this story. It would have been hell to have gone through what she did and with the interviews she did about this it didn't look as if she has lost a husband at all, she was one strong person, and to be going through all of that while being pregnant would have been that much worse, my condolences go out to her and anyone else effected by this event.

How Are The Extras?

There are about 3 different features on the DVD a Daniel Pearl Foundation PSA which talks about the foundation that was started up after his passing, Also there is a 8 minute feature about protecting journalists which was kinda slow, but the main feature was the 30 minute making of a mighty heart which was one of the better making of's i've seen in a while on a dvd.

Final Words

There aren't too many true stories I would recommend to people but now I have another one to add to the this, this movie pulled it off really well and haven't had a movie that effected me since United 93 (which to me is the saddest movie ever made). Definitely check this one out if you are interested on the events that took place or are looking for an informative movie about those events.

Movie 7/10

DVD 3/5

Alright so there you have the first week of James Sparrow's Rented Reviews. I'll be picking up some more today seeing as how I have to get them ready at work and then tomorrow I do go out of town till Saturday but I'll post some reviews then.

EDIT: I HAVE UPDATED THE 1ST POST WITH THE NEW MOVIES!

So I watched Hostel 2 last night and plan on seeing something else tonight I may have a treat for you guys after Friday but we shall see if that pans out. Anyway i'm gone till Saturday, i'll see ya all in a few days

Well yes I do love horror films but I love all films in general. Anyway i'm back now and saw a few more but I work tonight till about 4 in the morning but I will for sure get at least 1 on tomorrow.

Hey guys, just a quick update.

I apologize that I didn't get the reviews up in time (or at all) but things recently came up and my mother had to go in for surgery and its just been hectic lately so I will try to get the reviews up sometime even though the movies are out now, and I will pick up a new batch tomorrow.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's a shame you didn't like Return To House On Haunted Hill. I was looking forward to watching that.

Have you seen Dead & Breakfast? If not, I recommend it.

Suspect's Reviews

Coming soon!

The Dark Knight!

Seeing it Tuesday, should post Wednesday!

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Coming soon!

The Dark Knight!

Seeing it Tuesday, should post Wednesday!
? The Dark Knight, or Batman Begins?

Dark Knight, I won tickets to an advance IMAX screening this Tuesday through the viral campaign thats been going on.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Dark Knight, I won tickets to an advance IMAX screening this Tuesday through the viral campaign thats been going on.
Oh yes, I heard about that

lucky bastard!

Oh yes, I heard about that

lucky bastard!
I've managed to get a few joker cards out of the virals too, and come Tuesday I'm getting a custom made Why So Serious hat.