A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Close to midway through Howling Village (2019). More unsettling than out and out scary, it does have one scene that's sticking with me since I started watching it.

Finished Howling Village. I guess I expected more from the guy behind The Grudge?

There were some chilling images

WARNING: "Spoiler 1" spoilers below
Such as the calm phone call made by a young woman before someone dove headfirst off a tall tower

But the storyline itself lost coherence about two thirds of the way through.

WARNING: "Spoilers 2" spoilers below
So the whole point for her to go into the howling village and rescue her brothers was to deliver her grandmother as a baby to the house. Huh?
I thought this was PRESENT day?

Color me disappointed with the movie.

Victim of The Night
I have to say I am really shocked at how much play Terrifier 2 is getting on Social Media, especially in the trades. And not just because I hated the first one.
Regardless of whether you personally liked it or not it hardly rocked the Horror world ( it is one misogynist-ass film) and yet people are acting like this is the most anticipated Horror sequel since The Exorcist II. And, of course, we all know how that went.

I have to say I am really shocked at how much play Terrifier 2 is getting on Social Media, especially in the trades. And not just because I hated the first one.
Regardless of whether you personally liked it or not it hardly rocked the Horror world ( it is one misogynist-ass film) and yet people are acting like this is the most anticipated Horror sequel since The Exorcist II. And, of course, we all know how that went.

With the exception of one very good scene, Terrifier was total trash. But I'm not surprised the internet is a buzz with talk of a sequel. It is exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to fans of horror who lean towards the extreme, regardless of how good it actually is (which, let's face it, is a huge demographic of the horror community)

The first Terrifier was something I concede was made well enough, but the violence in it was so unpleasant that I'd have a hard time actually recommending it.

That being said, at least it had the decency to run under an hour and a half. This new one looks like it's almost two and a half hours? **** that.

Victim of The Night
With the exception of one very good scene, Terrifier was total trash. But I'm not surprised the internet is a buzz with talk of a sequel. It is exactly the kind of thing that would appeal to fans of horror who lean towards the extreme, regardless of how good it actually is (which, let's face it, is a huge demographic of the horror community)
That's a good point, just since last night I've started to notice that a lot of the SM marketing leans hard into how gruesome the film is. I forget that that Horror sub-culture exists.

Victim of The Night
The first Terrifier was something I concede was made well enough, but the violence in it was so unpleasant that I'd have a hard time actually recommending it.

That being said, at least it had the decency to run under an hour and a half. This new one looks like it's almost two and a half hours? **** that.
Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I read that. To get the financing and go-ahead to do something like that, that first film must have done better than I thought. Outside of this forum I've never talked to a soul, not even my Horror friends, who've ever even heard of it.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I read that. To get the financing and go-ahead to do something like that, that first film must have done better than I thought. Outside of this forum I've never talked to a soul, not even my Horror friends, who've ever even heard of it.

I think how much you've heard this movie being talked about correlates strongly with how much white trash has infiltrated your social or familial circle. And as someone who has more than enough ties to this movies target audience, it is nearly considered a modern classic. Which makes me barf in my mouth no small amount.

Victim of The Night
I think how much you've heard this movie being talked about correlates strongly with how much white trash has infiltrated your social or familial circle. And as someone who has more than enough ties to this movies target audience, it is nearly considered a modern classic. Which makes me barf in my mouth no small amount.
No kidding?
I mean, on the one hand that's really interesting. On the other, it's pretty disturbing. The violence-against-women aspect of this film, to me, was more defining that Art The Clown or anything else. I think I remember writing that the film made me think the director truly hated women.

Victim of The Night
After yesterday's trip to the grocery I can confirm this.
I recently re-joined Social Media after a 2 1/2 year hiatus, in order to follow my favorite Sportswriter during Saints Season. Twitter requires you to like at least 3 things (topics, I guess) when you sign up so it can start inundating you with content so that the grotesque circle of social-media life can continue, and one of the things I chose was Horror.
And I am absolutely drowning right now in Twitter posts, not just from individuals but from big entities like Fangoria and Bloody Disgusting and such saying that if you are not starting Halloween season NOW (as of September 1, actually) then you're doing it wrong.
In fact, that is exactly what the last post I read that set me off on this said before I closed Twitter and went home and watched a bad Sci-Fi movie.

I recently re-joined Social Media after a 2 1/2 year hiatus, in order to follow my favorite Sportswriter during Saints Season. Twitter requires you to like at least 3 things (topics, I guess) when you sign up so it can start inundating you with content so that the grotesque circle of social-media life can continue, and one of the things I chose was Horror.
And I am absolutely drowning right now in Twitter posts, not just from individuals but from big entities like Fangoria and Bloody Disgusting and such saying that if you are not starting Halloween season NOW (as of September 1, actually) then you're doing it wrong.
In fact, that is exactly what the last post I read that set me off on this said before I closed Twitter and went home and watched a bad Sci-Fi movie.
Oh yeah there's a certain segment of my family that's all in. Posting videos from the Halloween store, Michael Myers memes, etc. Captain Terror does not approve.

For September, I decided I wanted to work on my horror/horror-adjacent political horror queue. Made it one movie in, Zulawski's The Third Part of Night, and I'm like, I'm only going to be able to do one of these per day. That one is bleak.

Victim of The Night
Oh yeah there's a certain segment of my family that's all in. Posting videos from the Halloween store, Michael Myers memes, etc. Captain Terror does not approve.
The reason Christmas ain't what it used to be is that it seems to begin as soon as Halloween ends (and of course we will start to see Christmas stuff in stores even before that) so that you're pretty much sick of it by the time it comes unless you insulate yourself (as does Wooley).
Halloween needs to be 31 days long and no more in order to remain special.
I will hear no other opinion.

Victim of The Night
Go see Barbarian and see it blind. 4.5/5
Interesting. I was just wondering today what the hell it was as someone posted it (elsewhere) as one of their top-5 films of 2022.

Interesting. I was just wondering today what the hell it was as someone posted it (elsewhere) as one of their top-5 films of 2022.
Currently my favorite horror film of the year after Nope. But it feels much more horror than Nope.

Saw a trailer for it in front of The Black Phone and I'm so glad it's getting good word of mouth and reviews!
I had seen nothing but my wife saw a teaser during a YouTube video, said she wanted to see it, and it just so happened to be playing in 20 mins.

It's the most jazzed blind watch I've had of a horror flick since Cabin In The Woods.