The Haunted Collector - Theft And Fraud

Tools    

Just been flicking around the channels, and came across this program.

John Zaffis, a supposed paranormal investigator, goes around with a group of people to what is supposedly haunted homes.
The owners of said homes are vulnerable, possibly mentally ill people, and seemingly have strange goings-on in their home, and they are looking for help with their predicament.

They go around the homes of these vulnerable people, with a bunch of electronic equipment, and find "trigger objects". These objects, supposedly contain negative energies and Zaffis offers to take these items away for "safe keeping".

What I've noticed, with every episode of this show... is that the "trigger items" are always antiques, worth thousands and thousands of dollars.
It's never something new, or something worthless like a 100 year old dodgy piece of plywood furniture or something.

It's always an antique piece of wood like a cabinet or set of chairs, or an old American Civil War powder pistol, or incredibly rare coins from the 1700s.

Anyone else actually watch this crap?
I'm surprised Zaffis and his team of "investigators" hasn't been up on charges for theft and fraud.

Is this still on tv? I thought it was cancelled a number of years ago. I saw two episodes...maybe in 2012?, and had a similar reaction to you. When I googled the show, most of the results were from people claiming that this guy is a fraud and that he's basically stealing from gullible people who don't deserve to be taken advantage of just because they're scared of the unexplained. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they're "possibly mentally ill" though.

Now the first page of google results is mostly about it's cancellation (I guess I was right about that), though none of the articles I see have any official statement from the SyFy Channel as to why it was cancelled. At the time there were quite a few paranormal reality shows on tv though, so it might have just been due to it not being popular enough, instead of being about complaints towards him or the legitimacy of his work. Though the latter honestly wouldn't surprise me.

It's being repeated on one of the UK channels, but yeah it was cancelled after 3 series.

I just find it disturbing that, not only does this guy do it... but there's a TV channel that gives him a slot, and also, people actually watch it.

Well there's no accounting for people's taste haha.

Now it is possible that this guy genuinely believed he was helping people, just like these people believed they were being harassed by supernatural entities. It could've just been a coincidence that the items were mostly all valuable antiques because those are the ones with the most history and thus have the most potential to be "haunted". But that's not really the vibe I got from him at all.

I just find it disturbing that, not only does this guy do it... but there's a TV channel that gives him a slot, and also, people actually watch it.
Says the man that stated
What I've noticed, with every episode of this show...
in his original post

Sorry my fellow rodentia member - simply couldn't resist

I'm sure Rodent thinks a ghost is living with him. He's gonna end up contacting that show and then they're gonna take his Young Guns DVD away.

Damn, this Young Guns movie must have had quite an impact on Rodent. Im constantly seeing his name referenced with it like a totem of adoration.

I've added him to my ignore list. Permanently this time.

Sick of his crap. Told him that the other day, he's obviously too ****ing stupid to quit being a ********.

Haven't heard a Young Guns joke in a while, i thought it was a nice callback. Need to start up your Whoopi calls next.
Whoopi has been so anti-Donald Trump lately that even I am wondering if she might be the devil. Honeykid probably likes her now.

Though, I still think Whoopi's probably a good person. I have severely lessened the Whoopi stuff lately. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I needed to find a new Whoopi picture for HK's profile comments page.

He was at it the other day and I told him about it. He even apologised. I should have known tbh, as he's apologised before ad then carried on.
Sick of it.
Ok it's only a reference to a movie, but after hearing that crap for years and it never having any sort of connection to the conversation, it borders trolling and bullying... and I've had enough of the fag.

I don't care. I think you're nuts if that bothers you so much.
You can pick on me liking Garp if you want Sexy, it might make someone curious and theyd end up seeing it.

He was at it the other day and I told him about it. He even apologised. I should have known tbh, as he's apologised before ad then carried on.
Sick of it.
Ok it's only a reference to a movie, but after hearing that crap for years and it never having any sort of connection to the conversation, it borders trolling and bullying... and I've had enough of the fag.
I do it because I love you. You're uncomfortable with my love.

I don't wanna make the Young Guns jokes anymore, Rodent. I would love to stop. But I can't help it sometimes. It's like an addiction. It's like a drug. It's like how I try and try again to leave Movie Forums forever, but I can't. It's hard to stop. You can at least know that. I would love to stop for you, but it's hard to.

Well....after years I could see where itd become annoying. Times like this make me glad Im not a mod.