October Challenge

Tools    

I used to love House. I haven't seen it for, at least, 20 years, but I rented that time and time again when I was a kid.

I really loved it also, back in the day.

Remember the ghoulish hand climbing the child's back, the child he was babysitting?

@reannimator:

I'll give House and The Boxer's Omen a try.

I have to say Nightbreed is a bit of a miss for me. It's more of a dark fantasy film than Horror but except for gobs of colored latex it felt kind of restrained the last time I saw it, which I think is the opposite of what he was going for. Easily my least favorite Barker-directed film and I like it less than Candyman too.

I like A Chinese Ghost Story a lot. I'm curious how much 1980s Honk Kong stuff you've seen? Maybe it's a matter of getting used to the editing, but I know for myself the chaotic excess was always more of a feature that just made me want to re-watch these movies, than something that drove me away.

Mask of Fu Manchu is mostly of historical interest (if that) for those looking for early Hollywood perversity and icky racial tropes but I've found that movie pretty entertaining both times I've seen it. Both the make-up and the sets (and that includes using human extras as sculptures) are a lot more perverse and creepy than Nightbreed, as far as I can see.

I saw the remake of Fright Night. I think I liked Farrel slightly better than Chris Sarandon in the original (though I also appreciate that Sarandon plays a suave vampire who just has a penchant for Bill Cosby sweaters), but the effects were pretty cheap. The girl actor was an improvement (over Marcy from Married with Children) and I liked that they jettisoned the 'fated lovers' subplot because that also didn't do anything for me. The subplot about the reminiscence over past friendship was annoying because it's so prominent in places yet underdeveloped and ends up feeling cheap and unconvincing when the boy/girl are all like "you're different, I'm different, we're special" at the end. The Peter Vincent character was definitely more memorable in the original, but I didn't mind the new direction this version took. Overall I think it's an okay movie, if not exactly a success. I'm not as big a fan of Fright Night (1987) as many people around here are but it's still the better of the two in my book.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Exorcist - Day 9

I guess watching this film for the first time in this era, after seeing a bunch of films it has influenced before it, takes away from the "scary" factor. I appreciate it, I like it, but I can't really say that I loved it. Great make-up and effects with good performances. It's one of those films that I wish I was around and saw in theatres when it came out.

Suspect's Reviews

The Traveler - Day 10

Gave another Val Kilmer film a chance and kinda sorry I did. He honestly looks like he does not want to be in this film and did it to collect a paycheque. A traveler walks into a police station and claims to have murdered 6 people. One by one the cops begin to die, but he's already in custody. How is he doing it? This murder paranormal thriller lacks thrills and the performances needed to make it watchable.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter - Day 11

In a series full of bad...BAAAD films, The Final Chapter is one that, wile still following the good old horror rules and staples, manages to be fun and gruesome. We get Crispin Glover doing his thing, the introduction of Tommy Jarvis, played by Corey Feldman. Not the best Friday movie, but definitely one that you can sit, have a fun time with and root for the masked villain to slice and dice.

The Exorcist - Day 9

I guess watching this film for the first time in this era, after seeing a bunch of films it has influenced before it, takes away from the "scary" factor. I appreciate it, I like it, but I can't really say that I loved it.
I noticed this my last viewing too, but it's still hard to imagine how intense it was in the 70s.

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan - Day 12

I hate the fact that this movie lies to you. Jason doesn't get to Manhattan till the end and we are stuck with him and a bunch of stupid people on a boat for the majority of the film. I'll take my Jason up in space before I go on this cruise again. Props for a hilarious boxing scene though.

I have to say Nightbreed is a bit of a miss for me. It's more of a dark fantasy film than Horror but except for gobs of colored latex it felt kind of restrained the last time I saw it, which I think is the opposite of what he was going for. Easily my least favorite Barker-directed film and I like it less than Candyman too.
For me, dark fantasy and horror go hand in hand. I didn't think it was restrained, though it could have more to do with low expectations (I'd seen the first ten minutes previously and was unimpressed). I think there was an extra 20 minutes of footage recently discovered though. And I love Candyman too.

I'd give it a rewatch. I thought it was a much more 'all out' artistic endeavor than Lord of Illusions or Hellraiser. Embrace the cheesiness, unintentional as it may be.
I like A Chinese Ghost Story a lot. I'm curious how much 1980s Honk Kong stuff you've seen? Maybe it's a matter of getting used to the editing, but I know for myself the chaotic excess was always more of a feature that just made me want to re-watch these movies, than something that drove me away.
HK cinema is an area of neglect for me, but I wasn't turned off by this film. On the contrary, it made me more interested.

Paranormal Activity 3 - Day 13

How much paranormal activity can one family take? Well, enough after two, which is why this is a prequel. The two sisters are little kids in this outing and we get a glimpse into why the demon is after them. With each sequel, we go further back in terms of story, as the second paranormal activity also took place before the events of the first. We are given the same scare tactics in this entry, some creative use of the camera and an ending that will leave some people scratching their heads. With the 4th one coming out in theatres, I ask myself...how much longer can this series go?

Demon Knight - Day 14

This film was a lot of fun, it's a Tales from the Crypt movie. Between this and Bordello of Blood (which is pure sex comedy) Demon Knight manages to give me everything I expected. A wickedly evil and fun performance from Billy Zane gives this one the edge over the Dennis Miller vampire flick.

Day 21: Noroi (2005)

Effective psychological ‘found footage’ film. Maybe it’s not glowing praise, but this is the best horror mockumentary I can think of behind BBC’s Ghostwatch and the recent Trollhunter. I could’ve done without the aluminum foil guy though.
Day 22: Asylum (1972)

Decent anthology flick with some very good acting and a boisterous score. None of the stories are anything spectacular, but it’s a good pick for Halloween.
Day 23: Frankenstein: The True Story (1973)

A pretty extravagant TV production, with great acting and sets ranging from pure class to pure sci-fi. Even though the abridged version allegedly cuts out too much, the original version goes on a little too long. Still, the best Frankenstein adaption I’ve seen behind the ’31 film.
Day 24: The Boogens (1981)

Not too bad, though I ended up rooting for the monster more often than not. And its reveal, in all turtleyness, is probably one of the biggest monster letdowns I’ve ever come across (hilariously so). This now closely rivals CHUD as my favorite horror movie title of the 80s.
Day 25: Angel Dust (1994)

A very Lynchian psychological crime film directed by Sogo Ishii, who I only know as the man behind the crazy Einstuerzende Neubauten film ½ Mensch. It draws a thin line between its dreamlike moments and its real world, often blurring the distinction. If you’re into that, you’ll probably admire this. And a special mention for the great ambient soundtrack that goes along perfectly with the especially slow pace, with occasional bursts of trip hop.

October 17

Dead Snow

It's so hard to find Norwegian and Finnish films...Harry where are you

October 18

Candyman

Forgot how good this was. Actually really scared the lady as well, double score.

October 19

The Killer Shrews

So those 50 Horror Classics dvds you find for $5 are pretty much worth it for films like this. Highly entertaining crap I must say, despite having maybe three actual classics, but it's part of the ironic charm.

October 20

The Orphanage

October 21

Vampyr

October 22

In the Mouth of Madness

This needs to get around more, yes? I would buy this for people here. Maybe.

October 23

Martin

October 24

Tyler was right.

^Both 'Friday the 13th' 9 and 10 I've never seen. Is Jason X actually pretty good, or were you joking around?

Just yesterday I finally ended up watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 'Leatherface', pretty terrible movie, it was fun to see a young and unknown Viggo Mortensen.

Peeping Tom

Not as entertaining as I expected. But that suicide scene is kind of freaky.

Mr. Vampire

I've seen this 3 times and it's one of my favourite Hong Kong movies. Okay, the ending is very typical but the other parts are energetic and entertaining.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

I dont get the hype. Its not scary, neither does it provide much food-for-thought.

Les Diaboliques

One of the first French movies I've seen (that was 4 years ago) and I loved it so much it became one of my cherished discoveries of classic cinema. Revisiting this is pure joy for me.

I've never seen the hype for the '78 version, either. Stick with the original.

I can understand you not being overly entertained by Peeping Tom, but I honestly think it's far more chilling and scary than Psycho.

Les Diabolique is, obviously, brilliant, as it's on my 100.

Night of the Creeps - Day 15

First time watching this one and loved it. A classic addition to the reason why 80's horror is the best decade for horror. The right amount of humour with gore and the hilarious 80's special effects. Interesting blend of science fiction and horror, I had no idea what to expect, especially from the opening sequence, diving right into the black and white after it.