My Top 250 Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A MAN ESCAPED

04-08-15
Wonderful movie. During WWII, a prisoner trying to escape. Movie also deals with loneliness, hope, suspicion.. If you liked "A Shawshank Redemption" you'll love this film.

NEVER ON SUNDAY

03-18-16
This could have been one of the greatest movies ever. The female lead is excellent; the lead male is a dope. Homer, is fascinated with Greece, fancies himself as an amateur philosopher and meets a free-spirited prostitute. He tries to change her, going by the book, whether it's Aristotle or regular social mores. She believes in human nature, and being happy, though Homer says how the three great Greek philosophers thought it was happiness of the mind, stimulation, where she is more nature oriented.

The movie was very special to me, even though it had a few dull parts. I was in Greece, very close to Piraeus (Athens mostly) for 7 weeks. I've had a lot of family live there while migrating, and I still know how to write/read, I know a few words. It was nice seeing the Acropolis.

Homer wants to know how Greece was so amazing, and how did it become to this. There are other problems, like trying to have some rent-control, and logic and motives fall in, plays in perfectly in the movie.

I can't think of 5 funny movies, but this had some amazingly funny scenes at times (and a lot of stupid ones, thanks to Homer). He makes a deal, and he tells Illia to live "his" way for 2 weeks, and how wonderful it is. He replaces Greek music with Classical music, etc etc... The funniest part is when she's breaking everything while saying "Some like Mozart, though critics prefer Bach" - and other Western trivia. It's hilarious! Not laugh out loud, just great.

I'd also recommend going to Greece, or anywhere out of your comfort zone! You can learn, experience, and then go back to your comfort zone. Don't just watch a movie and imagine and dream, go do it! Go find the greatest prostitute on Earth

THE LONELINESS OF A LONG-DISTANCE RUNNER

7-09-15

I've left a review before, so I'll keep this short. Very socially conscious film, and it's to my liking, my direction, how I see things in life, whether it's authority, economics, conformity, honesty, etc...

Agreed...amazing film...Kazan and Griffith were both robbed of Oscar nominations.

Thanks for correcting my memory.. I thought Griffith won! I coulda swore I heard someone on TV say, "He won an Oscar on his first movie".. But not to even be nominated is odd. Guy makes his first movie, and the results are pretty darn good, future looks bright -- they usually cultivate new talent, just like any other business...

PICKPOCKET
04-07-15

Wonderful... The main character isn't as interested in the money or watches he pickpockets, but rather than getting away with it. It's a test against himself. He lives in a tiny room, doesn't do anything with the money but hide it from the authorities who suspect him, and is playing a game of cat and mouse. And he's interested in playing, even showing him a book about a famous thief. His friend tries to help him out, his mother is dying, and his mother's neighbor comes into the mix.

The protagonist thinks the system is upside down, and feels pickpocketing might be good for the country, as it takes someone smart, brilliant, or even a genius (as he tells an officer). Instead of his skills being used for something useful, he is busy resisting his only friend, and making a few pickpocket friends who conspire to keep doing this aimlessly. His mother dies, he leaves, but comes back to Paris penniless. The story of his life...

It's a very short movie, but it's a thriller. I didn't want it to end so soon.

Thanks for correcting my memory.. I thought Griffith won! I coulda swore I heard someone on TV say, "He won an Oscar on his first movie".. But not to even be nominated is odd. Guy makes his first movie, and the results are pretty darn good, future looks bright -- they usually cultivate new talent, just like any other business...
As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure A Face in the Crowd didn't receive any nominations.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure A Face in the Crowd didn't receive any nominations.

Unbelievable.. Now the movie is more relevant than ever but it was great when I first saw it 20 years ago and it's still great.

A SPECIAL DAY

11-15-16

I stumbled upon this after wanting to find a movie with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni. This was a great conversational movie during the fascist period in Italy - a very domestic movie though, between apartments.

The beginning is full of WWII reels, but even after that, it takes a few minutes before it really starts going, so if you ever watch it in the future, give it a chance, it's really great!

LE TROU

04-12-15

A great film. I actually picked this out with my eyes closed in the French section at the library. I actually thought it was by Robert Bresson as I watched it. It's about guys who are in a cell trying to escape. A lot of camaraderie, sacrifice, and a feeling of not knowing exactly what each guy is thinking, or what's going to happen. Great movie!
Did anyone get tricked? In the beginning, one of the main characters says, "This is my story." Then you see he's the main guy who organizes the break out. And since I noticed he had black hair in the beginning, I thought it was a director's mistake, as I had figured he escaped, and that it was not too long after the opening scene in the prison, which I thought was a spoiler. Then at the end, no one gets out, and they are locked up in solitary confinement. I was so upset to see Claude rat, and it's a thrilling twist. At first you think he won't want to escape, and we don't hear him say anything to the warden, but then Manu asks why he's been gone for 2 hours, so you suspect. Then you see them all getting ready to leave, and you assume he didn't rat. The periscope (spoon with a mirror) is used and as the guards check up, move along, you think it's on.. Then the next glimpse is one of the scariest shots I have ever witnessed - seeing all the guards lined up - you know they're caught.... Also, I would have thought that Geo would have been punished much worse as he would have known about the escape and not said anything.

Anyone notice how the details kinda dragged on. There was an odd scene where they dissolve, as the chisel takes forever, but the new shot is probably 30 seconds later judging by the amount chiseled. I like details, but not every second. Still a great movie.

THE COLLECTOR

Still haven't been able to find a movie even half as good as this.

08-11-17

Thanks @mark f - you know exactly what movies I'd love... I think the lowest rated movie you recommended to me was an 8/10... "Lies My Father Told Me" is another great one you recommended, and the entire thing is on YouTube.

I only wish it was a little longer, more conversations between them, but it's a great movie... Directed by William Wyler, though I would have thought Michael Powell...Surprised I never knew of this movie.

EDIT: "The original cut of The Collector ran for three hours.[4] Because of pressure from his producers, Wyler was forced to cut the film heavily. This resulted in the complete removal of 35 minutes of prologue material starring Kenneth More. Wyler said, "Some of the finest footage I ever shot wound up on the cutting room floor, including Kenneth's part."

LA TERRAZZA

This is the last great movie I have seen, which explains (part of) my infinite sadness. There's nothing more productive nowadays like finishing a great movie or book.

12-31-19

Wow. Ettore Scola is so underrated. Very original movie, excellent writing, themes, acting, exposition, narrative. This movie is a great critique of society. It's very original, and focuses in on a handful of men who are aging, and finding no happiness with the material world. Very good satire showing the phoniness with the younger generation, who are more interested in correcting brand names than the subject at hand itself. But it also shows the hypocrisy of one in particular, who produces garbage to make money, please the critics, and to please his much younger wife, who doesn't love him, because everyone ages, and eventually life beats a man, while she is not at the same stage in life.

While I was watching this, I noticed the movie was made in 1980, and it described the future decade. Then thought back to 1970, and thought of "Husbands" by Cassavetes. Again, about aging, but this time dealing with it with hedonism. 1960 - "La Dolce Vita" which also has Marcello Mastroianni, who is also very good in this movie. I realized 2020 is a few hours away. I guess I also love this movie because it confronts my dissatisfaction with life and society, and my yearning for the only nutrition I can get - the arts, and specifically - movies, music, and comedy. It's nice to hear a bit of the "Does anyone feel the way I do?". It's not about looking at a glass half-empty or half-full, but trying to point out to the world that the glass is full of piss and to stop drinking it, and revert to what worked, regardless if its called "traditional".

Please reply if you have seen this. I'd be very interested to read what you think about this movie.

'

THE FACE OF ANOTHER

Such a great movie. I rated the movie that influenced it a little lower, though. I doubt there's anything similar in theme/concept and quality.

Teshigahara is one of my favorite directors, but it's too bad he didn't make many movies.

TASTE OF CHERRY

It used to be on YouTube...
05-05-16

Middle-aged man contemplating suicide. Great movie. If you've seen this already, you can read the spoiler down below - it's the reason I only give it a 9.5

Very well-acted. I remember Pontecorvo accurately saying that with actors, the face is so important. His leading character wasn't an actor, but was great. When I first saw the protagonist's face, it fit, as well as the other actors. I can see myself watching this movie again. Great pace, pulls you in immediately, no filler, just great film-making.

I had this on automatic DVR because of the director, and though I was going to probably watch it, I got a recommendation based on a thread I started a few days ago about human interaction, and Redwell picked this exact movie, which was the last one I had DVR'd, which was just on TCM. I also had a friend call me yesterday morning telling me he was suicidal - I don't think I even thought of him when I saw what movie I recorded.

Hide Spoilers
WARNING: "A Taste of Cherry" spoilers below I'm probably being fickle, but I would have liked to know besides unhappiness why Mr. Bagheri was suicidal. Could have made for a great conversation, especially the way the movie was going. At only 90 minutes, I think it wouldn't have hurt, but I understand... It was also unclear what happened in the end.