Interested in becoming a movie buff... Please help.

Tools    

The only secret is to watch films and form your opinion, if you wacth DVD's look at the extra disc or Special feaures. The only other thing that I have on hand is a copy of a film guide ( Halliwell's) and I have a personal film database that I 'm wokring on for my DVD's. Agreed to watch at the movies is the ultimate this way get full surround and a massive screen but don't write off your TV or DVD. You aleady have two tools at hand, your PC & MoFo!

Hello all...

For the past two months or so I've been feeling this urge to get myself acquainted with the seventh art after disregarding it for way to long. To become a film critic I wish not, I only want to feel "civilized" when people around me speak of the Cohen brothers, Blade Runner, etc.

My question is, aside from 100 movies lists, is there any material in book form to help me with my enduring quest?

I thank thee all mates for your time and (possibly) effort.
Watch movies.

Not being funny but the guy is basically asking 'how do I become a bigger fan of film..' It's one of the most obscure questions i've ever read. What's more surprising is that people like Holden Pike are answering this seriously..

Anyways, theres no answer to this, imo. You're either a film buff or you're not. You can't force yourself to have passion for film.

The Fungus Among Us
Not being funny but the guy is basically asking 'how do I become a bigger fan of film..' It's one of the most obscure questions i've ever read. What's more surprising is that people like Holden Pike are answering this seriously..

Anyways, theres no answer to this, imo. You're either a film buff or you're not. You can't force yourself to have passion for film.

That is exactly right. The fact that one would ever have to ask how to gain knowledge and appreciation of film, means already they are a lost cause.

I want to learn Spanish, should I maybe check out one of those tapes from the library, take a class, spend some time in Spain.

Seriously????

Being a fan of film doesn't mean you have to read a ton of books to know everything about the history of cinema and its characters; being a fan of film means you like watching movies. Do you like watching movies? Congratulations you are on your way to becoming a film buff.

I beg your pardon for one last question ladies and get's.

ASIDE from the guardian list, the NY times list, if you have a choice between ALL of the "greatest movies of all times" books in this amazon page in the "customers also bought"... section, what would you choose? I know that i'm a jack ass for wasting so much time on books instead of watching the movies, but I need just ONE last book, please!

I can't insert links cuz I'm a new poster, but here it is, sorry for it being so uncomfortable. If you are willing to help me make my decision, type amazon dot com -the string of letters that's written in red. It would help me very much and NO MORE MOVIE BOOKS, i promise!
/Times-Movies-Updated-Revised-Critics/dp/0312326114/ref=pd_cp_b_2?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1904978738&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PHXD5V854K6GJ5GD3TA

Long Live The New Flesh
Rasputin -

I have to disagree with The Prestige on one point, as he asserts it's ridiculous to ask how to be a more sophisticated film patron/aficionado. I think we agree that you don't need to ask to be more passionate about watching movies, but there are things one can do to "make up for lost time" as it were. One obviously being to look at IMDB's top movie lists for each respective genre. In this way you're filtering out a lot of mediocre to bad movies, and only spending time watching movies most people agree are the best. The downside to this would be since critiquing films is a somewhat subjective process, you will invariably be missing out on movies you may personally prefer where others do not. Brass tacks though, if you want to talk good movies, you should at least see what the majority collectively agree on as being the best. Afterward, watch everything you can, bad, good, mediocre etc.

The other thing I would suggest to you Rasputin, is to read professional film reviews from reliable sources whenever possible. Some noteworthy critics including but not limited to Jim Hoberman, David Thomsen, Anthony Lane, Peter Bradshaw, Nigel Andrews, David Edelstein, Anthony Quinn, Stephanie Zacharek, Philip French, Ryan Gilbey etc. Doing this will start to build a vocabulary, but more importantly, show you how to look at movies from many perspectives with a more discerning and scrutinizing eye.

Hope that helps.

The Fungus Among Us
Rasputin, reading your books won't be a waste of time. I'm sure you will become very informed.

I think the primary reason so many emphasize watching, watching, and more watching is that over education without a particular appreciation or experience usually yields one's opinions being formed for them not by them.

With random experimentation you may find that you already possess a dormant penchant for B grade Horrors. Going by the book you won't be watching any B grade horrors.

I don't really know where you're coming from, so my only real advice is: do whatever is the most fun for you.

Ditto.

Becoming a film buff isn't just a hobby for most, its a passion. Its not like collecting stamps. Just watch plenty of films and you'll learn plenty more than you ever will from reading (not to take away from reading, because I own an entire library of film books). My recommendation is get a Netflix account, you'll be recommended films based on your current choices. That will help broaden your horizons in film. You'll learn more that way, too. A lot can be learned from directors by watching their films. Film in a historical context is important, though. So viewing early films will also help you plenty.

There are plenty of books to help you, if that is your choice. Go to Amazon, search film books. I'm sure there will be plenty of lists by users with great recommendations. But most importantly, just enjoy it -- it shouldn't be something you force yourself into.

A system of cells interlinked
I just had to cancel my netflix account.

The IRS is after me, and I need every penny. It's a pretty good service, if you have a ton of free time to watch films. If you are a busy person, it is not exactly a good deal, as the films tend to sit around and not get watched after a while...

I just had to cancel my netflix account.

The IRS is after me, and I need every penny. It's a pretty good service, if you have a ton of free time to watch films. If you are a busy person, it is not exactly a good deal, as the films tend to sit around and not get watched after a while...
Ouch!! Sorry to hear that, Sedai. Good luck with straightening out your situations.

I agree with your points about spending more time watching films. Netflix is a good place to rent films through, from what I've heard.

I'm sorry for bumping up this thread, but I must ask this: is there any BETTER site about films than filmsite.org ? It's just that I'm amazed about the amount of good info on this site. OMFG! So, is there another site of such scope and magnitude?