Vampire Movies

Tools    

When I was 12 or 13 I saw Bram Stokers Dracula. At the time it scared the $#@& out of me. Since then I have attained an unusual fetish for vampires. The only other movie that has intrigued me as much as Bram Stokers Dracula was Interview with a Vampire.

Can anyone recommend a good vampire flick?

Thanks in advance.

Several come to mind: Nosferatu, Lost Boys, The Fearless Vampire Killers, Fright Night, Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, The Hunger, From Dusk Till Dawn. If you want to try something different, take a look at Mr. Vampire or Encounters of the Spooky Kind, and find out how Chinese Vampires go about things.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by Hypnotic
When I was 12 or 13 I saw Bram Stokers Dracula. At the time it scared the $#@& out of me. Since then I have attained an unusual fetish for vampires. The only other movie that has intrigued me as much as Bram Stokers Dracula was Interview with a Vampire.

Thanks in advance.
Ahhh yes, I have the same thing you do for vampire movies...but I love'em all...well...most....you should definatelly take a look at Shadow of the Vampire. Very interesting movie, that takes a vaery interesting look at the making of the first vampire movie Nosfaratu(sp?). From an action point, BlueBottle was right with From Dusk Till Dawn well...the first one anyways and you should check out my fave vampire/action movie Blade. The sequel was a great action movie, but a little over the top. Also, not sure if BlueBottle mentioned this, if not you should check out John Carpenter's Vampires. Interesting origin for vampires in that movie. Well, goodluck with'em.

Ciao
- Corey Taylor (2002)

There is already quite a few good selections there already. I would add to that list Near Dark, a less obvious take on the vampire mythos and The Monster squad, a goonies style movie with a bunch of kids and with more then one classical monster in the mix, it's light-hearted but enormous fun.

Originally Posted by Revenant
There is already quite a few good selections there already. I would add to that list Near Dark, a less obvious take on the vampire mythos and The Monster squad, a goonies style movie with a bunch of kids and with more then one classical monster in the mix, it's light-hearted but enormous fun.

What is Near Dark? I have never heard of it..mabye I will have to check it out. Seems everyone on this thread likes these movies, anyone else looking forwar to Van Helsing?? I can't wait for it

Originally Posted by Hypnotic

Thanks in advance.
I too have a slight fetish for vampire movies, and would like to recommend "Underworld", "Blade", "John Carpenter's Vampires" and "From Dusk Til Dawn". They were very entertaining. I also would recommend the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series now on dvd. Some of the episodes are junk, but overall, it's worth viewing for its campiness and great writing. Enjoy!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Piledriver
I too have a slight fetish for vampire movies, and would like to recommend "Underworld", "Blade", "John Carpenter's Vampires" and "From Dusk Til Dawn". They were very entertaining. I also would recommend the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" series now on dvd. Some of the episodes are junk, but overall, it's worth viewing for its campiness and great writing. Enjoy!

Slight??? HA! Pile is a vamp nut!! We have watched a couple vamp flicks together, and we share an addiction to a certain little blonde vamp slayer as well

_S

If you dig vampires, I recommend that you read Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and a handful of others in the series like Blood and Gold. There you will find what you are looking for.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Endless
What is Near Dark? I have never heard of it..mabye I will have to check it out.
Near Dark is an 80's movie that has amongst it's cast Lance Herriksen of Aliens and Jaws fame and Bill Paxton also of Aliens and other movies. It hints at vampirism without the out and out 'I vant to suck vour blood' syndrome or capes and fangs. A country hick falls for one the vampires of a travelling group and gets so deeply involved he has to leave home to protect his family.

It's a great film that looks into the characters rather then vampirism but that is still present through-out the film.

Here's a few links I just grabbed for you....

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0000200/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...067272-9282809

http://www.kaareundknut.com/reviews/990627850.html

Evil spelled backwards is Live!
Yeah, if you read the Anne Rice series it can be really interesting. I've only read Interview with the Vampire and part of The Vampire Lestat so far but I intend to read the rest of them eventually. The movie Interview with the Vampire is really good too.

I don't need what you ain't got.
The anne rice books mentioned above are all great. But if you're dead-set on watching the movies, there's an Interview with the Vampire movie that was pretty good. And there's Queen of the Damned, which was great fun too. Guest stars aaliyah, and has a great soundtrack. (thankfully, aaliyah never appears on it.)

Originally Posted by Revenant
Near Dark is an 80's movie that has amongst it's cast Lance Herriksen of Aliens and Jaws fame and Bill Paxton also of Aliens and other movies. It hints at vampirism without the out and out 'I vant to suck vour blood' syndrome or capes and fangs. A country hick falls for one the vampires of a travelling group and gets so deeply involved he has to leave home to protect his family.

It's a great film that looks into the characters rather then vampirism but that is still present through-out the film.

Wow, the reviews make it sound very good, I will definitly try and rent this movie. Thanks alot for the links man

Originally Posted by Slayer
And there's Queen of the Damned, which was great fun too.
Ugh...you got to be kidding me. That movie was appalling! It butchered the novel so completely, that the stories weren't even similar anymore. The acting sucked and it never even told you who was who. My opinion is to avoid that flick at all costs!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations....

I'm going to my local movie store to see if they have Shadow of the Vampire in stock... I read some reviews and It looked pretty interesting. Thanks again... Info much appreciated.

P.S. I'll, without a doubt, head to the library tomorrow and look into those books.

Im a huge vamp fan, a few of my faves are: (In No Order

The Hammer Horror versions of DRACULA
Kathryn Bigelow's NEAR DARK
Guilmerro Del Torro's CRONOS
Abel Ferrera's THE ADDICTION
Robert Rodriguez's FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
RAZORBLADE SMILE
NOSFERATAU/VAMPYR

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
My favorites are most likely Cronos, Blade II and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
My favorites are most likely Cronos, Blade II and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

I completely forgot about D: Bloodlust...I rented both (Vampire Hunter D & Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) in the same week and while the first one was very interesting..the sequel (Bloodlust) was amazing. Incredibly beautiful animation, and a great story with some fantastic characters. If you enjoy either vampire movies or anime, or like my self enjoy both, I highly recommend this movie. Enjoy

And I say, 'I'm dead,' and I move.
all i can say is DON'T watch shadow of the vampire, it sucks ass!!!!

Originally Posted by thevandal
all i can say is DON'T watch shadow of the vampire, it sucks ass!!!!

WHAAAA????!

Well, to each thier own, but I, and I believe many other people on this thread, thoroughly enjoyed that movie

If you’re in the mood for a comedy, check out Love At First Bite… it's hilarious…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)