1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970)

Directed By: Elio Petri
I enjoyed this movie. I was a little confused at the start but once I understood his motivation to do what he was doing, I got it. The ending was a little confusing to me but I still kind of liked it. I don't have a whole lot to say about this one really. The music was very interesting and quirky but slowly became overused. The acting was VERY dramatic at times but I still enjoyed it. I think the premise is a good one and leads the viewer on a very interesting journey to uncover the purpose behind the main characters actions. Good nom.

And with that I am done. Had a blast watching with you guys. Awesome job hosting Ed really kept the whole thing going. Can't wait for the next one.
Great lil review, Jay! Agree about the journey it sends the viewing. Really like how that all unfolded.

And THANK YOU for being a part of this, Jay!!

Jeff Costello's remaining Reviews:

Kramer Vs Kramer : Oscar winning drama directed by Robert Benton is unquestionable exhibit of a fine acting by Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman. But besides fine acting, Kramer vs Kramer is relatively mundane film. The story is insipid and uneventful and the emotional punch is not quite there. Particularly distinct was the excessive discrepancy between the main protagonists as flawed individuals. Writers went out of their way to present Joanna as a vile and detestable chatacter whose actions are never really justified nor given a proper and satisfying explanation. That seemed highly unrealistic and a cheap way to evoke sympathy for Hoffman's character.

(final three WILL be posted on the 17th)

]Writers went out of their way to present Joanna as a vile and detestable chatacter whose actions are never really justified nor given a proper and satisfying explanation. That seemed highly unrealistic and a cheap way to evoke sympathy for Hoffman's character.
I've got to disagree with that. I think the behavior that Streep's character demonstrates is that of a broken individual. As someone who has experienced divorce and seen the way it affects peoples behaviors I think they did an excellent job. I see where you could get that idea because it seems as if no one would truly behave like that but you would be amazed who stunningly realistic her performance is. Not sure if anyone else here knows what I'm talking about but that's just my two cents.

Jeff Costello's remaining Reviews:

Kramer Vs Kramer : Oscar winning drama directed by Robert Benton is unquestionable exhibit of a fine acting by Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman. But besides fine acting, Kramer vs Kramer is relatively mundane film. The story is insipid and uneventful and the emotional punch is not quite there. Particularly distinct was the excessive discrepancy between the main protagonists as flawed individuals. Writers went out of their way to present Joanna as a vile and detestable chatacter whose actions are never really justified nor given a proper and satisfying explanation. That seemed highly unrealistic and a cheap way to evoke sympathy for Hoffman's character.

(final three WILL be posted on the 17th)

Hoffman was written guilty, too. He had quite an arc to his story.

I've got to disagree with that. I think the behavior that Streep's character demonstrates is that of a broken individual. As someone who has experienced divorce and seen the way it affects peoples behaviors I think they did an excellent job. I see where you could get that idea because it seems as if no one would truly behave like that but you would be amazed who stunningly realistic her performance is. Not sure if anyone else here knows what I'm talking about but that's just my two cents.
very true. That opening scene watching her son sleep and then her attempting to explain and every emotion already drained out and just TRYING to get the will up to leave said a lot of the broken spirit that was going on inside her.
It's easy to think this was pro husband since it was him dealing with it all and trying to fill the void of her leaving them. Which, for me, there was a more subtle message that, at this time, can be missed, since during the time it came out, there was a re-examining of the roles within a household and who should be doing what.
Streep's character was simply doing what a lot of folks were doing during that time and trying to find themselves instead of being what was expected of them.

Also, with the ending, while more people would go a more selfish way in real life, it wa pretty nice to see her take the high road. It gave them all hope for a future life all around and a nice example of trying to be better persons.

@rauldc14, @Yam12, @Jay Redrum, @Joel, @Velvet, @CaptainT, @Jeff Costello, @Citizen Rules, @cricket, @HashtagBrownies

Just a quick note for everyone at where we stand.

I have Votes from everyone except CaptainT and Velvet. It could very well be a given that Cap is out, which, is a shame.
Velvet is short two movies and, therefore, unable to give a proper vote as well as a doctor's appointment, and if I gave him another week he could finish it, though I am of a mind to draw the curtain on this tonight. Which leaves me with the decision to leave his nom in and skip his vote in the countdown or simply remove it because I won't extend the deadline any further. . .

Also, Yam WILL be posting his reviews, which is why I will keep his nomination in and include his vote. The same goes with Jeff who has seen all of them but is simply missing 3 reviews which he will send in, within the next couple of days.

This is simply an update for everyone. It would be awesome if CaptainT made it across the finish line, which will be midnight tonight.
I have a preliminary tally if everyone makes it and will wait to do a final tally at midnight and, hopefully, will do a reveal Wednesday night depending on time at work.

THANKS EVERYONE and an extra THANK YOU for those who stepped up to make it across the finish line - THANKS!!

I say we do that and keep the current deadline.
Pretty much everyone hated his nom so we know its gonna finish at the bottom anyway

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

yeah leave me out

very true. That opening scene watching her son sleep and then her attempting to explain and every emotion already drained out and just TRYING to get the will up to leave said a lot of the broken spirit that was going on inside her.
It's easy to think this was pro husband since it was him dealing with it all and trying to fill the void of her leaving them. Which, for me, there was a more subtle message that, at this time, can be missed, since during the time it came out, there was a re-examining of the roles within a household and who should be doing what.
Streep's character was simply doing what a lot of folks were doing during that time and trying to find themselves instead of being what was expected of them.

Also, with the ending, while more people would go a more selfish way in real life, it wa pretty nice to see her take the high road. It gave them all hope for a future life all around and a nice example of trying to be better persons.
Nicely said. And I really liked that last note Dustin gave in the elevator when he told her she looked terrific and smiled as the doors closed. Very adult and satisfying. He took the high road and probably meant it, too. Too often movies portray ugliness and revenge as winning qualities, and then end it with bad karma for the vengeful type. Hahaha. Glad this wasn't the case with Kramer Vs Kramer.

To be completely honest guys, when I nominated F for Fake I had no clue what I was doing. I nominated a film that I wanted to see instead of a film that was a classic that I wanted everyone to see. If I knew what I was doing I would've nominated Duel probably.