The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
my review
This is the kind of film you can watch over and over as it's the moments and the glances that makes the movie special.

Out of the Past
my review
What a cast! Robert Mitchum & Kirk Douglas are two powerhouses in this film. And Jane Greer has got to be one of my favorite noir actress.

The Killers
my review
Kitty (Ava Gardener) in that single strap black evening gown, need I say more!

Three of my favorite films! But surprise! none of them made my list

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great set of movies!!

For the ones I haven't seen: Matter of Life & Death, Life and Death of Col. Blimp, and Les Enfants du Pardis.

I have seen Killers, which is a great noir with the always sexy Ava Gardner.
Out of the Past, another good one with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas - neither made my list.

And the one to make my list is The Ghost & Mr.s Muir at #9.

The Ghost and Mrs Muir

Yes, yes this film was, CHARMING.

The chemistry between Rex Harrison and Gene Teirney was truly wonderful to watch unfold and bloom to its final conclusion.
Just wonderful all the way around.
From the opening scene of Teirney's character taking a firm hold/control of her life to the amusing decision of moving into the house. How her face lit up upon completely understanding that the house was, indeed, haunted put a complete smile on my face.
I remember reviews remarking how it seemed the romance seemed rushed (I don't believe those exact words were used) but that Harrison actually caring about her seemed a bit too quick. I didn't see it as such. It is expressed that he gives her credit for not running away and the fact that she goes toe to toe with him, adds respect to the mix; and then, as he watches her get VERY comfortable with swearing, (there is something undeniably lovely about that. I've experienced it in my youth) and totally get Harrison caring so much for her.
I also get how, even though he remarks about "the rough waters ahead" or something to that degree about stepping aside and allowing her to make her own decisions regarding - an incredibly dashing - George Sanders.
Also, there was so much more spoken in the expressions than in the words at times and I truly enjoyed this.
One more thing, Harrison actually says that he decides who sees him and who doesn't. (I remember someone wondering about that as well.)

And of course, the final scene when the walk off together. . . what's the word I'm looking for? . . . ah, yes, CHARMING. Truly.

Seen: 47/69

My List:
#9 The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (33)
#11 Odd Man Out (55)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

Of this batch of films I only had Out of the Past on my list, at #10. It's so perfectly noir, encapsulating everything that is noir, though not so perfect that I didn't put four other noirs ahead of it on my list. And speaking of noir, I'm pretty lukewarm toward The Killers. I think the beginning is great, which is a very faithful adaptation of Heminigway's story, but once it moves past that and starts telling its own story, it loses its intensity. And for trivia some of you may not realize Andrei Tarkovsky made his own very faithful adaption of Heminway's The Killers as his student film, which you can find on youtube.

My List:

10. Out of the Past (#32)
11. The Philadelphia Story (#37)
12. Stray Dog (#64)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
18. The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
22. Gaslight (#41)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

If I were to guess on what we'll see and based on what's left....

25. The Spiral Staircase
24. (Top Thirty) Gaslight (41)
23. (Top Thirty)
22. (Coming soon)
21. (Probably won't make it)
20. (Coming soon)
19. (Top Thirty) The Killers (29)
18. All The Kings Men
17. (Probably won't make it)
16. (Probably won't make it) The Devil and Daniel Webster(46)
15. (Top Twenty)
14. I Walked with a Zombie
13. (Probably won't make it)
12. Pride of the Yankees
11. (Probably won't make it)
10. (Top Twenty-Five)
09. Black Narcissus
08. (Coming soon) The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp(31)
07. (Top Ten)
06. (Top Ten)
05. (Coming soon)
04. (won't make it)
03. Le Corbeau
02. (Top Five)
01. (Top Five)
4 new entrants for me

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
A Matter of Life and Death
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Out of the Past
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Children of Paradise
The Killers
A Matter of Life and Death, Out of the Past, and The Killers were all considered for my list, but none of them made it through the final cuts, (however A Matter of Life and Death came very close to making my list).

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is the only movie from this set that made my list. I expected it to be much higher than this on the countdown, so while I'm happy to see that it made the countdown, it's kind of sad to see it show up already. It was #4 on my list.

I haven't seen The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and Children of Paradise.

My list:
2) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
3) Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
4) The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
11) Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
15) Bambi (1942)
16) The Philadelphia Story (1940)
21) The Uninvited (1944)

Seen four of the six but only The Killers was relatively recently. As a result none of them made my list

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well, the big hitters are coming out now. I'm mentally downgrading some of my possibles to should-have-been's.

A Matter of Life and Death is my grandfather's favourite movie. He's watched it any number of times. He'd probably be incredulous if I told him it wasn't on my list, but while I think it is a fine film in many respects it didn't make the cut.

The Ghost and Mrs Muir is a wonderful film, Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are both on fine form and there's a lot in this film about loneliness, companionship and family expectations and at times it's both sad and humorous whilst also being a love story and a ghost story. It was #16 on my list.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp I watched only a few days ago, I didn't get round to it before the list submission date. I thought it was an enjoyable film to watch, with an interesting sort of message in terms of wartime propaganda. I think my favourite part was the montage of him passing several years without war, shown by an increasing number of animal heads mounted on his all. Interesting to see how that early 20th century 'duels and hunting' mentality was being shown as a relic of a bygone each in 1943.

Les Enfants du Paradis - I'd like to say that this is criminally low, but I have a feeling many people just haven't got round to watching it. I almost didn't. In fact it was the very last film I watched before turning in my list and I'm so glad I did see it in time. Just an incredible film of love, jealousy and the theatre which has surely been very influential on subsequent films. And yet it's not the plot of the film that's particularly special, it's the way it looks, the way it unfolds, an indefinable mesmeric quality. I was one of the three people who had it at #6.

I have watched both The Killers and Out of the Past. Both start with an interesting amount of tension, a small town, a secret violent past etc. Out of the Past looks great, but the noir genre isn't my favourite and while there are noir films on my list, neither of these grabbed me enough to put in my top 25.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Children of Paradise is a glorious masterpiece, 6th on my list, and the best French film of the 40s! I wish I had remembered more about it, other than some individual scenes and my amazement the day I watched it.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp was 2nd on my list! I had it higher than mark f! Take it, you sham The Archers fan! I hope it's not a recency (watching-wise) bias, since it's one of the most recent watches on my list. I initially rated it 4.5, but then could not stop thinking about it and had to give it a full 5 star rating. It seems that as the time passes. it only grows in my eyes. Here's what I had to say after I've seen it:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) -

Primarily meant as a propaganda film, the film escapes its bonds, becoming the best (and most moving) bromance in film history. It is also a tale of an idealist individual, who eventually comes to face the brutality of the passing of time and changes it brings. The only way to beat a ruthless enemy is to become ruthless yourself (bombing of Dresden as an answer to bombing of London), but are all enemies bad people and are all of us good? The inclusion of Walbrook's character may not be enough of an answer, but given the time the movie was made and its to-be propagandist formula, it's still impressive. Also, call me gay, but I absolutely adore Anton Walbrook, whom I seem to champion ever since I saw him for the first time in Gaslight. And his monologue in this film is striking. Is this the best movie ever made? Not very much. Is this a masterpiece? Very much.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I just want to say something to everyone involved with this countdown. I haven't been around because the absolute worst thing that could've happened with my mother has happened. And it has been a hellish past 3 days for me.

But I do have to do other things. I don't want to dwell on the terrible unhappiness that I feel right now. So I will finish this countdown. I will start to be faithful with it until the end. The only exception will probably be Friday. I know I won't do anything that day.

Anyway, I just wanted to say something about why I haven't been here, and I want to thank all of you again for your thoughts and prayers over the past couple of weeks. I did really appreciate it.

So I will get the past 2 days and tonight's movies posted.

~28~

Director: Max Ophuls
Producer: John Houseman & William Dozier
Distributor: Universal Pictures

171 Points - 11 Lists
(2nd; 5th-2x; 6th-2x; 8th; 11th; 14th; 16th;
19th; 23rd)

~27~

Day of Wrath

Director: Carl Theodor Dreyer
Producer: Carl Theodor Dreyer

174 Points - 10 Lists
(1st; 2nd; 4th; 6th; 7th; 8th; 11th; 12th; 14th; 21st)

~26~

Director: Robert Hamer
Producer: Michael Balcon & Michael Relph
Distributor: General Film Distributors

185 Points - 15 Lists
(3rd; 7th; 9th-2x; 10th; 12th; 14th; 15th-2x;
16th-2x; 18th; 19th-2x; 23rd)