Sherlock Holmes

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah, you just have to take Professor Van Helsing's word for this, although I'm kinda wondering if he's been turned to the Dark Side of the For... I mean, the Undead... since he's apparently still with us. Peter, umm, Abraham, please don't punish one of your biggest fans!

Semper Fooey
There was a graphic novel (fancy words for comic book) unrelated to Sherlock Holmes Vs. Dracula called Scarlet in Gaslight which had Holmes getting mixed up with Dracula and Jack the Ripper at the same time. It was well done.

There was a graphic novel (fancy words for comic book) unrelated to Sherlock Holmes Vs. Dracula called Scarlet in Gaslight which had Holmes getting mixed up with Dracula and Jack the Ripper at the same time. It was well done.
Ah...
Sounds interesting.

If you've ever read 2000AD you may also be aware of the story Killing Time which featured dimension hopping characters Winwood & Cord on the trail of Jack the Ripper (also a time traveller). Holmes wasn't in that one but I think his brother Mycroft made a brief appearance.

I'm of both minds, as I indicated a couple of pages back. Without getting into the issue of how to express these opinions, I'll just say that, yeah, this movie doesn't seem particularly true to the Holmes mythos, but it does look like great fun, too. I wish it just had a different title. Frankly, if I were going to make a satirical trailer about Hollywood-izing the character, it would be an awful lot like the one they've released.

Crapholes to it!

An upcoming XBox game looks more interesting actually.

The sometimes used fact that Holmes was around during the time of The Ripper murders has turned up explicitly in "Murder by Decree" and danced around in "A Study in Terror"...But there is now going to be a "Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper" game.

Looks interesting, even if the voices for Holmes and Watson are less than stellar. Should have got Clive Merrison.
Is it a port of this PC version, do you know?

If it is, I played it a few weeks ago, and loved it. It was reasonably challenging, but not impossible, and pretty well written. It uses real facts and suspects from the actual Ripper murders, and forms a pretty coherent, plausible theory as to the identity of the killer. It also weaves all this seamlessly into the conception of Holmes as a real detective, even going so far as to formulating reasons why the things you discover in the game do not affect the real history of the case.

You also have to recreate crime scenes, test possible murder weapons, and lay facts out in front of you in the proper order to draw logical conclusions. It's one of the best adventure-style games I've ever played. Can't recommend it enough, at least as far as the PC version goes. I don't know if the X-Box version is going to be a direct port, or something else entirely.

Is it a port of this PC version, do you know?

If it is, I played it a few weeks ago, and loved it. It was reasonably challenging, but not impossible, and pretty well written. It uses real facts and suspects from the actual Ripper murders, and forms a pretty coherent, plausible theory as to the identity of the killer. It also weaves all this seamlessly into the conception of Holmes as a real detective, even going so far as to formulating reasons why the things you discover in the game do not affect the real history of the case.

You also have to recreate crime scenes, test possible murder weapons, and lay facts out in front of you in the proper order to draw logical conclusions. It's one of the best adventure-style games I've ever played. Can't recommend it enough, at least as far as the PC version goes. I don't know if the X-Box version is going to be a direct port, or something else entirely.
Thanks for the info.
Going by the cover...it's the same game. No idea about it being a straight port over or not though.

I very much like Guy Ritchie.
I think Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law are superb casting.
The 19th century is my favorite period.
I find the occult twists to the plot intriguing.
I am going to enjoy this film. I know it.

That's superb, will. I'd + rep you a 100 if I could. I love those Hitler spoofs. I think that's the best one I've seen for ages. That said, it's still not my favourite. This is...

It's a bit sweary.

I' beginning to think that Hitler was an under-appreciated genius!

If only he could have got over all that Global conquest, Final Solution bollox I'm sure we could have had tea together.

I'm with Adolf. Who's joining us!?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I am soooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to seeing this movie it looks great I have to say

Its come out this week. I'm going to see it and hope its not crappy, sometimes when they set a film in the past like in England, the wood grain furniture and costumes make the whole film seem like A Crime and Punishment novel... Sometimes depressing when represented in animation... I do like Sherlock Holmes, but the novels are so good, how is this going to compare...?

@jrs LOL

I saw it... The fighting stuff was excellent. Sherlock Holmes is wicked at fighting, but also a bit mad. I didnt get how he managed to deduce a lot of the stuff that was going on, but Sherlock holmes is a pretty good detective. Dr Watson carries that whole film, totally a killer side kick. No bad costumes or CGI that could have flunked it, and Sherlock Holmes thinking stuff and then acting it out was cool. Pretty hot women actors too.