R.I.P. Dame Elizabeth Taylor

Tools    

R.I.P.
ELIZABETH TAYLOR

(February 27, 1932 - March 23, 2011)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
She gave one of the greatest performances ever in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? playing the much-older Martha although she was only 32. The wonderful National Velvet made her a big star before she was a teenager, and she continued on in her early years in many popular films giving significant performances. These would include the original Father of the Bride, A Place in the Sun, Giant, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Suddenly, Last Summer and The Taming of the Shrew.

OBITUARY

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYsONLJUTQ

R.I.P.

Is white trash beautiful
Elizabeth Taylor was a beautiful and very talented actress who one 2 oscars and nominated another 3 times. Rest In Peace Elizabeth Taylor.

I don't think even the greatest actor or actress can fake passsion or compassion on the screen without having great stores of such emotions within. As a native Texan, I've always been impressed by her performance in Giant where she treated the Tejanos as fellow Texans instead of "those people" as everyone else referred to them--both in the film and real life. Also look at the way she cared for and stood by Montgomery Cliff and Rock Hudson in their time of need. Elizabeth Taylor was one of the most beautiful women who ever graced the screen and a much better actress than many may have thought. But even as she aged past her beauty and her career, she remained a great humanitarian with an open and loving heart. That's how she should be remembered.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Very sad though this wasn't entirely unexpected. She had been fighting congestive heart failure the past months and has had a history of it. One thing I always liked about her, is how she stood up for the underdog or the misunderstood. Her many marriages make for nice tabloids, but her kindness seemed genuine in an industry where many workers wanted publicity or the appearance of being a good person. She, from what I've read, truly was.

My favorite performance of her is from one of my favorite films, A Place in the Sun, in which she and Montgomery Clift share an ill-fated relationship that crosses social classes. Her first adult role and probably her best. She shares one of the greatest on-screen kisses with Clift, whom she loved in real life despite his 10 years her senior. A picture of them together in the film hangs in my classroom.

It's too bad she didn't get a lot of great roles in her later years. Oddly enough my first exposure to her was in the early 90's in her White Diamonds commercials and the Flintstone movie. I know, I know, but I was 11.

She'll be missed.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

to be honest, the fact that this happens so often now in Hollywood, i'm not that stunned that she died. I mean its still sad, but deaths in Hollywood happen so often now, its like "Oh no, i really liked him/her...right back to life now".

Anyone get what i'm saying ?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Sure, I get what MM16 is saying, but sometimes a celebrity transcends the "so often" part. I realize that very few younger members even have a clue who Liz IS/was, but she was monumental and in honor of her passing, I highly recommend people to watch a few of her movies, preferably good-to-great ones, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. I've never even thought of her as a "Dame" before. She's just Liz Taylor, the beauty who was also a tremendous actress with an enormous heart and later decided to use her wealth to help others.

It's too bad she didn't get a lot of great roles in her later years.
The last film (time-wise) I can remember seeing Elizabeth Taylor in was the Miss Marple mystery The Mirror Crack'd. I loved the verbal knife-fight between her and Kim Novak as two aging but still competitive movie stars in that film!

One of the best lines ever was "I see you've kept your figure--and added so much to it!" I think that was a line from Novak's character in a voice just dripping syrupy venom.

to be honest, the fact that this happens so often now in Hollywood, i'm not that stunned that she died.
The minute we're born, we begin the process of dying, so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise to anyone whether in Hollywood or not. Yet I'm sure most are caught off guard when our own time runs out. We seen to think we'll be the exception to that rule.

Although not callous to death, I don't take it as a personal loss when some celebrity dies. After all, the majority of movie and TV stars and singers I've enjoyed the most are dead now, and many who I was around when they had their first big break are now either old or dead. (Example: First time I ever heard Ray Charles was when "What'd I Say" came on the radio right after a news announcement that Buddy Holly had died in a plane crash.)

I have to look back several years to performers I thought of as stars. I don't recognize any of the names and faces on People magazine covers nowadays.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
the movie that made me a Liz fan was Suddenly, Last Summer. she was just so freaking cute and dramatic in it.

she also had a really cute, girlish voice, too.

I love her in alot of movies..but my all time favorite Elizabeth Taylor movie is hands down "Taming of the Shrew" !