The Amazing Coen Brothers

Tools    

drop pants, not bombs
i want to know what people think of the coen brothers in this forum.
i think they are brilliant and great, and the cast that they use is also great.
i love their every movie from blood simple to the man who wasnt there.
so let me know what you think.

and you can email mee also
and itīs bigger than life

Joel & Ethan are geniuses, no doubt about it. Their scripts and direction are unique and peerless.

I'd rank their stuff...

1. Miller's Crossing, A++
2. Barton Fink, A+
3. Raising Arizona, A+
4. The Big Lebowski, A
5. O Brother, Where Art Thou?, A
6. The Hudsucker Proxy, A
7. The Man Who Wasn't There, A-
8. Fargo, A-
9. Blood Simple, B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You won't find any lack of Coen praise on this forum. I'm a huge fan of their stuff...I've yet to see a Coen Brothers flick that I haven't enjoyed. My rankings would be a bit different, however.
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou? (five stars)
  • Raising Arizona (four 1/2 stars)
  • Fargo (four stars)
  • The Hudsucker Proxy (four stars)
  • Miller's Crossing (three 1/2 stars)
Unfortunately, I've only seen parts of the others...though what I saw of The Big Lewbowski and The Man Who Wasn't There, I enjoyed thoroughly.

And what about their other two then, Commishy, Barton Fink and Blood Simple? Have you not even seen pieces of them yet?

I can't believe there are Coen Bros. flicks you haven't seen yet, and here you sit typing at a keyboard instead of remedying the situation.

For shame.

drop pants, not bombs
my ratings would be like this...

blood simple 4.5
raising arizona 4
barton fink 5
millers grossing 5
hudsucker proxy 3.5
fargo 5
oh brother where art thou 4.5
man who wasnt there 4
big lebowski 5

i think thats all, theyre all fantastic but my favorite is big lebowski.

drop pants, not bombs
what do you think of the cast. the standard actors that have been in most of their movies and the famous lead role actors like clooney and billy bob?

first of all steve buscemi, john turturro, john goodman, fran mcdormand and the others are fantastic, they always make good job and how small the part is, doesnt make a difference.

and clooney,macy, billy bob, bridges....
and those guys make also an excelent job.
because of the coen brothers we have seen the funny side of george clooney.

Yes, on top of everything else, they have a knack for perfect casting. I suspect that's mostly due to their total vision of their projects, plus no need to cow-tow to Studio pressures about one "hot" actor or another, focus groups, demographics and ***** like that. Their budgets are relatively modest and they return some sort of profit, so they're left alone to do what they do best.

They can use movie stars, from Albert Finney & Paul Newman to George Clooney, as perfectly as the rogue's gallery of character actors they've assembled, from M. Emmet Walsh & William H. Macy to Tony Shalhoub.

And for the record, Clooney's funny side was revealed long ago. Didn't you ever see "The Facts of Life" or Return of the Killer Tomatoes?

The wonderful Jon Polito (Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Hudsucker Proxy, The Big Lebowski, The Man Who Wasn't There) is the other of their regular stock company with Turturro, Buscemi, McDormand and Goodman. Lots of others with two or three movies thus far, but those are the big five.

drop pants, not bombs
sorry i didnt but iīm sure they are great movies.

seems that i forgot polito, sorry polito.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Rate the Coens very highly.

The Big Lebowski stars in my All-Time Top 10...and as we all know, "The Top 10" is a very prestigious club indeed.

Okay then, here's my first post. It's about the Coens, so I though it should go in here. Seems a like there are quite a few posts on these forums from A-Level Film Studies students, but I'm sure if I bump this older thread you won't mind contributing.

Anyway, I'm writing an essay/presentation on the Coen Brothers for a Film Studies course, and I have to produce some 'primary evidence' to inform my response. I thought I might use some of the replies in this thread as part of this research. Basically, I'm exploring <b>why</b> the Coens draw so heavily from film noir in many of their projects, and specifically in Blood Simple and The Man Who Wasn't There. I've considered a few of the most significant factors so far:

1) Their philosophical beliefs (fatalism/nihilism are both suited to noir)

2) The decade in which the Coens came to prominence, the 1980s, an arguably conservative + nostalgic period for America, with a former B-movie actor as president

3) Their views on traditional gender roles: the 1940/50s potent male lead is far removed from Ed Crane, The Man Who Wasn't/Isn't There

OR

4) Personal preference - Joel and Ethan reject high-minded theorising. Film noir is just a style that they pastiche successfully.

It's useful to know how individuals respond to the Coens' style, even if you don't explain conclusively the directors' intentions.
Any thoughts?

They are real tricksters. That's why they're awesome.