Rioting in the U.S.

Tools    

Well, According to @John McClane 's posts I'm definitely a racist. I also consider that type of racism a positive trait in a person (arguing matters based on facts and logic instead of the race of a person making a claim). Saying that a person can make a claim about something, and someone else can't argue that claim based on their ethnicity is insane (it's also racist, btw).

You ready? You look ready.
@jiraffejustin - That is an excellent question. The best one in here by far!

https://www.upbeacon.com/article/201...pleletsimprove

I’ve already said it a couple of times, but I’ll say it again: listen. Actively listen.

If you’re white and trying to refute claims of racism you know what you’re not doing? Listening.

I know it’s hard to believe that the bar is so low, but that’s where it starts. Just listen.

You ready? You look ready.
I agree with a lot of what that dude said. But I also hear what a lot of young people are telling me about lack of representation in the media (i.e. movie roles and stories of lived experiences that speak to them) or expectations placed upon them to stand as a representative of their race/home country.

White privilege is a bogus term/idea because anybody can pick it apart. Like the video said it’s an 80s thing. Aside from synth music name one good thing that came from the 80s.

That’s why I call it how it is and use the word racism.

I see that video is from Prager U.

A bit off topic, but back when I was a security guard on the night shift - whenever I had to man the main gatehouse in between my rounds, I'd listen to Dennis Prager on the radio (some station played his show in the wee hours of the morning).
I have to say I rarely heard anything from him I disagreed with.

That was in 1992 (that was 28 years ago!) At the time I thought Dennis Prager was some old dude. Saw him on TV sometime this year and he looked pretty good - guess he wasn't as old as I thought he was back in 1992.
He's 71 now, so back when I was listening to him he was then younger than I am now!
He's only 16 years older than I am.

Just found this dude and was very impressed, not necessarily by what he says but with the way he communicates. If you disagree you are racist so I say!

I agree with a lot of what that dude said. But I also hear what a lot of young people are telling me about lack of representation in the media (i.e. movie roles and stories of lived experiences that speak to them)
I get that, but I think that comes with being part of any minority group. I think it has gotten better.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
...A bit off topic, but back when I was a security guard on the night shift - ...

I'm really upset none y'all beat me to this.

I think the week of riots, arson, looting, vandalism, assaults and murders advanced the racist narratives more than anything.

So if a minority calls out a white person as racist, just the act of defending themselves would prove their point. This is ludicrous.

So how can a white person help end racism?

Well what is the thread topic...Rioting in the US not protesting in the US or police brutality in the US or murder in the US...rioting.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It's coming out that George Floyd didn't get along with Derek Chavin when they worked together at a nightclub, apparently due to Chauvin being "too aggressive", could this be a simple case of "I've got you now! I'm in charge", so I'm gonna abuse my Police powers to get my own back.

There are also reports that Chavin had agreed to plead guilty to the 3rd degree murder charge but that was taken off the table and the charge was raised to 2nd degree, probably in relation to the above.

America has a big race problem and race may have played a part in the "spark" that's ignited this unrest, but this incident looks like another ******* cop abusing his authority for personal reasons.

It's coming out that George Floyd didn't get along with Derek Chavin when they worked together at a nightclub, apparently due to Chauvin being "too aggressive", could this be a simple case of "I've got you now! I'm in charge", so I'm gonna abuse my Police powers to get my own back.
I believe the owner originally said that the 2 didn't know each other but I find it hard to believe they didn't cross paths during all those years. Coming in for drinks, to pick up their check, covering a shift; just because they didn't work the same night doesn't mean they never met. On the other hand, my impression is that the cop wasn't sociable. It seems odd that we haven't heard from many people who knew him, just the honky woman he yanked out of the car in front of her baby. He was in a lot of debt, had a rocky marriage, and a violent history. I'm taking a leap, but my guess is that he was miserable, stressed, and thought he was above the law. If I'm his wife, I'm looking at George Floyd and thinking that could've been me.

Well what is the thread topic...Rioting in the US not protesting in the US or police brutality in the US or murder in the US...rioting.
You are right.

Ok, going for a riot after a few beers can be a good time, but you may feel regret in the morning.

Is it worth it?

I have no idea where this line of reasoning involving questions started, so I think that’s why you’re confusing me.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with asking questions. Asking questions is a good thing and cannot be racist. In fact, asking questions is what gets you answers to reveal how and why something is racist. So I’m all for questions.

“There is no evidence that [insert event here] was race related” is not a question. It’s a statement. An argument.
Well, it's a response to a statement, a demand for evidence on the initial claim. But even so I'm not sure I see a meaningful distinction, in this context. All the things I'm saying about questions apply just as much to statements.

When a white person in America makes an argument such as that in response to a minority’s claim of racism then that automatically qualifies as racism because of the current systems of power in place and the history of demonization advanced by whites.
Now I'm not sure we've clarified anything, because this is exactly the sentiment I was taking issue with. And I don't see how the ideas on either side of the word "because" are related.

I think this logic still applies:
Not EVERYTHING is racist, right? Therefore it is possible to say a thing is racist when it's not. And I hope we can agree that's bad. So why would it be bad to demonstrate this? It seems like the opposite--claiming a non-racist thing is racist--is the bad thing.
I'd like to see some kind of syllogism explaining why a white person disputing a charge of racism--even when it is not racist and they are correct to dispute it--is racist anyway. And, even if that were established, it seems worth examining whether the definition of "racist" you're using is a good one, if it actually includes correctly disputing a false claim.

I'm coming around to the idea that there was intent in this case. With the stresses I mentioned that the cop was going through, he might have just snapped. If he did in fact have a history with Floyd, it could have given him even more of a push. We will probably never know because I don't expect him to tell the truth about how he felt.

You're all a bunch of racist unracists with your nonracist racism. Notzis!

There, that should make both parties happy. Geez.