Favourite tough WOMAN

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
oh oh oh oh oh!!!! exciiiiteddd ...

as you can tell my first true love is Aeon Flux, WHY are you only letting us chose movie women! yeah yeah it's a movie site pfft. I say that because NO I do not mean the remake crap. Charlize Theron in My Lady's place was an abomination, I don't care if they dyed her hair black.

Anyway. Agreed re: Sarah Connor. Agreed Re: Ripley. I definitely like these women.

The thing I'd say about my preferred/idea of a tough woman, is that she is by NATURE something dangerous, ie, she is not MADE into something dangerous by circumstances or a wrong done to her. Ie, it was a given, not a choice, to be something dangerous/tough.

So Sarah Connor and Ripley and The Bride = tough women in tough circumstances. I like them and see where others dig em, but I can't by my definition. I honestly never saw The Bride as a true assassin, which she supposedly was before getting married. Even those gangly limbs showed survival instincts, not the toned muscle of Vivica Fox when they fought. She seemed to be a normal woman in extraordinary circumstances who was dangerous not by sheer talent or skill or nature but by her animal instinct to survive, retrieve her daughter, and punish the man who hurt them both. Between her and the other women in the movie I found O-ren Ishii more the true tough woman by my book - so ruthless she chops off men's heads with grace and cold serenity. WOO!

ahem. so this sense of "dangerous by nature" comes to me via:

- aeon
- kate beckinsale in underworld, though she's still a little soft. she lost some points rolling around in that love scene in the sequel.
- toootally re: angela bassett (she kicks halle berry as Storm anyway)
- haha re: the chick from Heavy Metal, i'd say she and aeon were the precursors to all these women!
- and THANK YOU re: La Femme Nikita!!! Though she was made into a weapon so she doesn't quite count for me. I fell in love with her and then met Aeon and traded up. my trophy killer upgrade!
- kinda sorta Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil. though she leans toward that survivor feral sorta thing.
- totally love trinity, esp in that awesome shiny black pleather, ehhehe. i felt like jada pinkett coulda been something but she fell all flat.

i like my women killers intense, violent, skilled with weaponry/martial arts, showing physical prowess while retaining their womanly charms, and exacting, not all wacked out and hyper or scared. like, they can BE scared they just have to be so tough they barely show it. ya know?

- toootally re: angela bassett (she kicks halle berry as Storm anyway)
I'm all about this. Bassett should have been Storm. Still should be, actually. She embodies the role; tough, a little bit older than most A-list actresses, but still strikingly beautiful. The woman just exudes strength, too. It's such a no-brainer of a casting decision, that it still amazes me they got it wrong.

Hey, Vasquez! You ever been mistaken for a man?

No. Have you?
There ya go!
Vasquez was the first name that popped into my head when I saw this thread.

That being said, Barbara Stanwyck was great as a tough woman.
Has anyone mentioned Faye Dunaway yet? I forget. Anyway, for Bonnie and Clyde and Network alone she deserves to be listed.

Also Lauren Bacall, at least in To Have And Have Not if for nothing else.

A system of cells interlinked
I would have to disagree on Dunaway for the Network role. I found her character to be weak. I mean the actual character, not her acting job, which was fine. I just found myself having trouble respecting her sell-out, anything for a ratings point approach to life. I mean, she was definitely a bitch, but, tough? Nah...

I would have to disagree on Dunaway for the Network role. I found her character to be weak. I mean the actual character, not her acting job, which was fine. I just found myself having trouble respecting her sell-out, anything for a ratings point approach to life. I mean, she was definitely a bitch, but, tough? Nah...
Ditto

keiran knightley in Pirates of the Caribbean
and King Arthur

Lena Headey in Brothers Grimm

Just a girl who loves movies
Maggie from Million Dollar Baby. Am not into "martial arts chicks" maybe because I practice MA and many of them do blow as technique. That means I despise Kill Bill and Matrix with a passion and other similar "flicks" .. but Million Dollar Baby was more "real" and human in the end.

Jennifer Connelly as Alicia Nash,who supports her math prodigy husband and accompanies him all the way through the terrible years of suffering schizophrenia to win the Nobel Prize.

The Bride in Kill Bill Vols. 1 and 2 is so tough to handle.

Keira Knightley on the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End..

Jodie Foster - Flightplan and The Brave One
Catherine Zeta Jones - Entrapment
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill
Sigourney Weaver - Alien series

For me nothing can beat Kate Beckinsale in this movie the Underworld!!!....

Hey, Vasquez! You ever been mistaken for a man?

No. Have you?
That's one hell of a scary woman...just to think that she can knock your head off in one punch!!! OUCH!

Ripley, definitely. She's what makes the Alien movie franchise a cut above. There's a deleted scene in Aliens that concerns her daughter that certainly adds an extra dimension to her battle against the Queen and her relationship with Newt. I could never work out why they cut it, I guess test audiences reacted poorly.

Anyway, while not tough in the action-movie sense I've always had a soft spot for Kate Blanchett's Elizabeth I in Elizabeth. Oh, and Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest although, she might be more inhuman than tough.

Etsuko "Sue" Shiomi, made famous by Sonny Chiba's 1970's choppy-socky films. She's awesome.

My vote goes to Lucy Liu and Maggie Q. They are really tough