War of the Worlds (1953)
10.53%
4 votes
Forbidden Planet (1956)
44.74%
17 votes
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are five of the most influential and successful Science Fiction films of the 1950s, the movies that defined and popularized the genre. For you, which is the best of the best?

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	robby.jpg
Views:	1271
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	15777  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

well now holden, that's a tough call...as for favorites i'd have to pick Invasion Of The Body Snatchers...truly disturbing and scary. But a hard vote..... they are all classic....my second place choice would be Forbidden Planet, although i like The Thing From Another World (more so because it led to it's modern remake The Thing with Kurt Russel)

Yeah, they are all great, but for me Don Siegel's Invasion of the Body Snatchers is an easy choice. I've seen that flick more times than I can remember anymore.

Attachments

Name:	body.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	15779  

"War of the Worlds," simply because the conclusion is so very logical, yet so very surprising, too. I remember being in awe of how clever it was when I was younger.

You'd have to thank H.G. Wells for that bit of inspired brilliance, but George Pal's film production was particularly impressive, especially in its day. It still holds up pretty well. God bless the common cold!

OK I'd didn't vote cause I've only seen two of them which I love The Thing and Invasion I'll have to come back on this one Mr. Pike and tell you buddy.

B&W
Sci-Fi is one movie genre that I believe the movies get outdated.
Or at least '50s Sci-Fi's have anyway.

On 2nd thoughts, prehaps i shouldn't say anything as I have never seen any of the films listed in the poll!

Peace,

I hear they are planning to remake Forbidden Planet, and give Roddy the Robot a completely new image.

That's Robby the Robot.

I haven't heard about a Forbidden Planet re-make, but since the main spine of the story is simply Shakespeare's The Tempest, why not give it another whirl with today's effects? I certainly can't be any worse than the recent Planet of the Apes re-make, and I feel it has potential to be decent - depending on who's behind it, of course.

Steven Soderbergh is apparently going to re-make Tarkovsky's Solaris (GREAT flick!), so it should be interesting to see how it translates. I'll bet that one will work, because it's such strong material and Soderbergh is so inventive.

Attachments

Name:	solaris.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	15778  

I meant Robby the Robot. Total Film nominates Pierce Brosnan in Leslie Nielsen's role, Sean Connery as Dr Morbius and Julia Stiles as the girl whose name I've forgotten.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
50's Sci-Fi? Where are such cult favorites as It Conquered the World, or The Giant Leeches, or even the majesty that is The Giant Gila Monster? Yes, they are terrible, but I still love them in all their half formed, retarded glory, and they're more fun than the films on the poll. Sorry.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

No need to apologize, but as I said, this is a list of five of the most influential and successful movies of the genre, not a half dozen cult classics that you may enjoy for their camp value.

If you want to start your own poll where Plan 9 From Outer Space, Robot Monster, Beginning of the End, The Killer Shrews, and It Conquered the World fight it out, be my guest.

I own a whole bunch of that junk, including Plan 9 From Outer Space, Robot Monster, The Giant Leeches, The Screaming Skulls, and Beginning of the End, but that's not what I'm after here.

What a great poll! I had to go for Invasion. WoW was my favorite for a long time, but Invasion snatched my vote for creepyness.

I've actually never seen ANY of these. I always wanted to see DTESS, but never got around to it.

i've only seen 'the day the earth stood' still so that wins for me.

klaatu verada nicto

or is that necktie..you all know what i am talking about...I hope.

people are right though where is 'plan 9'??
it has become a truly cult experience now.

gone
Hey, What about The Blob starring the "king of cool" Steve McQueen. That's an absolute influential classic

(nah, definately invasion of the body snatchers...)

Well I watch THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and man was I dissapointed. I don't understand the great appeal this movie has gooten over the years.

It was really basic stuff nothing special I could be wrong I'm not considering when it was made. it was just on par everything was a C average.

What do you like about it so much HOLDEN must do tell.

Peace

What about Them ?

I'm not talking about the prequel to What About Bob, but the sci-fi movie about giant, atomic sized ants.

Never seen any of them cept for body snatchers so it would be that.

I was just here to ask which Invasion of the Body Snatchers should I watch first, the 1956 or 1978 one.

But since 1956 one is mentioned here.. I am guessing most would recommend 1956 one, but it's better to ask anyway.