Werewolf Films

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
One word for you folks

Wolfen (1981) Albert Finney/Edward James Olmos

Although somewhat flawed in that it goes slightly overboard with an environmental message, Wolfen has enough style and creative juice to make it a film to remember. Blending American Indian mythology, gumshoe detective work, and lycanthropy in to a sort of tripped out package (the shots seen through the wolves eyes are warped and a bit psychadelic), Wolfen is a change of pace from the the years other two wolf pieces, An American Werewolf in London, and The Howling (admittedly creepy, but has a much more B-movie feel than Wolfen to me).

The director of Wolfen (Michael Wadleigh) has the best eye for creative shots in comparison to the other two directors, and doesn't rely on boo tactics to get cheap scares out of his audience. The acting in this film is also better than the other films with Hines and Finney bringing interesting characters to life for the story. I guess what sets this film apart for me if the visceral atmosphere created by the unique photography used in this picture, and the fact that the wolves are given a sense of majesty and history, which I haven't seen done in a wolf flick before.

scope it out folks...

Originally Posted by Sedai
One word for you folks

Wolfen (1981) Albert Finney/Edward James Olmos

scope it out folks...

I agree... I love that film. You should copy this review over to the review section... 'twould make a nice a nice addition to the collection over there.

The WereWolf TV show was one of my favs. Though I would have to say American Werewolf in Paris was the best Werewolves I have seen. Ginger Snaps and silver bullet were very good to. But Amercan Werewolf in London was the best movie.

The Green Lantern
The Company of Wolves was a wicked movie.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

I have yet to see Dog Soldiers , i saw the trailer, it looks okay. I liked Ginger Snaps and An American Wereolf in London and Paris. Full Moon High was a funny werewolf movie. I am trying to think of other werewolf movies. The only thing i can think of is The Monster Squad. But that also had Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy and some sea creature. I liked the movie as a kid, but now that i look back at it, i laugh. It's just corny.

Oh and i want to check out The Brotherhood of the Wolf. And also there was that Jack Nicholson film Wolf, that was okay i guess. I forgot to mention i liked Silver Bullet and Teen Wolf, Teen Wolf 2 was okay. I think they should make a movie from one of my favorite books Blood and Chocolate by: Annette Curtis Klause. But knowing movies, they will probably screw it up and it will not be as good as the book.

There was a real good paperback some years ago called "Cry Wolf" The main guy was named Joshua I believe. Very good book.

Silver Bullet, Brotherhood of the wolf and Dog soldiers are my favs.....I wish White Wolf would do a movie, the concepts they have are amazing.

Glad some folks here mentioned Bad Moon. It was a small film that got little notice. It had a nice, scary, intense scene I think toward the end. Overall, a worthy entry. Dog Soldiers was a fav of mine as well. A Bit of a variation on the genre.

"You Couldn't Make It Up...!!!"
WOLFEN hands down. Ecoligically sound, good use of the city scapes, interesting premise, no cop out ending...

I'm also fond of THE HOWLING and it's immensely entertaining sequel HOWLING II: STIRBA WEREWOLF BITCH, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, the original WOLFMAN and DOG SOLDIERS...

John.

and, um, the Italian WEREWOLF WOMAN with the astoundingly feral looking Anik Borel (and that's BEFORE she grows a carpet of hair) is a pure er, self indulgent pleasure.

John.

The best Werewolf Movie of all time is the original mainstream werewolf movie, 'An american werewolf in London'. The Sequel is also good and 'Ginger Snaps' is a brilliant werewolf film. That Underworld thing about Vampires and Werewolves was garbage. I agree someone should make a film about a werewolf hunter but people will think it is a rip-off of Blade.

"28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds....... That is when the world will END" - Donnie Darko (2001)

Originally Posted by outTHERE2003uk
The best Werewolf Movie of all time is the original mainstream werewolf movie, 'An american werewolf in London'. The Sequel is also good and 'Ginger Snaps' is a brilliant werewolf film. That Underworld thing about Vampires and Werewolves was garbage. I agree someone should make a film about a werewolf hunter but people will think it is a rip-off of Blade.
Oh, I also forgot to mension a decent werewolf film I own, which is "Dog Soldiers". Pretty good, British Film. Good that some decent horror films are being made by people in my country 'Dog Soldiers', '28 Days Later', ect.

I just saw "gingersnaps the beginning" . It was definitly better than the other two movies . The howling was actually good for its day back in 1982 so i can't complain too much . and i personally am very fond of dog soldiers. another decent one is "werewolf" the 1996 version . Half of the problem i think is that no one has come up with a really convinceing looking wolf. As far as the plots are concerned i think they should stop showing the werewolfs so early on . they need more suspence.

My life isn't written very well.
The Company of Wolves: Older flick from the 80's, but still entertaining.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by Deckard
I do yearn for a pure, dark moody, unflinching and intimate portrait of a man going through the mental and physical transition into a wolf and back. If it can take itself seriously and have the brains to back it up there could be some solid entertainment had by all.
Sounds like you're talking about The Wolf Man. When all is said and done, still the best of the lot. Sure the creature effects aren't as good as what can be done nowadays, but for sheer atmosphere, decent acting, and a terrific script, it can't be beat.
Lon Chaney Jr.'s Larry Talbot is the definitive tortured soul, and the supporting roles by Claude Raines, Bela Lugosi, and Maria Ouspenskaya are all great.

For the record, I also love AWIL, Ginger Snaps, and Dog Soldiers, although that POS that is American Werewolf In Paris shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence as its predecessor. Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed is also worth a look, by the way.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
i thought teen wolf was kinda hokey and the fact that everyone just accepted that this kid was a werewolf just bugged me.

i thought underworld was a good interpretation of the werewolf simply because of the way the wolf suits were designed, less hair, much bigger and the wolf like legs. I thought they looked awesome. Although the wolf-man change in An American Werewolf in London is top notch, i love the wolfy change in underworld where I think his name is David, changes in the cop car, it looks absolutely brutal.

I saw this werewolf movie when I was a little kid and I can't remember the title...

...all I remember is a scene wherein the werewolf swipes the head off a man (a businessman in his 50's I think) -- then the head settles on its stump -- close-up on the head, mouth still moving.

Aside from the Howling series and American Werewolf...the werewolf sub-genre is sorely lacking in good quality films.

Werewolfs? Germany will never surrender!