Horror
12.20%
5 votes
Crime
12.20%
5 votes
War / Westerns
41 votes. You may not vote on this poll

IMDb lists 22 film genres, and I had to get the list down to 12, so I combined some like Fantasy/Sci-Fi.

The movie that hooked me on cinema was The World According To Garp. What genre that was, I have no idea

I went with Drama. Pretty sure it will dominate the poll at MoFo. You get the most memorable performances that last for decades thru drama. Comedy and comedians are very underrated though.

Fantasy/Science Fiction. I'd think that would dominate for everyone of my generation, just as it was arguably Westerns for the previous one. I don't know what the current generation's preference would be, but superhero films are widespread now.

I don't like "genres" sometimes because I think a decent argument could be made that the majority of films could be classed as dramas. But for certain things it works.

I love Westerns.

This is a toughie. There's usually one movie from each genre that I consider an all-time favorite. LOTR for fantasy, The Killer for action, Reservoir Dogs for crime; Fight Club for drama, Full Metal Jacket for war, American Werewolf/Silent Hill for horror and so on.

Though since I have to pick one, I'll pick crime. Reservoir Dogs, Goodfellas, Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Scarface, Taxi Driver and many others are all among my favorites.

I like every genre and am more concerned with whether or not the film is well-crafted than what genre it is. However, since I'm in western mode right now, I'll pick that.

What, no Film Noir on the poll? (I know you only get 12 poll spots) I like most genres but it depends when they're made. I have to guess Musicals are the least loved genre here. I mean how many people loved Singing In the Rain or Oklahoma?...Raise your hands!....Looks around and doesn't see any hands

I know, but that was a funny discussion, just, you know, the way he said things.

But yeah, IMDb has it as a genre more for categorical/seperation purposes so people can easily see animations, sort them etc.

Picking a favorite genre is not ideal, unless your favorite genre is "movies", which is mine.

If I had to pick though, I guess I would pick drama, since I feel like that's the genre which gives you most freedom and it is therefore the most varied one. But again, it is an impossible task that should never be forced onto a cinephile.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Voted for westerns. Over this past year I've really gotten into the genre: Ford, Boetticher, Hawks, Tourneur, Mann. It's such a rich genre with so much to choose from.

Though not a big fan of it being labeled alongside war films

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I'm gonna use an umbrella term here and say that Exploitation films are my favourite, because it doesn't so much stand as a genre in it's own right, but more or less defines a film of any genre by specific categories. I like anything taboo, lurid or generally anything frowned upon by the public at large.

I did vote Horror though.

Sorry if the War / Westerns category seems too diametrical. At one time both completely owned the movie industry, but now neither do. Thought they could support each other in a category, Idk, I wish I placed Noir over Animation, but if there wasnt any mention of animation as a choice Im sure that would have gone over poorly. Probably would have put Noir with Crime in retrospect.

I have to return some videotapes...
If Psychological Thriller was an option I would choose that, because when that is done well it's almost always an instant classic.