Recommendation thread.

Tools    

I figured since a lot of people ask for recommendations that instead we could create an on-going thread. I'll be dropping off titles here as frequently as possible and try to keep it diverse. If you're looking for anything specific or have titles of your own you want to share, just jump in any time. No reviews necessary. If you want, you can give us a brief explanation as to why you recommend it.

Comedy : Going By The Book
Drama/Romance: Neo Ned
Drama: Beneath Hill 60
Animation: The Painting
Horror: Sensored
Sci-Fi: Love
Thriller: Red Road
Documentary: Voices
Fantasy: After Life
TV series: Raised By Wolves

Comedy: Hot Tub Machine
- One of the biggest surprise I've ever had was watching this movie because everything is hilarious in it and some great songs and soundtracks too in this flick. Rob Corddry is awesome.
Romance: The Notebook (yup)
- I'm not a romance type of guy but this one make me cry during 20min.
Drama: Requiem For A Dream
- Masterpiece of his own against drug addiction and some scenes are shocking... Everything is perfect acting, direction and Atmosphere is just fantastic.
Animation: The Lion King
- The definition of a childhood classic for me. I just cannot stop crying each time I watch this one.
Horror: Sinister
- My favorite horror with The Shining and arguably the best theatrical experience I've ever had. This one is a big favorite of mine and it's scary as hell baby.
Sci-Fi: Interstellar
- Intelligent, Sophisticated and brilliant. Christopher Nolan strikes again.
Thriller: Joy Ride
- Low Budget road trip thriller with Steve Zahn and Paul Walker. Big favorite of mine and I love every part of it.
Documentary: Sharkwater
- Shocking documentary about how Humans are pathetic. I am destroyed everytime I watch this documentary and Rob Stewart is a hero a true super-hero.
TV Series: The Walking Dead
- Yup I love The Walking Dead and it's probably my favorite TV-Show. I love Zombies, I love the interraction, I love the characters and the storyline is all that I like. I love Survival Movie/TV-Show.

These Are Mine.

ill do someones that a lot of people havent see ( or at least i think they didnt)

Comedy: We're the Millers
Pretty funny if u have nothing else to watch

Romance: You've Got Mail
Actually pretty entertaining and funny. Even better if you know the references.

Drama: Boyhood
Really interesting because its so different from other movies and you can actually relate to the main character. THo i don't like what he becomes.

Animation: Shaun the Sheep
I thought this movie was really stupid but it was surprisingly funny. Has a lot of childish humor but still makes you laugh.

Horror: Alien
THis is probably the only horror movie ive ever seen(except krampus but that was garbo)

Sci Fi: Edge of Tomorrow
Probably the most famous underrated movie. Really good, basically Groundhog day but action and aliens.

Thriller: Prisoners
Only watched this cuz a friend of mine told me to but was really good. Suspenseful and thrilling, had me hooked the entire time.

TV show: Gravity Falls
Dont watch tv at all but i like this show

Drama:

The cure 1995

I CANNOT recommend this movie enough!

i cannot post links yet but a simple google search should do just fine.

I figured since a lot of people ask for recommendations that instead we could create an on-going thread. I'll be dropping off titles here as frequently as possible and try to keep it diverse. If you're looking for anything specific or have titles of your own you want to share, just jump in any time. No reviews necessary. If you want, you can give us a brief explanation as to why you recommend it.
Brilliant idea , great:

Comedy: The Closet
Drama/Romance: Falling in Love
Drama: The Lives of Others
Animation: Ulysses 31
Horror: Entity
Sci-Fi: Cargo
Thriller: The Hunters
Documentary: My Best Fiend
Fantasy: The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes
TV series: Secret Army

Horror: Alien
THis is probably the only horror movie ive ever seen(except krampus but that was garbo)
Greta ?

DDrama : :

The cure 1995

I CANNOT recommend this movie enough!

i cannot post links yet but a simple google search should do just fine.
Here you go. Let me know if it's not the one.

[quote=MonnoM;1539166]Here you go. Let me know if it's not the one.

THATS THE ONE! Thank you!

Holy crap. A Lopushanskiy film. Great stuff! I'm thinking of reviewing this soon. Any fans of Tarkovsky should check out this guy's work.

Yes! Another super obscure favorite. A great microcosm of the 80s DIY punk rock lifestyle.

I have both of these on DVD. Both are true hidden gems.

Holy crap. A Lopushanskiy film. Great stuff! I'm thinking of reviewing this soon. Any fans of Tarkovsky should check out this guy's work.

Yes! Another super obscure favorite. A great microcosm of the 80s DIY punk rock lifestyle.

I have both of these on DVD. Both are true hidden gems.
Gems they are. I'll be on the lookout for your review.

Here's some recommendations that may not always get mentioned enough:

Comedy: OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (2006)
Drama: Sunrise (1927)
Romance: About a Boy (2002)
Animation: Persepolis (2007)
Horror: Vampyr (1932)
Science Fiction: Moon (2009)
Thriller: Play Misty for Me (1971)
Fantasy: Midnight in Paris (2011)
Western: The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972)
War: No Man's Land (2001)

A selection of some lesser known stuff that I really like:

Sci-fi: Accion Mutante - Awesome, twisted film from the director of the amazing El dia de la bestia.

Horror: Dagon - Wierd, tentacle-y H.P. Lovecraft adaption. I'm obviously biased toward Stuart Gordon, but this has been a favorite for years.

Fantasy/surrealism: The Hourglass Sanatorium - Not the most engaging or comprehensible plot, but very visually stunning.

Comedy: The Cat and the Canary - An old mystery with Bob Hope. Plenty of atmosphere, and a lot of classic mystery charm (secret passageways, overnight story, off-screen murder, etc.)

TV: The Lost Room - Riveting! A great premise too.

A selection of some lesser known stuff that I really like:

Sci-fi: Accion Mutante - Awesome, twisted film from the director of the amazing El dia de la bestia.

Horror: Dagon - Wierd, tentacle-y H.P. Lovecraft adaption. I'm obviously biased toward Stuart Gordon, but this has been a favorite for years.

Fantasy/surrealism: The Hourglass Sanatorium - Not the most engaging or comprehensible plot, but very visually stunning.

Comedy: The Cat and the Canary - An old mystery with Bob Hope. Plenty of atmosphere, and a lot of classic mystery charm (secret passageways, overnight story, off-screen murder, etc.)

TV: The Lost Room - Riveting! A great premise too.
Great additions. The Lost Room was such an excellent series, I miss it. Cat and The Canary was pretty good also. I think Dagon may be one of the very very very few films based on Lovecraft's work that actually did it right. The other mentions I've never seen but I'm adding them to my watchlist now.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I'll go for older ones (70's/80's)

Comedy Blazing Saddles (1974)--Mel Brooks madcap western romp
Drama/Romance Minnie and Moskowitz (1971) oddball couple via John Cassavetes
Drama The Silent Partner (1978) Elliott Gould in cat/mouse bank heist
Animation American Pop (1981) awesome history of pop music in US
Horror Phantasm (1979) teenage boy vs the Tall Man w sick weapons
Sci-Fi Millennium (1989) Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd and timequakes
Thriller Jaws (1979) Get a bigger boat
Documentary Decline of Western Civilization Part II the Metal years (1988). Hair bands!
Fantasy Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) Candy Classic
TV series M.A.S.H. (1972) classic comfort show

link to trailers,tried to put movies that werent to familiar to people.
Drama: The Dead girl (2006)
A woman going for a walk finds the corpse of younger woman in the fields.
This has the multi connected storyline ala babel and crash only 100 x better.
Starring: Brittany Murphy,Toni Collette,Giovanni Ribisi,Kerry Washington,Rose Byrne,James Franco,Marcia Gay Harden,Mary Steenburgen & Bruce Davison.

Thriller: The Hole (2001)
4 teenagers decide to skip out of classtrip by having a private party down a bomb shelter.Things go awry when they notice they`ve locked themselfs in.
Starring: Thora Birch,Keira Kneightley,Desmond Harrington and Laurence Fox

Horror: Static
A young couple wakes up to a knock on the door from a frightened girl in need of help.
Starring: Milo Ventimiglia,Sarah Shahi and Sarah Paxton

Quirky: U turn (1997)
A man trying to get to Vegas to pay off some debt is stranded in a small town far away from anything..and his bad luck has just started! Its difficult to put this into a genre,its comedic but in a dark way-a quirky drama/thriller
Starring: Sean Penn,Jennifer Lopez,Nick Nolte,Jon Voight,Joaquin Phoenix,Claire Danes & Billy Bob Thorton.

okay,I`ll do one foreign edition aswell as those are the ones i prefer:

Drama:
Lilya 4 Ever (2002) Russian/Swedish
a 16 year old estonian girl travels to Sweden after her new boyfrind promises her a job and a better life-when she gets there she soon realises that things wont go as he promised

Bad Guy (2002) Korean
A man obsessed with a woman,starts to plan his revenge after she turns him down

Jagten (2013)
A man is wrongly accused of being a pedohile by his friends daughter

Thriller:
Irreversible (2002)
After his girlfriend is viciously attacked and beaten up,her boyfriend and ex boyfriend try to find the man responsible

Sleep Tight (2011) Spanish
A janitor becomes obsessed with a young woman after he tries to ruin her good mood but fails.

Romance:
****ing Åmål/Show me Love (1998) Swedish
dang,the international trailer for this movie is really bad
Agnete is the outsider at school with no real friends,secretly in love with Elin,the popular one.
After hearing about a party at Agnetes house Elin and her sister decides to go.

El crimen del Padre Amaro/The Crime of Father Amaro
(2002) Spanish
A young priest falls in love with a devoted churchgoer,at the same time he finds out that the politics in the church arnt as clean as he thought

As a personal rule I've omitted anything that's been in my Top Ten. I've also tried to avoid conventional recommendations like Star Wars and such.

Romance: WALL-E
Comedy: Little Miss Sunshine
Drama: Strange Days
Horror: In The Mouth of Madness
Thriller: Hard Candy
Sci-Fi: Looker
Musical: Repo! The Genetic Opera
Fantasy: The Dark Crystal
Animation: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Documentary: Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop
TV Series: Black Rock Shooter