6th HOF-Raise The Red Lantern

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I just got done with this. Really good imagery and some pretty good acting, but I felt a sort of cultural barrier between me and the film. For this reason, I didn't find the story truly engaging. It felt as if times nothing was happening and as if things were happening too slowly as well. Not really my cup of tea though I can see why others would think otherwise. Not really much else for me to add here.

Master of My Domain
Raise the Red Lantern

The first thing that comes to your sense directly when you start the film and lasts the most when you finish it would definitely be the exotic colors and the long take shots. The two combined with the good lead performances make a beautiful, complex labyrinth of emotion.

As for the story I liked the fresh premise and the tension between the woman waiting for their master is brilliant- but it does get a bit slow and once the look of the film becomes something you get used to the magic of the entire experience kind of weakens at least for me. Overall, this is a good nomination and film, however it never elevates to the level of a new personal favorite anywhere.

+

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Just finished this!

This movie made sweet love to my eyes!!! I love its colours and the way it is shot!
The acting is great, especially from the main actress, she has such a inner strenght!
The soundtrack is beautiful and used in a very interesting way always relating to all that was happening, to increase suspense or just giving subliminal messages... I think it was what I liked the most in this movie, after the colours.
The story is really engaging and all that traditions are something I usually love! To me it looked like a critique to Communist China but if the director himself denied it, then I must be wrong! The role women played in Chinese society was something I could see reflected in this too.
A fantastic movie that might have entered my top 100! Thanks christine!!!