Animal Cruelty In Films

Tools    

movies can be okay...
What do you think 'this is a harsh comparison meant'? OK so a better comparison is using real footage of people jumping out of the twin towers for a movie which I gave. The sentiment is the same, and I did express for the hard of hearing that it was my opinion. I havent judged anyone as being dumb for not being affected by animal cruelty on screen. To each their own. If he wants a discussion about this topic he sure is going the wrong way about it. Talk about a debbie downer lately. The age of etiquette is dead.
Just to make it clear, I didn't call you dumb, but rather the comparison was.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You still don't get it. Do you read all posts in your threads or just skim over them. Maybe my keyboard switched itself to mandarin. Get back to me when you find some manners.

@Okay you continue to twist words and sentences to your liking and even read past what I say either to avoid a discussion on the subject or because you want to stand in better light...

I misunderstood you about the "necessary" thing and now you keep bringing that up even where it don't belong... you last reply to the last quote is hardly even an answer to said quote?

And
even if you see no purpose to it I can.
What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

You want to feel like you're above me or what? Just like when you said that I could only see movies for being entertainment?

For a subject to have purpose in a film and for that subject's purpose to be a valid exuse for something like animal cruelty is two completely different things. Of course I can see the director's purpose for animal cruelty and I understand the inclusion in most cases of which I've seen, I just don't condone it and I don't think there exists a valid reason to torture an actual animal for the purpose of your film.

Anyways, we'll clearly get no further with this. I'm done here.

movies can be okay...
You still don't get it. Do you read all posts in your threads or just skim over them. Maybe my keyboard switched itself to mandarin. Get back to me when you find some manners.
Almost missed this: "OK so a better comparison is using real footage of people jumping out of the twin towers for a movie which I gave."

That has been done before, and it doesn't bother me either.

I have no issue with it not bothering you and have not said otherwise but it does bother me when that happens, makes me vomit from stress and wrecks my week. I don't need to see it to know what's happening.

movies can be okay...
@Okay you continue to twist words and sentences to your liking and even read past what I say either to avoid a discussion on the subject or because you want to stand in better light...
Give examples, because I'm genuinely oblivious to this. Also there is no discussion to be had because I agree with what you're saying, from what I've seen, the only difference between our opinions is that you're completely intolerant to animal cruelty in films, and I'm not.

I misunderstood you about the "necessary" thing and now you keep bringing that up even where it don't belong
You said "that means you've got examples of animal cruelty that can feel like a "necessity" to the movie?" which I have already answered by giving you the films.
And then you said "Like I said before, actually killing animals purely for our entertainment, can be a necessary thing?" Which I felt as though I already answered, so I repeated my original thoughts. I was confused too when you later down on your post acknowledged it, because I still feel as though that is an answer to the question you've asked in the same post.

... you last reply to the last quote is hardly even an answer to said quote?
You: "I don't think that's a valid excuse for cruelty to animals."
Me: "Nor do I."
Seems like an answer to me. Everything after that wasn't a direct response to that quote, but rather just an addition.

What the hell is that even supposed to mean?
It means that everyone interprets certain happenings in films differently, so the interpretation of the purpose of a scene can differ from one person to another, and people usually disagree with the interpretations of others (which is normal), this is more so me talking about the usage of animal cruelty in some of the films I've mentioned, mainly El Topo and The Holy Mountain, which are absurdest films that allow countless interpretations.

You want to feel like you're above me or what?
Not at all...and I fail to see how I even insinuated such thing.

Just like when you said that I could only see movies for being entertainment?
Ohhhhh, so you took that as me belittling you ? Well I wasn't, it was more so me thinking that you implied the word entertainment just as I would, and I clearly admitted my mistake by saying you are right and I am wrong.

For a subject to have purpose in a film and for that subject's purpose to be a valid exuse for something like animal cruelty is two completely different things.
Agreed.
I just don't condone it and I don't think there exists a valid reason to torture an actual animal for the purpose of your film.
Nor do I.

Anyways, we'll clearly get no further with this. I'm done here.
If you think so, then that's fine with me.

movies can be okay...
I have no issue with it not bothering you and have not said otherwise but it does bother me when that happens, makes me vomit from stress and wrecks my week. I don't need to see it to know what's happening.
I never thought that you would, nor do I have any issues with your opinion.

Why did the OP even start this thread? Unbelievably depressing.

I'll be honest this thread is a drag. But if we're being honest, many, many more films show humans being needlessly slaughtered in much more graphic ways. I'm usually of the frame of mind that, if you can leave the animals out of, that's good. It's bad enough we've been conditioned to enjoy violence. Animals, even though not having the same volume of intelligence as a human, for the most part (which is refreshing), should be spared as often as possible. Unless you're having a hamburger..or a cheesburger. Gotta have my meat!

Why did the OP even start this thread? Unbelievably depressing.
It's an issue that merits discussion.

It's also a clearly labelled thread, so those who don't want to read about such things can easily avoid it.

I'll be honest this thread is a drag. But if we're being honest, many, many more films show humans being needlessly slaughtered in much more graphic ways. I'm usually of the frame of mind that, if you can leave the animals out of, that's good. It's bad enough we've been conditioned to enjoy violence. Animals, even though not having the same volume of intelligence as a human, for the most part (which is refreshing), should be spared as often as possible. Unless you're having a hamburger..or a cheesburger. Gotta have my meat!
I think it's just easier to distance myself from adult actors getting killed than animals, and let's face it, sometimes animals die on set. Actors and stunt people do as well but I don't want to see the kill shot.

I can't even handle seeing a young child actor being yelled at or smacked.

This is a thread about Animal cruelty not arugments!!!!

Who's arguing. Not very helpful and in colour with!!!!!!!!?!!?! comes across as rather aggro.

It's an issue that merits discussion.

It's also a clearly labelled thread, so those who don't want to read about such things can easily avoid it.
That doesn't answer my question.

This is a thread about Animal cruelty not arugments!!!!
Definitely not about arugments, whatever they are.

I just want you to get along!!!!
With a scary avatar like that? I think I'll go hug my dogs instead.

How does everyone feel about animal cruelty displayed on films ?

Is it justifiable for the sake of artistic purposes, or is it totally inexcusable regardless ?

Would you like a film less if it contains such brutality, despite how great it is otherwise ?
I'm a big fan of animal cruelty in general.

Animals, even though not having the same volume of intelligence as a human, for the most part (which is refreshing), should be spared as often as possivle
Right. Humans are so intelligent. That must be why so many animals are mistreated.