A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The 1976 version. The one that sets itself up with a documentary tone and then inexplicably decides that what this film about murder and women being terrorized and mutilated needed was about 28% comedy hijinks with a Barney Fife-esque character.
And so this is why you find it offensive? I agree that it is tonally baffling. That stated, horror and comedy (even slapstick comedy) sometimes merge well (e.g., Evil Dead 2). Also, I think I can see what they were thinking (i.e., lighten up the mood, clear the palate), but it really felt like a different movie was edited in with this one.

Personally, I found Gen V (spin off of The Boys) to be a bit baffling in that one of our heroines explodes the penis of a baddie and it's played off for comedy. The guy who gets his PP 'sploded appears to treat the event as if it never happened as the episodes go by. A lot of this sort of thing comes down to taste, which to a certain extent, is dictated by the time period. The Town that Dreaded Sundown is weird, because I think you can see the slasher films that would follow growing out the husk of older forms (e.g., the hijinks)--it's a bit like mixing toothpaste and orange juice, but it is a thing of its time.

Victim of The Night
Happy to report that Mr @Wooley and I have finally met in person, and that he is an awesome dude, but you all knew that already.

And it happened in the most epic way possible---

This is probably only my 3rd time watching this one, and one thing that struck me this time is how little set-up there is. There is absolutely no foreplay here. Weird guy hands out tickets, we meet our heroine and friend, and before the 7-minute mark we're at the theater. Mayhem follows. (I tried to convey this to Wooley last night but I'm not sure he heard me over the high-volume metal riffage. ) There is no fat to be trimmed here. It's like the Fury Road of demon movies.

One line I'd never noticed until now is when there's complete chaos and panic in the theater and George yells "THERE HAS TO BE AN EXPLANATION!!"

Sorry, George. There is none, and there won't be. Good luck, chief!
Yup, I will stick around long enough to confirm that Wooley and our fearless Captain have met and it was a great pleasure for me perusing Goblin merch with our man on the high seas of Terror.
And yes, your point was clear and well-taken and I was damn glad of it because the audience I brough would not have hung around for a lot of dubbed filler. I think the movie does hinge a bit on how much you buy into the movie within a movie setup and display the patience to let it play out. Then one is rewarded with lots of gratuitous hilarity like pimp-zombies, coke-addled gang-members, motorcycles, samurai swords, and helicopters.
A fun time, no doubt. Look forward to future co-screenings.

Post-script - Is Demons the progenitor of the mid-credits scene? It's a good one, too.

Post-script - Is Demons the progenitor of the mid-credits scene? It's a good one, too.
Good point. I also like that the infamous Bob from HBTC gets a bit of redemption by being such a badass in that final scene. #TeamBob

The 1976 version. The one that sets itself up with a documentary tone and then inexplicably decides that what this film about murder and women being terrorized and mutilated needed was about 28% comedy hijinks with a Barney Fife-esque character.
I am contractually obligated to point out that Spark Plug was played by none other than the director Charles Pierce.
Yes, he's the worst and yes I forgive him because of Boggy Creek.

Has Captain Terror seen Wilczyca?
I'm not the scary officer, but I've seen the film. It seemed to have all the ingredients of a great horror movie, and I remember being slightly disappointed for not liking it more than I did. It's not perfectly splendid, but at least perfectly watchable.

I own it! Haven't watched it yet, though. Your review sounds promising.

I too, shall eventually work my way through the All the Haunts be Ours collection.
Maybe (probably) not this year,
maybe (probably) not next year,
but some day.

Witchhammer was really good, in that "Czech New Wave's take on how oppressive Soviet style Communism was," from the brief window when they could say such things.

I too, shall eventually work my way through the All the Haunts be Ours collection.
Maybe (probably) not this year,
maybe (probably) not next year,
but some day.
I pre-ordered the SOB because I was so excited about it, and I think I've only watched 2 films so far. (and a short or two) Crazy.
In my defense, I'm still trying to get through the 20-film Hammer set I bought before that. Almost done with that one.

Sorry, I took so long. Decided to spoiler everything in case you don't want your experience ruined:

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I felt like an air of tragedy loomed over this thing from the beginning.
Unlike the other Universal monster horrors where you can point to and blame people for going too far in the name of science (Frankenstein/The Invisible Man) or the creatures itself (The Mummy/Dracula, Larry Talbot seemed more like one of us. Other than the exception of being a creeper to Gwen who deserved better...even her fiance seems to be OK with her and was not at all jealous of Larry's crude attempts at wooing his woman. It's more than understandable in his shoes why he would chase off the wolfman from Jenny when she's attacked and beat the thing to death after being bitten.

One thing that I noted about this town...how close minded and open to gossip it was! Much like some small towns that don't mind their own business, they blame Gwen for cheating on Frank (even though he knows nothing happened) and Larry for both being a potential homewrecker and for a liar about what happened to Jenny and Bela. Ousted from modern society, Larry heads to gypsy woman Maleva for advice and she proves to be kindhearted to his plight. She even manages to keep a kind heart to the priest who dismisses their celebration as being inappropriate for a dead man. What does he know about how they do things? The gypsies end up being treated more kindly by the filmmakers than by the town.

At the end, it was a mix of false bravado and adherence to superstition that did in Mr. Talbot (hey Gwen, this necklace is supposed to keep me from turning, but I want you to have it. Hey dad, keep my walking stick with you just in case.) Again, not much that's outside the norm. And that's what makes The Wolf Man perhaps the most tragic Universal Horror film.

I also managed to sneak 2/3 of an episode of Project Runway in there.

I'm sorry I'm such a Halloween disappointment.
Auf Wiederhausen (I think?)

Anyway, made it through 10 horrors this year. A bit disappointing, although outside of The Worthy and TCM2, I didn't dislike any of them.

Gonna try to fit in 5 Nights at Freddy's and the Winnie the Pooh movie for later. The latter might make my Cinema Hall of Shame.

I am contractually obligated to point out that Spark Plug was played by none other than the director Charles Pierce.
Yes, he's the worst
Right.

and yes I forgive him because of Boggy Creek.

Witchhammer was really good, in that "Czech New Wave's take on how oppressive Soviet style Communism was," from the brief window when they could say such things.
I started it, but was bummed that it was in that political allegory vein of horror that basically telegraphs its depressing ending from the first frame. I'm not saying it's not great, just not what I was looking for this month.

Auf Wiederhausen (I think?).
I'm out of the Heidi Klum/Tim Gunn years and into Christian Soriano wandering around Mood going "Put that down! You're not ready to sew silks!"

And speaking of Klum, her worm costume from last year is one of the most amazing and disgusting things I've ever seen.

I forgot the opening line.

FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S - (2023)

I was hoping I'd have a bit of fun watching Five Nights at Freddy's - but all I got was a charmingly off-beat and enjoyable performance from Matthew Lillard (he doesn't have much screen-time) and some good-looking animatronic murderous (cyborgs? robots?) The movie is gore-free, relies to a great degree on jump-scares, and doesn't do anything interesting with it's story. Mike (Josh Hutcherson) lives with the trauma watching his little brother getting snatched has left him with, and has to take any work he can get so he keeps custody of little sister Abby (Piper Rubio). Yeah, I haven't played the game, but I've seen Willy's Wonderland. I'd say 'watch this when you can see it for free', but what I'd really mean to say is "don't watch this." It's kind of dull, and is one of the laziest mainstream films of the year. It's making heaps of money of course.

Discomfort : 2/10
Art : 1/10
Weird : 3/10
Fun : 4/10
Interesting : 2/10
Enjoyable : 2/10
Exciting : 4/10

Overall : 3/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The first act of Phantom of the Paradise is really stressing me out! He just wants some credit! Leave his teeth alone!

Yeah, I haven't played the game, but I've seen Willy's Wonderland.
I have seen Willy's Wonderland so many times. So many.

Three.

Okay, but that's a lot for Willy's Wonderland.

1973!

Scream Blacula Scream (MKS endorsed)

or

Nothing But the Night (Great cast!)

or

Bell from Hell (the title rhymes!)

?
SBS

I pre-ordered the SOB because I was so excited about it, and I think I've only watched 2 films so far. (and a short or two) Crazy.
In my defense, I'm still trying to get through the 20-film Hammer set I bought before that. Almost done with that one.

No judgement here, I've amassed what feels like quite a large collection of movies I haven't gotten to. And have had movies sit on the shelf for up to a decade before getting to them.
I think my goal for Haunts to make a point of watching at least one movie every year.

I started it, but was bummed that it was in that political allegory vein of horror that basically telegraphs its depressing ending from the first frame. I'm not saying it's not great, just not what I was looking for this month.
Yeah, it's not supernatural. It's more in the category of The Devils (though less gonzo moments). In the subject of, "how did we get here though," it certainly has some parallels to certain political trends of the last 7 years, which hit home a lot harder than I'd care to admit.