The 2023 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

The Annual MoFo Film Awards are back again!
The deadline for submitting your nominations is March 20th.

What is this?
Formerly hosted by TheUsualSuspect, the MoFo Film Awards are pretty much our version of the Oscars. The categories differ slightly, and even include places to vent about your least favourite film or biggest disappointment of the year. Once I've collected your nominations, I'll reveal the finalists in another thread, where we'll have one month to vote for the winners.

How does it work?
For each category, you're able to select up to 5 films, people, or scenes to nominate (whichever is relevant). These choices are ranked, so your #1 choice will receive 5 points, #2 will receive 4 points, and so on. You do not need to make 5 selections if you don't want to, and your #1 choice will still be worth the full 5 points if you submit a partial ballot. Make sure to PM your nominations to me before the deadline.

Do I have to nominate something for every category?
No, you don't. If you didn't see any documentaries this year, you don't need to randomly choose one, unless you want to. I don't recommend nominating films you haven't seen, but you do you!

Should I keep what I'm nominating a secret?
I do not recommend posting your final ballot in the thread, however unlike the Countdowns and Hall of Fames, talking about how you plan to vote will not cause your nominations to be disqualified. Feel free to post WIP shortlists, or to campaign for specific films or performances.

Some films have conflicting release date information online. How do I know if a film is eligible for these awards?
Any "festival films" that were only shown in places such as the Toronto or Berlin International Film Festivals during 2022, but not given a wide theatrical release until 2023 are automatically eligible, since the majority of us are unable to see them during their initial festival window. Check the bottom of this post for a list of notable films with hybrid release dates, and feel free to suggest additions. If a film has conflicting information online, but is not a festival film, its eligibility will be open for discussion.

For the "Animated Film" category, do rotoscoped films count as "animation"?
Yes! Feel free to nominate any rotoscoped films in that category.

What is this “Mixed Bag” Award?
That is up to you to decide! Is there a film that had some great moments, but overall fell short of being great? Perhaps there was something problematic in (or around) a film that makes you feel kinda “eeehh” about the whole thing. Did you think a film was so perfectly mediocre that it should be called out? This is the category to express any of that!

Can I nominate the same actor for multiple performances?

Yes, you can.

Can I nominate the same role for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor?
Yes! I'm pretty sure I've even done this myself when I couldn't decide how exactly to classify the performance. If you'd like to see how other people feel about it first, don't hesitate to ask in the thread.

How do I let you know which scene I want to nominate for the relevant categories?
Try your best to describe it without giving too many spoilers, if possible. If clarification is needed, I will ask. If you know I've seen a film (feel free to creep on my letterboxd to do so), spoilers are fine.

Is it possible to alter my ballot after I sent it?
While you may not make any changes to the selections you have already sent, you may add extra nominations to any category, as long as you didn't already have the maximum of 5 submitted. Any such additions must also be received before the deadline.

What happens if I don't nominate anything? Can I still vote for a winner later?
Yes! You do not need to participate in this round of the Film Awards in order to vote for your favourites later on. However, you will have to forfeit the right to complain about the available choices if you didn't nominate anything yourself.

My question wasn't covered here, what do I do?
You can ask in the thread, or PM me if you're not comfortable posting your question publicly.

~.~

Notable 2022/2023 Films:
The Artifice Girl (Dir. Franklin Ritch)
The Blue Caftan (Dir. Maryam Touzani)
Chevalier (Dir. Stephen Williams)
Enys Men (Dir. Mark Jenkin)
Love According to Dalva (Dir. Emmanuelle Nicot)
M3GAN (Dir. Gerard Johnstone)
Return to Seoul (Dir. Davy Chou)
Sisu (Dir. Jalmari Helander)
Suzume (Dir. Makoto Shinkai)
Talk to Me (Dir. Danny Philippou, Michael Philippou)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	topbanner.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	96858  

The Categories are:

Best Film of The Year
Worst Film of the Year
Best Director of the Year
Best Actor of the Year*
Best Actress of the Year*
Best Supporting Actor of the Year*
Best Supporting Actress of the Year*
Best Screenplay of the Year
Best Animated Film of the Year
Best Documentary Film of the Year
Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Biggest Surprise of the Year
Biggest Disappointment of the Year
Most Overrated Film of the Year
Most Underrated Film of the Year
Most Memorable Scene of the Year**
Funniest Scene of the Year**
“Mixed-Bag” Award of the Year
Best Ensemble Cast of the Year
Best Cinematography of the Year
Breakout Performance of the Year
Best Score
Best Sound Design
Best Visual Effects

*-Please state the name of the actor, as well as the film's title
**-Please avoid massive spoilers if possible.

Here's an optional form you can copy  

Received Lists:
Allaby
ApexPredator
CosmicRunaway
Harry Lime
Holden Pike
John-Connor
LAMb EELYAK
mrblond
PHOENIX74
sawduck
ScarletLion
seanc
Siddon
stillmellow
TheUsualSuspect
Thursday Next
Torgo
Tugg

~.~

The rest of this post is just some information for anyone curious. I'm not going to list all the previous winners for every category, but since Suspect always kept track of the two major ones, I'll continue that tradition. For anyone who is new to the forum and would like to see how the previous nominations and awards threads were handled, there's links to a few of those as well.

Previous Best Film and Best Director Winners:
2013 Best Film of the Year: Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman
2015 Best Film of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016 Best Film of the Year: [Tie] La La Land & Manchester By The Sea
2017 Best Film of the Year: Blade Runner: 2049
2018 Best Film of the Year: Roma
2019 Best Film of the Year: Parasite
2022 Best Film of the Year: The Banshees of Inisherin

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
2015 Best Director of the Year: George Miller - Mad Max
2016 Best Director of the Year: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
2017 Best Director of the Year: Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
2018 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Roma
2019 Best Director of the Year: Bong Joon Ho - Parasite
2022 Best Director of the Year: [Tie] Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert - Everything Everywhere All At Once & Martin McDonagh - The Banshees of Inisherin

Previous Awards Threads:
2022 Film Awards - Nominations
2022 Film Awards
2019 Film Awards - Nominations
2019 Film Awards
2018 Film Awards - Nominations
2018 Film Awards
2017 Film Awards - Nominations
2017 Film Awards
2016 Film Awards - Nominations
2016 Film Awards

Thank you for hosting Cosmic. I'll be submitting a list. Alot of mine were made in 2022 but not released where I live until 2023, so it wasn't physically possible for me to see them until 2023. I hope they're eligible.

Thank you for hosting Cosmic. I'll be submitting a list. Alot of mine were made in 2022 but not released where I live until 2023, so it wasn't physically possible for me to see them until 2023. I hope they're eligible.
Thank you! Glad to hear you'll be participating!

Like last year, any of the 2022 festival films that didn't see a wide release until 2023 are eligible. I wouldn't split hairs over ones that got a theatrical release in late December 2022 but didn't come to streaming until 2023 either, as long as they weren't on the ballot for last year's MoFo Film Awards.

Looking forward to it! Here are some 2023 movies worth watching:

Asteroid City
Barbie
BlackBerry
Bottoms
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Evil Dead Rise
Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Nimona
Past Lives
Polite Society
Rye Lane
The Iron Claw
The Venture Bros.: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart
Theater Camp
They Cloned Tyrone

Letterboxd lists these as from 2022, but I think they should count as 2023 movies since they were released theatrically that year:

Chevalier
Sisu

@Torgo I was just about to take a closer look at the films you mentioned liking, but I see you removed them from your post. It's totally okay to post your favourites of the year, in case you were worried about that!

On a similar note: Please post recommendations, guys! I could personally do with some haha. Including Sisu I've only seen like 18 films from 2023, and one of them was a short film lol. I barely watched any movies in the last like... half of the year or more.

@Torgo I was just about to take a closer look at the films you mentioned liking, but I see you removed them from your post. It's totally okay to post your favourites of the year, in case you were worried about that!
I figured you were only asking for 2022/2023 movies, so I removed them. I'll add them again.

Added a new Q&A to the main post, since I remembered that last year we had a question regarding whether or not rotoscoped films counted for the animation category. The answer is yes!

Also, very similar to what I said last year, here are some examples of what is and isn't okay to post regarding films you liked this year:

A totally fine post:
The Creator and Knock at the Cabin are my favourite films of the year. They're at the top of my list so far.
This is also completely acceptable:
You guys can't stop me from voting for Renfield in all the relevant categories!
However please don't post:
This is my final ballot:

Best Film of The Year
1. The Creator
2. Knock at the Cabin

I figured you were only asking for 2022/2023 movies, so I removed them. I'll add them again.
2022/2023 films are the only ones I'm going to add to the main post, since people looking up lists of 2023 films on IMDB or Letterboxd or wherever might not see the ones that "technically" came out in 2022, but feel free to post about any 2023 films you liked in the thread!

My recommendations:
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.
Asteroid City
The Color Purple
The Holdovers
The Killer
Maestro
May December
Oppenheimer
The Slumber Party
You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah

Recommended documentaries:
American Symphony
Stamped from the Beginning
Still: A Michael J. Fox Movie

Are tv movies or miniseries eligible or just feature films? What about something like Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields? It was made for Hulu and aired on Hulu or Dinsey+but is labelled on imdb as a "tv miniseries" even though it is really a documentary divided into two parts that equal feature length.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24141700/?ref_=ttrel_ov

Are tv movies or miniseries eligible or just feature films? What about something like Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields? It was made for Hulu and aired on Hulu or Dinsey+but is labelled on imdb as a "tv miniseries" even though it is really a documentary divided into two parts that equal feature length.
TV movies are definitely eligible (be it cable tv or streaming), though mini-series are not. However, some mini-series have been allowed in the past if they also had a theatrical release.

For the 2017 Film Awards, Camo even argued that Twin Peaks: The Return should be eligible since Lynch himself called it a film in 18 parts (and it did have a limited theatrical release, I think?). Suspect eventually told him it could be nominated, but mainly because he didn't think anyone would vote for it anyway so... I'm not sure if that should be counted as precedent or not lol.

The Documentary category is one that doesn't get much love here, and it did play at Sundance, so I'm leaning slightly towards allowing it, but would like to hear some other opinions on it first.

Last Voyage of the Demeter
Just finished watching that, and its definitely a contender for "Mixed Bag" on my list as well. I was perfectly content to watch it, but had so many "Why did/didn't they...?" moments, and there was practically no tension throughout the entire thing. Wasn't terrible, but it really felt like a missed opportunity to me.

Just finished watching that, and its definitely a contender for "Mixed Bag" on my list as well. I was perfectly content to watch it, but had so many "Why did/didn't they...?" moments, and there was practically no tension throughout the entire thing. Wasn't terrible, but it really felt like a missed opportunity to me.

Wokism....it could have been a fantastic film had they not tried to make a period horror film diverse. But even if you are going to make it diverse don't have the black guy as the doctor...give the character a role as a worker a normal guy. But Hollywood always has to go overboard.

The first black doctor in Europe was in 1837. Dracula was written in 1897.

How dare Hollywood expose this dread secret! Black people are just supposed to be workers!

I agree that The Last Voyage of the Demeter could have used more tension, but I don't think the motivation to cast Corey Hawkins as the doctor was just to push a woke agenda. It does add tension by giving the less helpful members of the ship's crew another reason to not believe in him.