Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hi for David Bowie's fans may I suggest The Prestige.

Matchstick Men (2002) -

Enjoyed this one a lot, I wouldn't really call Cage's performance good but I still loved every second of it. Didn't fully see the twist coming but did kind of suspect it.

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)

I vividly remember seeing this cover every time I would go to the locally owned video rental. How could I forget a cover that references both the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises? This was before New Line Cinema pissed away the potential with Freddy vs. Jason mind you. This is an image that has stuck with me since childhood, and I'd forgotten all about it until now.

Angela "The Angel of Death" Baker might not measure up to the hulking existential threat of Jason Vorhees or the inescapable madness of Freddy Krueger, but she does offer something that neither can: humanity. She's a person. She has a philosophy. She's full of contradictions and convictions and interacts with her victims openly instead of stalking from the shadows or waiting for them to nod off. She's a sadistic D.A.R.E. officer who just wants to go camping and have a good PG rated time.

In this sequel, her childhood revenge fulfillment has steepened into a a desire for a straight up authoritarian police state. Capital punishment now extends beyond bullying to drinking, sex, nudity, voyeurism, and snitching. "I didn't do anything wrong" one victim pleads. "You're going to tell" Angela offers as she strikes down another camper. It's a fascinating evolution of character.

That said, don't confuse any of that stuff with good filmmaking. This movie might be considerably worse made than the first, bordering on insufferable at times. The only memorable kill, immortalized on the back of VHS box, is the outhouse plunge. There's no catchy score. The acting is slightly less bad, turning it from amusingly awful to annoying. The ending(s) are an absolute mess desperate to live up to the infamous finale of the first. It has its flaws, but its strengths lie in continuing Angela's story. If you can appreciate that, you might enjoy yourself.

http://boxd.it/9GPPz

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Special Correspondants - I left a longer 'opinion' in the review forum last night. I'd give it 3 out of 5 and recommend it only if you're a Ricky Gervais fan.
Big fan of Gervais, but I couldn't finish. Maybe it was the lack of Karl Pilkington.

Welcome to the human race...
Watched it only because you wrote this and am disappointed.
In all honesty, what were you even expecting? It was a warning, not an invitation.

Last movie I saw...

Ran -

As far as cinematic Shakespeare adaptations go, this is easily the polar opposite of the previous film I watched.

Sisters (2015)

The Bucket List (2007) - Rob Reiner

- I rewatch this movie with my mom tonight and it reminds me how I deeply love this flick. She chose the movie and I was happily suprise because this movie is something special for me... An heartwarming experience that brings joy and sadness at the same time. Both actors are icons of Hollywood and they're both terrific in the movie. Can be cliché to others but I'm glad I rewatch it tonight and that my mom finally watch it too. Definitely among my all-time favorites and yes I cry again.
-

Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (1989)

From what I understand, this sequel was in production as soon as Unhappy Campers wrapped. I can only guess that they had two scripts "worthy" of a sequel to Sleepaway Camp and decided to use them both. Unfortunately, this one is A LOT worse.

By now we know what to expect from the campers. There's the Judy, a sexually charged bully. There's the Paul, Angela's love interest. Then there's the Mel, a perverted camp owner. The rest are thinly written caricatures that hate Angela no matter what she does. Knowing this formula, the writers feel confident enough to skip a bunch of steps with this one. They might have time to critique the class system, but they're clueless as to why the previous movies worked. Oh well, everybody knows a horror movie doesn't need a good script. As Riff, the boombox toting hip black kid, points out: "I like movies with ti.ts and blood!"

There is something to be said for the kills in this one. After the first two, I was ready to turn this thing off. No slasher villain should ever need to chase their victim in a circle with a ****** stick and hit them 50 times. Thankfully, they save the overly brutal entries for the final half hour which make them quite rewarding if you make it that far. Angela Baker has graduated from archery and beehives to explosive mutilation and lawnmowers. The only downer is that the set up behind this kills is often more elaborate than the execution (ba dum tss). Tom Savini had better stuff to do apparently.

Now for the worst part of the movie: pacing. Holy ****, I was bored out of my mind for most of this movie. I'm convinced they went back and made some shots 10 seconds longer just to pad out the run time. As far as poorly made movies go, that's the most deadly sin. I can laugh at bad performances, I can cringe at bad dialogue, I can stew in the enigma of the most baffling decisions, but bad pacing sours the entire experience. I almost wish I would have just looked up the kill shots on YouTube. I think my journey with this franchise stops here.

Oh, I'm a happy camper. I love the summer sun. I love the trees and forest. I'm always having fun. Oh, I'm a happy camper. I love the clear blue sky, and with the grace of God, I'll camp until I die.

http://boxd.it/9HhOz

The House of the Devil -

Another great horror film. Glad Swan mentioned the pacing because that is something i usually don't take notice of in a film, and i think that would have been something i couldn't quite put my finger on that i liked about this.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
When Sams friend was killed i expected it to pick up pace and start getting crazy, glad it didn't though because it made everything more tense since you didn't know when something was going to happen. The scene where Sams friend got shot genuinely shocked me. I obviously knew something was going to happen, but it was just so quick and brutal that i was taken aback. There's also just something amazing about Sam dancing about the house having a great time when her friend is lying dead and she has no clue, love that scene.

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
The last 20 minutes were amazing. Right up to the end i had it all wrong, somehow i didn't even consider they were trying to impregnate her with a demon. The fact that the husband and wife were pretty old and the amount of times they told her how young and pretty she was, i thought they were going to try to transfer their elderly mother/step mother to her body or something like that. Even though this didn't bother me it is just one of those horror film things that i except and even enjoy in certain instances, Sam really should have been killed three seperate times. Firstly you would make 100% sure there was no chance she could get loose from the alter, secondly even though they were trying not to kill her the bearded guy slowly took aim a second time, obviously he was planning on killing her after he shot her so it was a tad frustrating how slow he was. Then surely the wife would have took the gun from his body and why would she turn her back to Sam when she was clearly armed since she slit his throat, then of course the blew her brains out part. Still it was pretty great watching her somehow survive against all odds haha.

Anyway great film, thanks for the rec Swan