At what age would you let your kid watch movies like T2 or RoboCop?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!

It's hard for someone like me to imagine how RoboCop can be scary.
So it's a good thing the child's mum said no. If you cant imagine that movie being nightmare inducing for sensitive people not used to such depravity on screen you should probably not be taking any kids to the movies. I rewatched that recently and eventhough I watch a lot of screen violence and extreme gore, that scene was still horrifying.

I don't think it's a "scary" thing with a movie like RoboCop or T2.

It's the violence and bloodshed that makes parents think twice about showing it to their kids.

“I was cured, all right!”
I remember when me and my cousin watched RoboCop at young age. On the waterman hit by a car scene, we were really entertained and paused the video tape even just to examine how his body was dismembered just like that while laughing out loud too.

It's hard for someone like me to imagine how RoboCop can be scary.
HAHA
I used to do this with some friends with all the Final Destination films. We watched all death scene in slow motion too. Good old times.

HAHA
I used to do this with some friends with all the Final Destination films. We watched all death scene in slow motion too. Good old times.

Yup, we did that too when we watched the Final Destination films.

I watched T2 when my elder brother bought it on VHS when it came out, so it must've been in 1992 and I was 9 going on 10. I think the only bit that disturbed me was the fire in the child playground scene, the rest was scary but thrilling and fun.

And this summer I took a friend of mine's kid who's almost 12 to the cinema to watch Tom Cruise's The Mummy and he watched the trailer two hours before going to the cinema and found it too violent so we had to change the film.

It really depends on the kid's sensitivity, they can take violence very differently.

I don't have kids but my gut says if I did ... forty-six and a quarter would probably be about right

I do not comprehend how is T2 better than RoboCop to watch for kids at age 10-12. We are talking about T2 Trainspotting, right?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I intended to take my friend's kid to see T2 in the theatre, he is 8, but his mother said no thanks. She said the boy would be too scared of the violence.

If I remember correctly, I saw T2 & RoboCop when I was around 12.

The other day I showed How to Train Your Dragon 1 to another kid when her family visited me, the girl is 5, and she cried because she got scared of the dragon.
I remember laughing at my brother when my Aunt took us to see Jurassic Park. He was crying when he went to bed, too scared having nightmares LOL. He must have been 6 maybe, I was 9.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
I'll have T2 playing during my childs birth, as a matter of fact, it'll be Sarah's nightmare sequence.

If my wife has a problem with that, then clearly I'll have married the wrong woman.

I watched T2 when my elder brother bought it on VHS when it came out, so it must've been in 1992 and I was 9 going on 10. I think the only bit that disturbed me was the fire in the child playground scene, the rest was scary but thrilling and fun.

And this summer I took a friend of mine's kid who's almost 12 to the cinema to watch Tom Cruise's The Mummy and he watched the trailer two hours before going to the cinema and found it too violent so we had to change the film.

It really depends on the kid's sensitivity, they can take violence very differently.
I think we all agree that each kid's tolerance to certain things are different.

The challenge is how do we know when it is the best time without testing a little bit?

I think we all agree that each kid's tolerance to certain things are different.

The challenge is how do we know when it is the best time without testing a little bit?
It's up to the parents. Pretty easy.

Your answer is nothing but genius. Duh.

Gee that's nice. Ask yourself why you think you have the right to take someone else's child to a movie that might freak them out and then get your wig on when the mother says no. Duh I guess. Is that even a word?

Gee that's nice. Ask yourself why you think you have the right to take someone else's child to a movie that might freak them out and then get your wig on when the mother says no. Duh I guess. Is that even a word?
LOL maybe you can be more constructive to offer your 2 cents directly to my question.

or get the f outta my thread.

or get the f outta my thread.
Wow. Have you ever heard of Dale Carnegie?

I remember laughing at my brother when my Aunt took us to see Jurassic Park. He was crying when he went to bed, too scared having nightmares LOL. He must have been 6 maybe, I was 9.

It is a generational thing I guess. Looking at the animation we grew up watching, like Dragon Ball Z or Saint Seiya, they are all pretty violent in today's standard.

That might be the reason why RoboCop and T2 were never 'scary' to me.

However, the original Terminator, especially the eye scene, is different and indeed quite disturbing when I saw it the first time.

In my childhood era (and at the risk of dating myself ), the movie of concern was "Deliverance." All the "cool kids" in high school were talking about it and randomly yelling out "SQUEAL....." etc. etc. in the halls

Obviously, their parents let them see it. My dad refused to let me see it. Having seen it later as an adult, I think I can safely say I would have been just fine. There were worse things to view on the local news, and worse things I've seen in film, since then.

And that's probably how I'd approach it in re: my "virtual" children. Each kid matures at different ages/levels. If I felt they were mature enough to understand the central theme of the films, then the sex and violence become simply what colors the central picture more vividly, not the base of the picture itself... (unless its the "Adult" category... ) As for T2, Robocop, I probably would wait at least until high school age, and then assess the maturity level. Not that anyone is ever immune to such things. There are movies even today, where the violence makes me wince a little. I know they're trying to tell me, "hey... there are folks out there that *are* that violent... " But they don't need to show me directly.... I'll take their word for it.

I think it depends on the kid. Honestly, I don't think I'd object to my kid wanting to watch anything as long a) he/she acts mature enough, b) thinks he/she can handle it, c) wont be running around telling his friends about it.

I know at the age of 12 I desperately wanted to see Eyes Wide Shut and Mulholland Drive, but wasn't allowed due to sexual content. Even if I may not have understood or grasped the themes of those films, I know at that age I was still really eager and knew I was ready to watch it. However, violent films were never really an issue, and those stuck with me more than any sex scenes.

I'd maybe watch certain things with them just to discuss it or see their reactions. I don't know where I'd draw the line, I'd encourage them to explore cinema, definitely.

Assassination Nation- (3/4)
Mandy- (3.5/4)

I think it varies from kid to kid. Some can handle those types of movies at younger ages, around 6-10 years old (I remember watching T2 when I was about 7 years old and had no problem with it), and some may take as long as adulthood. Many factors come into play here, so there's not really a definitive answer.

So, my best guess? Try at around 8 years old, then 13 if need be, then 16 afterwards. If they're still not okay with it by then, let them decide as an adult at 18+.