Nolan Bat Film given to much praise!

Tools    

Anyone feel that Christopher Nolan batman films are given way too much praise? A lot fan boys just hype up Nolans bat films because they tarnish the memory of batman and robin.

Batman begins I think should have been given a 7.4 on IMDB instead of a 8.3 rating.

My fave bat film is batman forever cause it a childhood favorite.

Not really. But in general I don't understand why people penalize good films because they think some hazily defined group of people like them too much. I mean, I'm sure lots of teenagers thought The Matrix was a new philosophy unto itself that expanded their mind, or something, but it's a great sci-fi film even knowing that some people overrate it. Ditto Inception or any other mind-bendy mainstream hit.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I agree that Nolan's films really were given too much praise. They were films for people who have never read Batman, nor have any interest in ever doing so. Heath Ledger gave a good performance, but Bruce Wayne and Batman himself were played incredibly out of character, the films are joyless and dreary (cause that's more "Realistic") and there are plot holes too large to ignore (in the last one especially).

Batman Returns is easily my favorite. Tim Burton maybe didn't read Batman either, but at least he had fun with the film.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A system of cells interlinked
Anyone feel that Christopher Nolan batman films are given way too much praise? A lot fan boys just hype up Nolans bat films because they tarnish the memory of batman and robin.

Batman begins I think should have been given a 7.4 on IMDB instead of a 8.3 rating.

My fave bat film is batman forever cause it a childhood favorite.
No.

Sorry, but Batman Forever is an absolutely TERRIBLE film, with only Batman and Robin beating it out for the title of worst super hero film ever. Schumacher just didn't get Batman, at all. Japanese Baroque stylings in Gotham City? Ridiculous. Those films are embarrassing to watch.

Each, to his own... and all that, but Shumacher's take on the Dark Knight just exposed his unfamiliarity with the character, the mythos, and the fans.

It doesn't help that consider J Schumacher to be a crap director with a bunch of crap flicks in his catalog.

@ Monkey - Wha? My favorite Batman stuff is all dark and dreary. Dark Knight Returns? Killing Joke? That stuff is seminal for a reason! I know you know your comics, but I am also an avid comic guy and I think Nolan's are head and shoulders the best versions, and they most represent the vibe in stuff like Dark Knight Returns.

However, it is MUCH easier to defend the far superior (in relation to Schumacher) Burton films in comparison to Nolan's if we want to compare franchises, and Burton broke some new ground there, and the art direction is clearly fantastic. At least Burton tried to keep the Gothic style.

Schumacher crap director? I don't think so since he has made some great films such as phone booth,falling down, phantom of the opera, .

As I said, each to his own. Phone Booth is an AWFUL film. Phantom of the Opera is an embarrassment - another goofy post-modern version of a classic opera just destroyed by an artless director. Falling Down is at least watchable, as is Lost Boys (although Near Dark, made the same year by Kate Bigelow is WAY better), but those are still pretty weak flicks.

Sorry, Schumacher is a bad director, period. Just my opinion of the guy, and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Phantom of the Opera is an embarrassment - another goofy post-modern version of a classic opera just destroyed by an artless director.
Well, it's not THAT classic, as it's only made in 1986 and it's not really an opera (by definition). It's more like a musical.

I don't really have an opinion about Schumacher yet, so I'm not going to interrupt any further in this discussion.

Oh and Nolan's Batman trilogy is a little bit overrated by its fans, but the films were still enjoyable, although they had some major flaws. The Dark Knight was probably the best one.

The Nolan Batmans are easily the best of the franchise, imo. They're some of my favorite films of all time.

I actually enjoy Batman Forever. It's just a lot of fun, mostly because of Jim Carrey. It shouldn't work on paper, but it kind of works on film. I would probably hate it if I had ever read the comics, but it was just really entertaining.

Also, The Client is a pretty good Schumacher film.

Besides Tim Burton's first Batman, Nolans are the only good ones ever made. The third movie did have some big plot holes and I hate Anne Hathaway but besides that it was still pretty good. The first two are great though.

Iron Fitness: http://ironfitnessonline.com/

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
First of all the bat suit:

The first Batman film to introduce nipples to the bat suit... Batman Forever

Finally no more nipples in Batman Begins

Other things that make the new Batman movies better than Batman Forever:
The don't include this moron:

or her:

I'll throw in that I actually think Phone Booth is a decent little thriller. But yeah, Batman Forever is bad. There are elements of campy fun (I think Batman & Robin is the only totally awful entry), and I can sympathize with liking something just because you grew up with it, but that, of course, is different than still finding it good.

As I said, each to his own. Phone Booth is an AWFUL film. Phantom of the Opera is an embarrassment - another goofy post-modern version of a classic opera just destroyed by an artless director. Falling Down is at least watchable, as is Lost Boys (although Near Dark, made the same year by Kate Bigelow is WAY better), but those are still pretty weak flicks.

Sorry, Schumacher is a bad director, period. Just my opinion of the guy, and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Then why did phone booth get a 7.1 rating on IMDB? That only 12 points less than Batman Begins

Dude, you said in the very first post of the thread that you thought the IMDB ratings were too high on Batman Begins. No reason they can't be too high on Phone Booth.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You seem to care about IMDb ratings when you like a film and ignore them when you don't. This is as it should be, so there's little point in bringing up THEIR ratings as justification for anything but general consensus. Even then, they tweak their ratings a lot, and people stuff the "ballot box" so the ratings aren't THAT useful.

I'm not old, you're just 12.

@ Monkey - Wha? My favorite Batman stuff is all dark and dreary. Dark Knight Returns? Killing Joke? That stuff is seminal for a reason! I know you know your comics, but I am also an avid comic guy and I think Nolan's are head and shoulders the best versions, and they most represent the vibe in stuff like Dark Knight Returns.
I disagree. Batman in Dark Knight Returns is driven, there's not the uncertainty to him that Nolan's Batman has, nor the desire to live a normal life. That's my big thing. Also, there's humor and satire to be had in Dark Knight Returns (my favorite Batman book, by the way) that was nowhere in sight in Nolan's films. The best version of Batman outside the comics? The animated series. Had everything just right. A good mix of darkness and humor. I'd love to see a Batman film that uses the cartoon as it's source material.

I think the first Nolan's Batman is overrated but actually this trilogy is the only thing I like from Nolan.Someone mentioned that it doesn't have much to do with the real comic but that is exactly what I love about it - the dark,serious take on the Batman franchise.

I thought Dark knight was very much overrated

I disagree. Batman in Dark Knight Returns is driven, there's not the uncertainty to him that Nolan's Batman has, nor the desire to live a normal life. That's my big thing. Also, there's humor and satire to be had in Dark Knight Returns (my favorite Batman book, by the way) that was nowhere in sight in Nolan's films.
Hehe, I think you mean Batman Returns. The Nolan films are retroactively permeating your memories!

Anyway, I think the stuff with Selina in the second film was generally an expression of him wanting to have a normal life.

The best version of Batman outside the comics? The animated series. Had everything just right. A good mix of darkness and humor. I'd love to see a Batman film that uses the cartoon as it's source material.
See, I love the animated series, too, but I think it's way less--amusingly enough--cartoony, at least in tone, than the Burton films. If anything it feels like a bridge between that and Nolan's version. There's some dry humor, but I think I recall plenty of angst and uncertainty, too. It was a little over the top in terms of villains, but otherwise pretty gritty.

Anyway, I liked the animated series because it didn't feel like it'd been dumbed down. It felt like it was as much for adolescents as kids.

I think the first Nolan's Batman is overrated but actually this trilogy is the only thing I like from Nolan.Someone mentioned that it doesn't have much to do with the real comic but that is exactly what I love about it - the dark,serious take on the Batman franchise.

Not sure what you mean here. The dark and gritty take on Batman appeared in the comics before any of either Burton or Nolan's films, as I explained above. Approaching the material in a more adult and serious way was the big change a couple of the authors I mentioned sort of pushed through in the 80s with the character, and I am pretty sure what ultimately inspired Burton's darker take on Batman in 1989 as well as Nolan's more post-modern flicks more recently.

Hopefully your comments don't stem from that age-old (and inaccurate) stigma that comics are always just silly, and can't be great literature...

Because that isn't true!