A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
For me, it's The Frog Brothers.
I can sort of enjoy the cheesy, dated, awkwardly misfiring version of edgy as the film tries to have its cake and eat it too, aiming for an angsty-teen version of dark and edgy but hedging its bets with the juvenile, frankly painful and off-putting Frog Brothers nonsense.
I tried to re-watch this just a couple years ago and went in with a really positive attitude, knowing what to expect, and trying to get into the spirit of what the film does well... and then Haim and Feldman completely drove me away. I finished the film but barely, grudgingly, grinding my teeth and left with a most unpleasant taste in my mouth. So much so that I just let it be known to my IRL Horrorfriends that I am literally never down for a viewing of Lost Boys ever again.
I realize this sounds like an extreme position to take and maybe for a lot of people it's an incredible over-reaction, but there is almost nothing I hate more in the history of cinema than the mid-to-late 80s infantilization of youth by nostalgic filmmakers approaching middle-age and studios that are thrilled to hedge their bets and maximize the young-audience dollar. It's just my personal poison-in-the-well for any film. Thank god it was only around for a decade or so.

Victim of The Night
And this is my annual reminder that I need to watch Fright Night.
You mean "...watch Fright Night for the 46th time, right?"

Lost Boys or Fright Night?

I've always been more of a Fright Night guy.
Lost Boys by quite a lot for me. I don't really like Fright Night.

I have been interested in this one, and then I looked it up and the plot synopsis on Amazon basically gave away what I assume is the major twist of the film. I'm still interested, but in the moment I was really let down by the spoiler.
I wish I hadn't read that synopsis as well but to be fair all of that is revealed in the first thirty minutes or so.

You mean "...watch Fright Night for the 46th time, right?"
A friend made me watch it with her about 30 years ago but I was not interested at the time and we hardly paid attention to it so I can't count that as a true viewing. Just one of those that keeps slipping through the cracks.

Victim of The Night
A friend made me watch it with her about 30 years ago but I was not interested at the time and we hardly paid attention to it so I can't count that as a true viewing. Just one of those that keeps slipping through the cracks.
Dude. I mean, it could absolutely be your Halloween night movie. At this point I consider it to be one of my favorite Horror movies and if I did a 31 for my last October alive it absolutely gets one of those spots. One of my probably top-3 vampires in cinema history. And Roddy McDowell is great.

Dude. I mean, it could absolutely be your Halloween night movie. At this point I consider it to be one of my favorite Horror movies and if I did a 31 for my last October alive it absolutely gets one of those spots. One of my probably top-3 vampires in cinema history. And Roddy McDowell is great.
Yes this has all been made clear to me in the ensuing years so I have no excuses.
I could swear it was playing locally this month but I can't find it so I guess I missed it. I'm officially watchlisting it so that I won't forget.

The Bye Bye Man would be so good if it wasn't for the Man himself. He's so average and disappointing. The rest of the movie is a lot better than I remembered it though.

The Bye Bye Man would be so good if it wasn't for the Man himself. He's so average and disappointing. The rest of the movie is a lot better than I remembered it though.
That title though . . .

I'm not even joking when I say that I can't make myself watch a movie called The Bye Bye Man.

I'll say more when I write up my full review, but When a Stranger Calls Back was really solid and, for the first time in a long time, I'm going to say I found a movie genuinely scary. Not, like, theoretically scary (what if a demon hand possessed you?!) or existentially scary (what if we're really all alone?), but "are all my doors and windows locked?" scary.

And Creatures of the Abyss was also a winner, but for very different reasons.
--"Tell me doctor, how long have you been f*cking fish?"
--"They were all old enough!"

Victim of The Night
I could be wrong but I can't off the top of my head think of any particular reason you wouldn't really like it.

Victim of The Night
Yes this has all been made clear to me in the ensuing years so I have no excuses.
I could swear it was playing locally this month but I can't find it so I guess I missed it. I'm officially watchlisting it so that I won't forget.
If it was playing locally I would seriously find out who the hell you are and where you live, drive to your house, tie you up and throw you in the trunk, and drive you there and make you watch it. That's how strongly I feel about it.
And I don't even mean about the movie as much as the sense that you, personally, cannot help but enjoy it and say, "what was I thinking?"
I am prepared to allow for some alternate reality where you don't but I can't actually picture it.

Late vote in for The Lost Boys. Fright night is fine but from it really stuck with me where so many scenes and lines still resonate in my head from The Lost Boys. Is it a bunch of 80's cheese, yes, but in my opinion it is the some of the finest cheese of the 80's.

If it was playing locally I would seriously find out who the hell you are and where you live, drive to your house, tie you up and throw you in the trunk, and drive you there and make you watch it. That's how strongly I feel about it.
And I don't even mean about the movie as much as the sense that you, personally, cannot help but enjoy it and say, "what was I thinking?"
I am prepared to allow for some alternate reality where you don't but I can't actually picture it.

If this abduction scenario includes free popcorn it's a deal.

Talk to Me. This was awesome. The concept of teens using a supernatural object that communicates with the dead as a party trick and to get high is so funny. It plays out in some truly horrific ways too. Loved it.

Talk to Me. This was awesome. The concept of teens using a supernatural object that communicates with the dead as a party trick and to get high is so funny. It plays out in some truly horrific ways too. Loved it.
Yeah, out of all the horror allegories, the hand being like a drug is pretty solid. Especially as you watch more and more messed up stuff happening and the kids are just filming it and laughing and writing it off as no big deal. I think it actually captures the way that when someone is really high or really drunk they can think they're fine and it's all fun, and from the outside it's horrifying.

I could be wrong but I can't off the top of my head think of any particular reason you wouldn't really like it.
So I might keep the horror time machine going as a perpetual thing, and the next time I swing through 1995 I will make this the film I watch! (I went with The Addiction this time around).

Just watcged Grave Encounters for the second time. It's actually a very fine movie, aside from the monsters. That yelling black mouth and eyes thing did not age well. Very good claustrophobic horror film about ghost hunters caught in a mental hospital.