Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Black
Orpheus (1959)

The story is too fantastical for me no matter what color Orpheus is. This movie is fun and lively though, with a good look at Rio. It looks great and is a touch spicy for it's time.

Aha crick - I'm spotting a theme in your watching

The Lobster (2015)

Welcome to the human race...
Eyes of Laura Mars -

Might be over-rating this because of the various ingredients, but at least it wasn't boring and didn't waste too much potential.

The Great Train Robbery (1903)

One of the earliest films in American history that survives to this day, this is a silent 15-minute Western that is deserving of its classic status. Although not the first movie with a narrative, it is one of the earliest. Some of the black and white is augmented with hand-coloring and is quite effective, coming in shots like the smoke from gunfire, the explosion of a train strongbox, and the dresses of women dancing with their outlaw boyfriends. My only regret is that I almost forgot it was only 15-minutes long and was really getting into it when it came to an end with the famous image of the cowboy firing his pistol right at the camera. A must-see for any film completest.

Crimson Peak (2015)

Very effective and moody ghost story that doesn't scare so much as involve you in its tale. Although the story is not hard to figure out, given that one character practically gives away motive fairly early on in the proceedings, it still serves up some entertainment from director Guillermo del Toro. The story has rich heiress Mia Wasikowska wooed by Tom Hiddleston, who is eager to get financing from her father for an invention but is turned down. Naturally the father is dubious when Hiddleston suddenly declares his love for his daughter. But, they are married and her father mysteriously murdered. Jessica Chastain is along for the trip with her brother Hiddleston and right away she seems very mysterious. Things only get worse when they arrive at the mansion of the siblings and things quickly get weird for Wasikowska who has already been warned of the place called Crimson Peak because of the red clay pulled from the ground by mining. The warning has come from
WARNING: spoilers below
her mother's ghost, both in Mia's childhood and once before she goes with Hiddleston and Chastain to their childhood home.
She doesn't find out the name of the place until she is there and by then it's too late.

The movie, as I've stated before, is more creepy than scary, and there are ghosts, one
WARNING: spoilers below
malevolent and the rest trying to warn Mia of the danger she's in.
. The effects are pretty creepy, yet I feel like I've seen ones like them before. Still, on the whole, the movie is highly watchable and enjoyable, with good performances by all involved. There are some twists and turns, some of which you'll see coming, some maybe not. Very much worth a watch.

On Moonlight Bay (1951)

Charming, colorful musical starring Doris Day and Gordon MacRae, but the movie is all but stolen by Leon Ames as the gruff but loving dad, and Billy Gray as the young, trouble-making son. Doris is young and beautiful and in perfect voice and Gordon is handsome and in great singing form, but I was always waiting for Ames and Gray to reappear. Gray especially provides lots of laughs as the son who is always breaking things, lying or spreading false gossip, and generally being a good-natured holy terror if you can see your way to combine those two. A fun movie worth seeing and even if you don't care for musicals, stick around for the comedy.

What to say other than...

+

I'm not happy about rating this, since it was so oddly mesmerizing and fascinating and interesting that I still don't know where I stand. I could give this a first-watch rating of 3/5 and not hate myself for it, but know that it would likely be a much better rating if I let myself experience this strange and addictive atmosperic movie again...

Actually, I was tempted to start the film all over again once I finished, something I never considered or did before, but time got in the way, as did my belief in letting a movie continue its course in your mind after it has ended...

But for now, anyways, I'll just let my rating signal the fact, that I believe my body sees this as a masterpiece, but my mind has yet to settle about it...

I'm not happy about rating this, since it was so oddly mesmerizing and fascinating and interesting that I still don't know where I stand.
I only saw this movie once, about 8 years ago for a German film class. I felt much the same way, and have been meaning to watch it again for awhile now. I might have to move it higher up my priorities list. (:

The stories about the problems they faced trying to film it, and the disputes between Herzog and Kinski makes me want to watch a documentary about it, in a similar vein to Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau.

I only saw this movie once, about 8 years ago for a German film class. I felt much the same way, and have been meaning to watch it again for awhile now. I might have to move it higher up my priorities list. (:

The stories about the problems they faced trying to film it, and the disputes between Herzog and Kinski makes me want to watch a documentary about it, in a similar vein to Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau.
Well you're in luck there's two that deal with stuff like this, not Aguirre but pretty much what you're looking for. Burden of Dreams deals with all of the problems in making Fitzcarraldo which was a lot more troubled than Aguirre, i mean they did have to pull a boat over a mountain. Then there's My Best Fiend which deals with Herzog's troubled relationship with Kinski.

Both are among my favourite documentaries.

Films and films
Police story 3 : super cop By Stanley tong ....7/10

Wonderful movie. i have watched almost all of jc's movies , this is easily my top 10 of his my favorite Jackie Chan movie is however who am i.

Breaking Bad season 4

My favorite season yet! I thought it was a little more consistent than season 3, although I preferred that season's finale.
Season 4 was the best. Season 5 lost it's spirit and felt more forced. I liked it the least of all.

Just wait for season 5. I think the fifth season is the one that feels most controlled, professional and personal. It's kind of a perfectly measured "slow burner" full of intense little conflicts that comes together nicely for all characters.
The highlighted reasons are just couple of those why I dislike the 5th season.

Watched this kind of reluctantly because of all the bad reviews but i really liked it. The fight scenes are almost as good as winter soldier and the cgi looked pretty awesome. One thing i didnt like was i feel like the movie kinda tried to match the different stories and point of views into one but it didnt really bond that well.
My rating is 7, so I liked it. My biggest problems with the movie were inherent in it's premise of incredibly mismatched protagonists, but I think Snyder handled it well. Some unnecessary parts could have been cut off, but it had beautiful visuals and music to compensate. The worst thing about the movie was pointless doomsday destruction in the end.