The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

True Grit is a very good film but it's been a while since I last watched it.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy recently and I liked it well enough, decent fun. Good characters, enjoyable humour and good tunes. My favourite Marvel CU movie.

Seen: 51/62.

mark f

True Grit (Coen Bros., 2010)
+

I want to compare this exemplary flick to the John Wayne version. I actually give both versions the same rating although I thought that for awhile I might give this one a slightly higher rating. Let me tell you what I think of these two flicks which really aren't all that different if you're actually paying attention. I will admit that I've seen the Wayne version about 10 times so I basically have that one memorized and sometimes it's not described very accurately at that. For example, this flick is rated PG-13 and I don't think it's any more violent or profane than John Wayne's G-rated version. In Wayne's version you actually see Dennis Hopper's fingers fly off the knife. It tells you more about the era and the evolution of the MPAA than anything else.

This version has a terrific performance by Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon is much better than Glen Campbell as Shia's great-great-great grandfather. However, I think that Robert Duvall, Jeff Corey, Dennis Hopper and General Sterling Price are better than Josh Brolin, Barry Pepper and whoever the hell else they had here. Even the guy playing the Strother Martin role was obviously doing an imitation of Strother and it wasn't nearly as good. (Sorry, Holds.) Next, we get to the lead Rooster Cogburn. Bridges is very good. I thought he may have been trying to do Don Corleone, but then Josh Brolin sounded like he was too! But there's no way in hell that anyone who doesn't believe that John Wayne is such a Duck (from Unforgiven) won't think that Wayne is better than Bridges. I mean, Bridges, in my opinion, is better than his year-earlier Academy Award-winning performance, but he still ain't no John Wayne, and the people who think that Wayne did not give a performance as Rooster are in pure denial.

Other changes worth noting include the fact that the the intro to Matty was different, the intro to LeBeouf was different, the ending was completely transposed. What happened to LeBeouf seems to happen to Rooster, what happens to other characters seems to happen to Mattie, and thus perhaps it may seem less sentimental, but I don't really think it is. Steinfeld is excellent but the fact that she isn't there at the end of the film and is played by her older self seems to rob the character and the film of some of its emotional power. Unlike many others, I've always enjoyed Kim Darby in the original. Of course, it's a bookend and the opening bookend is also quite different than the original flick.

Something else I want to say is that Lucien Ballard's cinematography in the original is gorgeous and full of green trees, meadows, blue water and other very colorful locations. The Coens have Roger Deakins as DP but his pallette almost seems to rival what he did in Fargo. All the greens have turned grey, there is very little water and snow pops up in more than one scene. Apparently this is meant to highlight a difference in seasons and the fact that Arkansas and the Indian Nation just aren't that ripe and luscious as they seemed in the original which was admittedly shot further west than the story was set. There are quite a few other scenes which are different in this newer flick but I'll get to those later if anybody even cares. It's a solid movie, but with such a great plot, I'm not sure how it couldn't be. I'll try to come back and add some more later because although about 85% is the same, it's interesting and/or weird the small part which is different. Did Bridges steal Marlon Brando's Kleenex from The Godfather? Was Bridges' right eye covered because he's somehow left-wing while John Wayne's left eye was covered because he was super right-wing? I have no idea, but it's a thought. Irrelevant to two very good movies, but a thought.
Guardians of the Galaxy (James Gunn, 2014)
+

Genetically-engineered raccoon Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and a huge, walking “tree person” (Vin Diesel) [I am Groot!] are two of the unlikely Guardians of the Galaxy.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Guardians of the Galaxy was #77 on the MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films while the Coen Brothers' take on True Grit was #61 on the MoFo Millennium List as well as #22 on the MoFo Top 100 Westerns (fifteen places higher than the John Wayne original).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

True Grit is fine, but compared to my favorite Coen brother films, its characters, story, and themes didn't resonate with me enough for it to stick with me. My reaction to it was similar to my reaction for Hail, Caesar!, even though I'd probably choose the former film over that one.

It's been some time since I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but I remember finding it rather unfunny and about as forgettable as the average Marvel film.

So yeah, neither film made my ballot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm not too fond of the Coens (safe for Barton Frink) and I downright hated True Grit in 2011. Understandably, I have no way of articulating why after such a long period of time but my low rating speaks more than words. I found 1969 True Grit underwhelming but ended up liking it quite a bit. So yeah, remakes suck and all that...

The two Guardians of the Galaxy movies are hands down the only watchable Marvel films I've seen. Most Marvel stuff is irredeemable to me but the Guardians are actually alright. I can't remember a single thing about them except for the fact I thought the first one was way better than the sequel.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My favorite western, and my #4. The way the Coen Bros can take any time period & subject and make it uniquely theirs always leaves me in awe. This was one of my favorite theatre experiences when it was first released and 13 years later still holds a special place in my heart.

Guardians is very funny & entertaining, but not the kind of film I'd consider as one of my favorites. I may watch it again, as I do want to continue the series

My List:
4. True Grit (2010)
6. Hereditary (2018)
13. The Act of Killing (2012)
18. Midnight in Paris (2011)
25. Death at a Funeral (2010) (1 PTer)

I've seen both of these. It's been too long since I've seen True Grit to remember the details of what I thought and I didn't write it up (though I did find a 3+ rating I'd posted), but I vaguely remember thinking it was just okay. "Just okay" is exactly what I thought of Guardians of the Galaxy (and also its sequel).

I've never had any desire to revisit either movie so they never stood a chance at a spot on my ballot.

Seen: 34/62
My Ballot:
7. Joker (#60)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Review for Guardians of the Galaxy:

Guardians of the Galaxy (James Gunn, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/31/15
Cinema or Home: Funny Face's House
Reason For Watching: Funny Face wanted to watch it
Rewatch: No

I know Guardians of the Galaxy is well loved by many on the forum, but I was rather unimpressed with it. It had a few funny moments and few touching ones, but it was just way too Sci Fi for my tastes. It also relied far too heavily on CG effects - so much so that it pretty much qualifies as a hybrid animation/live action film. And while that style of film can work quite well, it just didn’t really work for me here and I found all that CG more distracting than anything else.

Also, a nitpicky side note – Raccoons are not rodents.

Now that we have the hint reveals, *chef's kiss.* I LOL'ed at the True Grit one.

It's a solid Western for sure. Steinfeld's performance may be my favorite debut one from that decade. I love how she delivers that Deadwood-like Western dialogue. Also, the confrontation with Chaney's gang is thrilling. I wonder, though: did the Coens cast Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper for the obvious reason? It seems in line with their sense of humor.

Guardians is fun as well. I like how it has the simplest of main plots, which makes it feel like a hangout with all those colorful characters. Rooker is a hoot as Yondu and I have no shame in admitting that Drax is my patron saint.

As a vocal, unabashed fan of both Westerns and Joel & Ethan Coen it should surprise absolutely no one that I had True Grit on my ballot. It was toward the bottom in the twenty-two slot, good for just four of its 144 points. I never much cared for the original film (nor John Wayne in general), so I was excited when I heard the Coens were returning to the novel for their next project. Jeff Bridges was perfect for the drunken-but-determined one-eyed, fat Marshall but the real revelation and star was Hailee Steinfeld as Mattie Ross. As with all of their films this one is beautifully shot and crafted, but it also adds an ingredient I always found conspicuously absent in the 1969 movie: grit. It is a cold, punishing, dangerous wilderness she rides into looking to avenge her father. And of course there is still plenty of Coen trademark dark humor.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
5. Take Shelter (#67)
6. The Artist (#87)
8. Silence (#43)
10. The Revenant (#53)
11. The Favourite (#61)
14. Nightcrawler (#55)
15. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (#72)
21. Room (#97)
22. True Grit (#40)

I expect another ten or eleven of mine to show in the remaining reveals.

True Grit is a pretty solid western, with some great performances, but as far as I'm concerned, it is a lesser Coen. For what it's worth, I haven't seen the original.

Guardians of the Galaxy would easily be my #1 MCU, and I even think it was one of the first I saw. I know the first ones I saw were Iron Man and Thor, but I was underwhelmed by both. So when I finally watched this, I was really surprised by how much fun I had with it. I think it has the perfect balance of comedy, action, and thrills. I had it on my short list, but ended up cutting it. I knew it wouldn't need my help anyway. Here's a review I wrote back when I rewatched it in 2019.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 47/62

My ballot:  

Think I'll just echo what has already been said above. True Grit is Coen brothers + western = can't go wrong. Not my favourite Coen, more in the middle area, but hey that's still better than most movies. And then Guardians of the Galaxy is top tier Marvel and a lot of fun. Maybe top Marvel?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

On another note I was thinking about the hints. Wouldn't it be better for people to post their guesses as comments on the post with the hints within x hours of the hints being posted? That way it's secret to only the host and everyone could get points for it not just the smartest and fastest - thinking timezones and duplicate guesses here. Could be an idea for the next countdown. But it is fun to see everyone's guesses when you have Speling doing a great job with the hints.

The best thing about Guardians of the Galaxy is that it works as a standalone film, separate from the rest of the MCU. You can go into it without having seen any of the other films and understand it just fine. It didn't try to tone down its weirdness, or ground things on Earth in order to appeal to a wider audience either, the way some films did *cough*Thor*cough*. It's colourful, it's fun, and it was #5 on my list.

Since I'm not a fan of westerns, I had no interest in seeing True Grit when it was new. It was on the movie network one time when I was home, and I watched maybe 15-20 minutes of it. Unfortunately, it didn't manage to convince me to watch the rest of the film.

Seen: 42/62

My List: 11
01. Dredd (2012) - #42
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
04. John Wick (2014) - #48
05. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - #39
06. The Hunt (2012) - #57
09. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #68
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #56
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) -#88

Another watched two-fer. I only saw each once. True Grit didn't really have the most amazing plot for me, so when I saw it I gave it 80/200. Loved Bridges, though. Guardians was hilarious, however. I didn't vote for either Guardians, but even though the first was hilarious, I would have voted for the second.

Seen 36/62.

This is not solely or directly related to the two newest reveals… but I think I’ve had a realization… maybe in fact, there’s nothing all that wrong with some of the movies popping up on this list, even though I dislike or don’t think much of a few of them.

Maybe instead, it’s the whole decade that’s just not that great. At least not compared with older decades. Many have said it before: movies overall are are not getting better. The standard is dropping. That doesn’t mean there aren’t great films in this decade. Because there’s even some of my absolute favorites. But it’s just… well… I guess I’ll just say the same some ol’ line… “they don’t make them like they used to”.

Anyways, as for the two recent entries, True Grit is far from my favorite Coen. I’m a huge fan of theirs (surprise, surprise) and even not counting No Country for Old Men, there’s still many great films in their filmography. Despite having seen True Grit twice I think, it leaves me with the same slightly underwhelmed feeling.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an awesome MCU film. It really helped me getting back into the MCU too. Very entertaining, funny and with a nice soundtrack. Good characters and a style that was, at the time, very unique and different. I’m fine with it on the list, though it’s quite a bit higher than I would want it I think.

This is not solely or directly related to the two newest reveals… but I think I’ve had a realization… maybe in fact, there’s nothing all that wrong with some of the movies popping up on this list, even though I dislike or don’t think much of a few of them.

Maybe instead, it’s the whole decade that’s just not that great. At least not compared with older decades. Many have said it before: movies overall are are not getting better. The standard is dropping. That doesn’t mean there aren’t great films in this decade. Because there’s even some of my absolute favorites. But it’s just… well… I guess I’ll just say the same some ol’ line… “they don’t make them like they used to”.

Anyways, as for the two recent entries, True Grit is far from my favorite Coen. I’m a huge fan of theirs (surprise, surprise) and even not counting No Country for Old Men, there’s still many great films in their filmography. Despite having seen True Grit twice I think, it leaves me with the same slightly underwhelmed feeling.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an awesome MCU film. It really helped me getting back into the MCU too. Very entertaining, funny and with a nice soundtrack. Good characters and a style that was, at the time, very unique and different. I’m fine with it on the list, though it’s quite a bit higher than I would want it I think.

This is basically Wooley's position when I messaged him about it.

Personally, I'd place True Grit as the third best Coen movie in a decade that probably had one truly great Coen Brothers movie, and the second one was kind of an enjoyable second (or maybe second point five) tier Coen movie. So probably not the best decade for the Coen filmography.

However, outside of There Will be Blood, I'd probably take everything from PTA in the 2010s over the 2000s.

Instead of two David Lynch movies (arguably masterpieces, but I'm probably alone on Inland Empire), we got Twin Peaks: The Return.

Granted this all comparing to the 2000s. Maybe outside of the very beginning and ending of that decade, people weren't that big on that decade either (I haven't looked at the countdown list for it nor its associated thread).

I think a lot of the highlights of the 2010s really came from A24 and I guess a lot of how you feel about the decade will be tied to how you feel about their films. Though, I'm also just kind of mentally ignoring the existence of Marvel, since they barely existed for me for the past decade as a movie watching experience, but as evidenced by the countdown, many people here did watch them.

I didn't care for True Grit, I didn't hate it either...but John Wayne was so much better in the original. The remake was just another watch it and forget it movie.

Galaxy Guardians
or whatever the hell it was called, pffft.