2024 Film Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Welcome everyone!

Here we are once more with the 7th annual film challenge! As always, we will be mixing things up with some old favorites returning and some new challenges set forth to shape your cinematic year. Do let me know if any clarifications are necessary or if you see any mistakes as I have been known to assassinate actors & directors on multiple occasions.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Important Notes:
  • The challenge officially starts on January 1st 2024, so start updating your lists with films you watch after that date.
  • How you count films is up to you. This is not a contest and it is up to each and every one to decide how they want to do this. I would suggest going for one category per film either in the main challenge or in nightmare mode, preferably films you watched for the first time this year, but that's just me.
  • In order for everyone to be able to effortlessly scroll down the page, I would suggest wrapping your updates in collapsible text, like in this post.
  • One of the Nightmare Mode challenges this year includes 10 films suggested by other participants, so please send me at least 10 suggestions each, in order to create a healthy and diverse pool of films for everyone to draw from.
Have fun watching films this year!

Relevant Information:

Useful Links  

Participant Recommendations  

Also answers to Jabba
Putting my own list down. I will be updating this post throughout the year.

Main Challenge: 36/52  

Nightmare Mode: 54/110  

Leftovers  

The trick is not minding
Here’s my list for updates. Looking forward to this years challenge, as always!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

The trick is not minding
Year of the Dragon
watch 10 films released in each of the years of the Dragon in the Chinese Zodiac
(1916, 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012, 2024)

In EACH year, as in ten films from the assorted years? Or did you mean choose ONE of these years (say, 1988) and watch ten films from it? I’m sure you meant *the former but wanted to make sure.

Year of the Dragon
watch 10 films released in each of the years of the Dragon in the Chinese Zodiac
(1916, 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012, 2024)

In EACH year, as in ten films from the assorted years? Or did you mean choose ONE of these years (say, 1988) and watch ten films from it? I’m sure you meant *the former but wanted to make sure.
I'd assume one film from each year, as there are exactly 10 years listed.

The trick is not minding
I know we have more then a week to go, but for the following challenge:

Stamp of approval
watch 10 films recommended by other participants of this challenge

I’ll just toss the following films down:

The Thief (1997)
The Ox (1991)
La Leon (2007)
Witchhammer (1970)
The Whisperers (1967)
Dust in the Wind (1986)
In the Earth (2020)
Battles Without Honor and Humanity (1973)
Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)
The Assassin (2015)

Do people want to throw out which streaming services they have? That way (if people want), they can recommend things that some/most people have access to.

The trick is not minding
Do people want to throw out which streaming services they have? That way (if people want), they can recommend things that some/most people have access to.
Gonna make me do the extra work, huh? 😒

The trick is not minding
If people want. If people want.

Yeah, just do the extra work.
Fiiiiiiiiiine.
I’ll look them up when I have a chance….I’m too…..lazy….and distracted by The Face of Another that’s waiting for me to start up and finally watch.

I expect I will do this again, most likely the main challenge and just part of nightmare mode. Hoping 2024 is as good as 2023 was for the movies!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Welcome to the human race...
Main Challenge 44/52  

Nightmare Mode 70/110  

Welcome to the human race...
Well, I really have watched all but three titles on the IMDb top 250 and only two were available on my streaming services - would Jai Bhim be a better choice?

Fine, I'll Play:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu
Disney Plus
Peacock

Free Services:
Tubi
Pluto

Any films I list are gonna be tentative until the first when I can see things shake down.

Generally this year, going with more light-hearted fare. And for the most part, trying to do first time watches.

And I'm likely just doing the main challenge again this year...will do some nightmare as/if I got time.

Seen It
(Watching It)
Plan on Seeing It

Main Challenge 16/52  

Nightmare Mode  

Extras 3/3