Brightburn

→ in
Tools    

The movie was pretty good in my opinion my girlfriend, on the other hand, thought it was decent. I had a few problems with the film but left the theatre with a smile. The acting was alright, but the story felt like something out of the twilight zone especially towards the end. There were a couple of scenes that kept me in my seat. Don't expect the Breyers to be a carbon copy personality of the Kents. I don't see them that way. I love Brandon's Supermanesque cape. The storyline feels quite original. The ending is a treat (: AMA

Boldly going.
WARNING: "Predictable" spoilers below
The story was very predictable: we know from the trailer that the boy will turn evil. So it's no surprise when he kills the chickens, then the waitress, then his uncle, then his dad. The only question mark was his mother, and whether she would kill him with a part from the spaceship. But when we see him let his mother reach the ship, we are fairly confident he's testing her loyalty (because he is too smart to let her do that, and too quick to make a mistake). They're setting up for a sequel with that ending, but unless they're going to do something more interesting, I'm not interested in seeing it.

Welcome to the human race...
In retrospect, I'm not even sure it was that good an idea in the first place if all they wanted to do with it was just depict not-Superman but with hard-R violence. Even their nominal attempts at subtext are flimsy.

As for...

WARNING: "Brightburn" spoilers below
the ending, I didn't think it was necessarily setting up a sequel so much as parodying the typical superhero movie stinger, especially considering how it is framed like the much-derided scene in Batman v Superman where the rest of the Justice League are given rapid-fire introductions in a glorified clip show. It even has "Bad Guy" playing over the top to really layer on the irony of it all.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
My review here

Basically it had potential, but wasted a lot of it.

Suspect's Reviews