The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Strangers on a Train was number 20 for me. It was a really good film the second time around for me. Enjoyed Farley Granger and Robert Walkers performances especially. The carnival scenes were brilliantly executed.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two very entertaining early '50s movies which I love but didn't vote for (for those who can relate, sound like a broken record?) I can summarize all of Hitch's Strangers suspense set-pieces with two words - "Criss cross"

What makes Harvey so endearing after all these years:
Try to watch Harvey again Cq because it is really quite funny, but you see, Elwood P. Dowd isn't really "funny". He's probably the perfect person to have as a best friend, a father figure or a confidante though because, even though he drinks a lot and "may" see things, he has just about the strongest grip on being a kind human being as anyone we've ever seen in our times. Elwood would never hurt anybody and always thinks the best of people, and even if that seems awfully naive, in a perfect world, it would pass for what's expected of everybody. No hatred, greed, violence, wars, etc. Just a lot of open, happy people getting together for the enjoyment of doing so. That's why Harvey is a classic, even if it's a tad dated. The sanest man in the world is seen as insane. This world would do well to take some lessions from Elwood and his friendly pooka Harvey.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

-and-

"Harvey and I sit in the bars... have a drink or two... play the juke box. And soon the faces of all the other people they turn toward mine and they smile. And they're saying, "We don't know your name, mister, but you're a very nice fella." Harvey and I warm ourselves in all these golden moments. We've entered as strangers - soon we have friends. And they come over... and they sit with us... and they drink with us... and they talk to us. They tell about the big terrible things they've done and the big wonderful things they'll do. Their hopes, and their regrets, and their loves, and their hates. All very large, because nobody ever brings anything small into a bar. And then I introduce them to Harvey... and he's bigger and grander than anything they offer me. And when they leave, they leave impressed. The same people seldom come back; but that's envy, my dear. There's a little bit of envy in the best of us."

- Elwood P. Dowd, Harvey

Shout out to Throw Momma From The Train which uses the same 'you kill for me and i'll kill for you' idea and Danny Devito actually gets the idea from going to see Strangers On A Train, because it's hilarious.

I don't think Old Yeller is going to show up. (now watch it show up tomorrow)
I will be shocked if High Noon and The Searchers dont make the list. And we are dew for one more disney film and it is either gonna be Treasure Island, Old Yeller or Alice In Wonderland.

Here's Crickets top 50 guess with the ones that have shown up since he made it taken off. There's 33 there and 30 spaces left so IMO no Old Yeller or Godzilla. Not sure what else should be taken off, Sweet Smell of Success or The Ten Commandments maybe?

12 Angry Men
400 Blows
A Streetcar Named Desire
Alice in Wonderland
All About Eve
Ben-Hur
Bridge on the River Kwai
Dial M For Murder
Godzilla
High Noon
Ikiru
Night of the Hunter
North By Northwest
Old Yeller
Pickpocket
On the Waterfront
Paths of Glory
Rashomon
Rear Window
Rio Bravo
Searchers
Seven Samurai
Seventh Seal
Singin' in the Rain
Some Like It Hot
Sunset Blvd.
Sweet Smell of Success
Ten Commandments
Tokyo Story
Touch of Evil
Vertigo
Wild Strawberries
Witness for the Prosecution

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Top Ten Prediction (No Particular Order)

12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
Rear Window
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Bridge on the River Kwai
Paths of Glory
Singin' In the Rain
Dial M for Murder
The Searchers

An Affair to Remember is number 6 on my list.
In a Lonely Place is number 11 on my list.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers is number 16 on my list.

That makes 10 films from my list.

I have seen La Strada, and I have yet to watch a Fellini film I like.
I watched 4 of his movies. I liked 2, found 1 to be quite boring and 1 to be very, very boring. His stuff is very like visual music for particular type of tastes.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yay! Two movies from my list showed up today!

Strangers on a Train was #10 on my list, and Harvey was #11 on my list. I was pretty sure that Strangers on a Train would show up, but I was starting to get a bit nervous about whether or not Harvey would make the countdown. It's a great movie, but I rarely hear anyone talking about it. I'm glad to see that it made the countdown.

I've seen 54 of 70 movies.

My List:
2. An Affair to Remember (1957)
4. Oklahoma! (1955)
8. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
10. Strangers on a Train (1951)
11. Harvey (1950)

I am using the list from the first page of this thread. I missed Strangers on a Train. It's number five on my list. That makes eleven films, so fat.

Two good films I like okay, but neither are close to favorites. I love the book Strangers on a Train too much to really appreciate the film, which I'd seen a couple of times at least before I read the book, and afterward the movie was basically ruined for me. And I've just never gotten Harvey. Its charm fails me for the most part.