Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

Under The Shadow (2016)

Tense and atmospheric horror set in 1980's war-torn Tehran. Has a nice mix of jump scares and psychological meanderings that keep it emotionally charged throughout. If you liked The Babadook then chances are you'll enjoy this.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Roof - 9/10

If you have any tears left, watch this movie. Especially with the US and the world in disaster (and not just because of some election).

A poor couple is trying to make it in this crazy world, and people gather to help build them a squat to live in, and the "man" doesn't even let them do that. But there are ways around this.

Vittorio De Sica is the greatest director ever.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I thought this too. It was a solid movie, shot well and acted well. But at the end of the day I didn't feel I was rooting for the brothers who had murdered 4 innocent people. Which I thought was the point of the film. They were greedy evil murderers who didn't want to work for a living. Am I supposed to get behind them? Didn't work for me.

That said there were some very good scenes, Bridges was excellent and the script was extremely good. But once your anti heroes are more anti than hero, it begins to feel a bit laboured.

7 or 7.5 out of 10.
I seem to remember the "poverty is a sickness, that is passed from generation to generation" type of line. It doesn't make what they did commendable, but I didn't see their motivation as a new Cadillac to park in front of the strip club.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Been to busy/lazy to write a full fledged review, so I'm just gonna give my quick thoughts.

It's good, just an average good film, felt it was trying to hard to make you laugh at times, nothing new really, except for the visuals, which are some of the best I've seen in a long time.

Dread (2009)

Has about the subtlety of a locomotive. Dread tries to explore the concept of fear, but ends up bludgeoning us with the subject matter through cliched horror tropes that feel more like Final Destination than Psycho or Vertigo. Then again, it's one of those edgy "After Dark" films, so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more than an amateur work.

You could tell that this could have been a much better story if executed by someone more experienced in handling such psychological subjects (Fincher for one), but unfortunately, this Clive Barker short story just fell into the wrong hands. I don't mind a downer ending that leaves you uncomfortable and disturbed, but there are honestly more interesting ways to do that sort of thing ("Saw", "Se7en", and even "12 Monkeys" come to mind).

Good if you're bored for some cheap thrills, but otherwise, don't waste your time on this.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Angel and the Bad Man (1947)
Very pleasant western with a solid moral compass.

Jackpot (Norway)
A great lil dark comedy with a broken moral compass that got thrown out of a speeding car.

I, Olga Hepnarova (2016)

Olga is such an odd character, her shoulders slouched, eyes underneath dark bangs darting suspiciously, her walk a stiff legged pivot. She's shy and timid, ever calculating and shut in inside of herself. To find out afterwards that this is a historical figure is impressive due to the definition they gave her existence. I went in blind so what can be chalked up to untreated mental illness kind of felt like a gray area that maybe deserved interpretation. That was a fool's errand. What we're left with is a character study handled with such kindness and consideration that you can't help but to pity the perpetrator as much as the victims. Yes, Olga was a victim as well. Perhaps not to the people she assigned blame, definitely not to those on which she took revenge, but at the very least to inner demons and the institutions that failed her.

http://boxd.it/c42A7

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The Chase (1966)
-

Not very memorable. So much talent, such a great cast and yet, such a boring film. It was too long, too drawn out and not very exciting. A failed melodrama. At times, it felt more like an in studio soap opera. I did enjoy seeing all those familiar faces.

Cut-Throats Nine (1972)

+

I watched this Spanish spaghetti western because I saw it called the most violent western ever made. I wouldn't quite go that far, but it would be in the discussion. A bunch of dangerous criminals are being transported through the snowy mountains by horse and wagon, something happens, and now the officer (for some reason with his pretty daughter) must transport them by land. The officer's wife was raped and murdered, and one of the convicts turns out to be responsible. This is a very bleak movie, and the setting adds a lot to that, and it's nasty and violent. On the other hand, the acting and direction is mediocre. It's a decent movie if you're looking for something mean.

The Times of Harvey Milk - it was alright, but I'd recommend MANY other documentaries first. 99% of the emphasis is placed on sexuality. I think a person has a LOT more to them than just that, which is a private thing no one sees anyway. What kind of movies did he like? Music? As for SF, I think there were lots of other issues facing the city - like gentrification, which really destroyed it. Now it's Silicon Valley

The Children Are Watching Us - 7.5/10

There's not that much to the story. Could have been better if it had more story than a mother who screws around, screwing her family and others constantly.

Orphan (2009)

Before The Conjuring came along to sweep horror movie fans back into the rejuvenation of the genre, there was this movie - and appropriately enough, also starred Vera Farmiga in a winning performance far surpassing her later, more notable role as Lorraine Warren. Here, she played a mother named Kate Coleman who's struggling with the loss of her child. Deciding to overcome her trauma, she wanted to give her unreciprocated love to an orphan named Esther. Things didn't go quite as planned, as the 'child' hides a dark secret.

Orphan marked a welcoming return to the horror genre that James Wan's Insidious would pick up a year later. For the one that got the ball rolling, it was a commendable effort, albeit undeniably flawed. The main factor that kept a good portion of the film from achieving excellence was its reliance on convenient plot-devices and some very dumb characters, one of whom, the dumbest of'em all, was too dumb to live. One of the persisting issues that exist in movies with problematic children is that the parents never talk to their children, ever. While this can be understandable in real life, considering the amount of bad parenting out there, the parents in the movie don't behave like the irresponsible parents out there without regards for their children, so their personality was already contradicting with the main conflict of the story! The story just tried in the most obvious way to make the worst case scenario happened by making the characters do something incredibly moronic that real loving parents they tried to act like would have thought of in the first place.

So because the bad things that happened later in the story happened because of the parents' own fault - particularly the father - there should've been very little reason to care about what unfolds next. Thankfully, Farmiga's very believable portrayal kept me caring about the struggle of the mother to protect her children. The kids played a prominent role in keeping the audience caring too, particularly the older brother, Daniel (Jimmy Bennett, AKA young James T. Kirk in Star Trek 2009), who could've so easily been an edgy rebellious teen, but instead brought a refreshing perspective to the story. Isabelle Fuhrman as orphan Esther is worth commending too for her creepy and surreal performance, but most of the film's quality hinges on Farmiga more than Fuhrman in this writer's opinion.

There's also the very palpable tension, of course, that later horror movies reviving the genre would express better. Some minor jump scares aside, most of the scares were genuine, relying on real adult fears regarding parenthood than cheap horror techniques (although there were still cheap horror techniques).

The few good moments that raised my suspense presented an unpolished film that served as a good template for better productions to follow - and as mentioned, such movies are always commendable.

The Purge: Election Year (2016)

I've always liked the whole idea of these movies, but quite frankly I'm sick of this franchise. Although not bad watches, all three are average to mediocre. I will at least give credit for trying a different spin with each movie. I'm just all set with them.

The Heiress (1949)

This is a nice Academy Award winning classic from ace director William Wyler. I don't want to say much about the story. Ralph Richardson plays a wealthy man whose plain daughter (Olivia de Havilland) doesn't measure up in his eyes to his beloved deceased wife. She does stand to gain a nice inheritance. She meets a man (Montgomery Clift) and falls madly in love, but daddy suspects he's a golddigger. This is an elegant and very well done film with fine performances. There are some fine dramatic scenes, but I never became as involved as I thought I should be. This is one of those times that I'm questioning myself as a movie watcher. I may have to watch this again.

Hard Times (1975)

Just what you'd expect from a Charles Bronson flick - gritty, tough, pull-no-punches, and chock-full of charisma.
I liked it a lot.

Imperium

Harry Potter goes undercover as a white Supremacist. Had some mixed feelings going into this, read some quite negative reviews, (anti-white propaganda?) and wasn't sure about Potter being in this role but he and it totally won me over, it felt real and not biased and just presenting things the way they are (which makes sense as it is based on true events) with genuine tense moments and surprising plot development. 7/10

The Siege Of Jadotville

Top notch dramatic war film with stellar performances all round based on an incredible true story 8/10