Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes...

A bit more dull than I remembered it, but the soundtrack and whole atmosphere of the movie is still lovely, and I loved the ending.
I actually really enjoy this film although I'm not a fan of the ending and some of the dialogue is a little cheeky, but it builds very (in my opinion) dimensional characters and probably has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

+

There were multiple dream sequences in the film which, obviously, tried to plagiarize Tarkovsky. There's the levitating woman (mirror), an emphasis on Christ imagery (rublev), and I won't even mention the heavy-handed bird metaphor. There's a fine line between paying homage and plagiarizing: Inarritu crosses that line.
I think the dream sequences and the cinematography in general are far superior to Tarkovsky....

Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Jarhead, Inglorious Basterds, Black Hawk Down are some off the top of my head.
Seen all of these, but good recommendations:

Lone Survivor -

American Sniper -

Jarhead -
+

Inglorious Basterds -

Black Hawk Down -

The Revenant

I am really fed up with the overly hyperbolic assessments of this film's photography - as it is not anything special. Lubezki's camera feels detached from the events on-screen, as I was always aware of the camera's presence, even when I shouldn't have been. Besides, this is a film drowned out in dark,moody color palette. It just made me realize how much better Lubezki's work was in the Terrence Malick films; as there he actually used colors. Compared to Barry Lyndon, a film that uses "natural light" effectively, this movie comes out looking mighty pedestrian.

Edit: The bear scene sucked. The entire theater was laughing.
I'm not saying I'm in love with the film, but I'm not sure I agree with your feelings toward the film either. The bear scene had me at the edge of my seat even though it was really obvious CGI imo. About Lubezki's camera I feel as though it wasn't obvious he was there, but like his most of his work he was guiding me through the story and emphasizing the symbolism of all of his shots. You may disagree with the themes of the film, but you have to admire the conditions they were in and the rich symbolism and interpretations you can take from the film. I have gripes about it too, but I did think the best part is the cinematography.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone thats seen sicario more than once.
I got the impression it's not really a film I'd want to watch twice.. once the mystery is gone i've a hunch it would all fall flat.

I'm gladI watched the film and all, it was interesting. had cool arial shots. but it wasn't great.
I watched "Sicario" twice and it was good both times. If you like atmosphere in the movie, you will like to revisit it, because the movie does not concentrate on mystery that much. I think "Sicario" is one of the best movies of 2015.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
It doesn't sound like you agree at all.
Haha yeah that was confusing. Matt seems to be averse to movies that aren't script/dialogue heavy, which is unlike me. But here I wasn't evaluating the movie at all!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Been a while. . .

After Life (Japan)
The dead are sent to a social worker setting to tell their most significant/happy memory to be recreated for them to be in for eternity. It's very similar to a documentary setup, which works perfectly for it. Quite endearing and touching film.

The Perfect Host
A bank-robber looking to hideout from the police picks the WRONG house. Some very serious potential that didn't quite make it. I kept feeling I should be enjoying it more than I actually did.

The Paperboy
a truly gritty, realistically violent, dark film that seemed a bit lost in it's self.

(REWATCH) Minions
How I DO love me some Minions!!

The Lunchbox (Hindu)
Quite an emotionally beautiful scenario develops between two lonely individuals who begin to send notes to one another when a lunchbox continues to be delivered to the wrong person.

Care for some gopher?
Ben-Hur (William Wyler, 1959) -

Big Hero 6 (Don Hall/Chris Williams, 2014) -
+

The Godfather: Part 2 (Francis Ford Copolla, 1990)

It's the same masterpiece I remembered, and definitely the best on the trilogy.
Compared to the first one the second part is a popcorn movie

Air Force One (1997) - rewatch

Air Force One has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Despite some of the ridiculous plot elements and mediocre acting, it does a good job of keeping the intensity level up from start to finish.