1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

Nope, I was just making a suggestion if Raul's pick doesn't count anymore.
You usually just move on without adding a new one. It doesn't sound like Raul has completely made up his mind however.

sorry to hear that.
I do see Velvet is on temporary ban so if everyone else wishes to hold off on this movie til it gets resolved, in whatever fashion. please do.
Think it's only for a day or two.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You usually just move on without adding a new one. It doesn't sound like Raul has completely made up his mind however.

Think it's only for a day or two.
thanks camo!

spoke with Raul and want him to have all the time he wishes to decide, and better to wait and see how it all comes out.

Just asking but if a member does drop out does that mean the deadline changes or does it stay the same?
considering the Holidays, I may leave it as is and, should folks knock them out before that time, then, well, that's kinda obvious.

I've watched The Warriors taking me up to 2/14. I'm planning to post reviews of both that and Eraserhead, as well as anything else I watch at the end of the week.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Sting

"Your boss is quite the card player, Mr. Kelly. How does he do it?"
"He cheats."

With my favorite line of a favorite movie is a prime presentation of what this movie is about.
As stated previously, I've loved this movie since childhood. A pairing of two great actors, Robert Redford and Paul Newman that comes a very tight second to their first pairing; Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. God only knows how many times I've seen this and I know it front to back, in and out and while I could have easily wrote a review without a rewatch, why on earth would I pass an opportunity NOT to watch it.

This, may or may not have instilled a fondness for Grifter movies but they truly do a wonderful tip of the hat to the Con and those who were at the top of the trade way back in the day. For this movie, the mid 30's in Chicago. Which was an ideal location as we get to meet a small timer, (Redford) running a game on bag runner for the wrong man (Robert Shaw). Though, technically, this part happens outside Chicago in Joliet, but that's purely a technicality.
From there, Redford's character goes to meet an old time, big con expert, for revenge, (Newman) and they go to work on Shaw.

From there, it is a razor's edge that is danced upon to get to the final big con with, not only Shaw's character; Lonnegan's thugs, but a bunco cop (Charles Durning) chasing down Redford's Hooker. All of it done with some lovely placards opening up each new chapter and the now famous "The Entertainer" played on piano. Also, the remaking of old time Chicago is really done well. From the clothing, to streets and buildings, its all quite impressive.

Through the twists of the con are some very funny moments along with some delightful little nuances played out in the actors' eyes as the game gets played out. And I would be remissed not to salute the secondary actors who, all do a splendid job; from Eileen Brennen to Ray Walston and the dapper Harold Gould.

As I've said, this is a favorite and I hope others enjoy this as well. Thanks @Jay Redrum for nominating such a fun and enjoyable movie!

I just watched Sorcerer and read this review.
As for the film it starts off trying to be an arty movie but fails and then transitions into a much more straightforward action/thriller. Throughout the film it struggles with pacing issues and at times feels a bit choppy. In the latter half their is some nice set pieces specifically the bridge scene but the first half couldn't help but leave a bad taste in my mouth. Overall this film struggles with its identity and has pacing issues but the second half transition allows for a much more solid film.

Overall I would give it a 2 and a half stars out of five
What does that mean exactly. How about elaborating with more details. What you wrote is so generic, that it sounds like it could fit any movie.

Sorcerer
I have been up and down with nominations from cricket and at this time THIS as been my favorite so far....@cricket
I'm going to write my review of Sorcerer as soon as I wake up. I just got up a bit ago and haven't even finished my iced mocha yet

You're right...Sorcerer is the best Cricket nomination! I loved the movie...And as a nomination it's very unique and one I had only heard about it for the first time a few weeks ago when ironically I was looking for obscure but good 1970s films for this very Hof. Thats when I found an article on IndieWire that mentioned Sorcerer.

IndieWire
10 Great Overlooked Films From The 1970s

BTW, there's a number of under seen great 1970s films in that article. If you look at my Top 10 you will see one of them there.

great little article, @Citizen Rules! Johnny Got His Gun is an amazing and emotional movie; one that was on my considering list for this. And Robin & Marian was my One Pointer in the 70s Countdown. It didn't mention that playing King Richard was Richard Harris who utterly stole the opening scene with his presence.

great little article, @Citizen Rules! Johnny Got His Gun is an amazing and emotional movie; one that was on my considering list for this. And Robin & Marian was my One Pointer in the 70s Countdown. It didn't mention that playing King Richard was Richard Harris who utterly stole the opening scene with his presence.
I've had my eye on Johnny Got His Gun for awhile now, as it's a Dalton Trumbo story. I've seen Robin & Marian it's nicely done too. I watched it when I was on an Audrey Hepburn kick. I think it was her last movie Too lazy to look those facts up. I had noticed it was your one pointer

I'm watching Martin in the next few days. Think it looks interesting from the trailer, not a typical vampire film:

Oh, that does look good. I’m sure you will love it.