Showdown Song Tournament: Battle of the Male Solo Artists

Tools    

Master of My Domain
NF - Notepad VS. George Harrison - Crackerbox Palace
NF is awesome, great job of nominating him.
George Harrison - This Song VS. Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie

Bryan Adams - Cuts Like a Knife VS. Peter Gabriel - More than this

Bob Seger - Still the Same VS. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone * Alt. Link

Rag 'n' Bone Man - Lay My Body Down VS. Frank Ocean - Swim Good

Lou Reed - Perfect Day VS. Steve Perry - Strung Out

Frank Ocean - Golden Girl VS. Bryan Adams - The Only Thing that Looks Good on Me is You

Frank Ocean - There Will Be Tears VS. Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes

NF - Motivated VS. Lou Reed - Strawman

NF - Therapy Session VS. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Frank Ocean - We All Try VS. George Harrison - Blow Away

Bob Seger - Sunspot Baby VS. Marvin Gaye - Can I Get A Witness

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On VS. Peter Gabriel - Red Rain

Bob Seger - Her Strut VS. Rag 'n' Bone Man - Life In Her Yet

Lou Reed - Vicious VS. Rag 'n' Bone Man - As You Are

BATTLE ONE

Y'all vote how ya want - I'm keeping it real

Despite the horrendous vision of cricket palming one off that sadly now goes 'hand in hand' with this one

Not even the superior unplugged version of Cuts would have got my vote here

Bob Seger - Still the Same VS. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone
I like Seger, as a child I won a promo copy of Ramblin' Gamblin' Man , but this was easy

Shame - like both

Tough match - Perfect Day bores me sh1tless nowadays tbph but then so does waiting an age for a song to start

Frank Ocean - Golden Girl VS. Bryan Adams - The Only Thing that Looks Good on Me is You
Had it been Black Pearl off of 18 I might have voted the other way

"There will be tears in your eyes" - hey, don't blame me, blame the randomiser!

Far better from Lou, no shame for the underappreciated Nate to not get through here

T'other matches will have to wait until tomorrow, I've a life and a garden to get back to

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal

If you look at the image in the video, (see the screenshot below). it has the album cover on the left side of the screen, and the right side of the screen has the song title, the artist's name, and the album title. Also, the uploader is usually either the artist's name or the music company's name with the word "Topic" after their name.

sweet, I'll be keeping an eye out for that, from here on, THANKS

NF - Notepad VS. George Harrison - Crackerbox Palace not getting on with whimsical Harrison. I've heard of NF but not listened before (NF=Bad connotations to that abbreviation in my generation!) Quite like him, he's gutsy but he's creeping over the edge in a lot of songs into an Eminem disciple, but this one's good

Bryan Adams - Cuts Like a Knife VS. Peter Gabriel - More than this Not mad on that PG song but like it more than Cuts like a Knife

Bob Seger - Still the Same VS. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone * Alt. Link If I was only allowed to take Marvin Gaye songs to a desert island I'd be a happy woman. Just listen to that quality, and he just got better as he got older

Rag 'n' Bone Man - Lay My Body Down VS. Frank Ocean - Swim Good I'm putting it out here so I don't have to keep repeating it - I'm in love with this big man, his voice gives me the shivers, sweet, raw, bluesy, deep, high, he hits the right place. I do like Frank Ocean's sweet voice too

Lou Reed - Perfect Day VS. Steve Perry - Strung Out - I'll not be tired of Perfect Day, there's just some days that are, and when that happens well there's your song all premade

Frank Ocean - There Will Be Tears VS. Peter Gabriel - In Your Eyes There's some real personal memories with the album So. When I hear some of the songs I can well up, 1986 was the best and the worse of years.

NF - Therapy Session VS. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill this is where NF tips over (see above comment!), but I would've voted for Solsbury Hill anyway, it's such an English song

Bob Seger - Sunspot Baby VS. Marvin Gaye - Can I Get A Witness jeez listen to Marvin - if you're not dancing in your kitchen there's something wrong with you

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On VS. Peter Gabriel - Red Rain would def have voted Red Rain on most of the other pairings, but man, Marvin melts my heart

Bob Seger - Her Strut VS. Rag 'n' Bone Man - Life In Her Yet my man

Lou Reed - Vicious VS. Rag 'n' Bone Man - As You Are and my man again

Crackerbox Palace is a fun little song by the quiet Beatle

Steve Perry's most well-known song against one of George's obscure songs. Easy match

Peter has better songs. Knife is one of Bryan's best rockers

Bob Seger - Still the Same VS. Marvin Gaye - I'll Be Doggone * Alt. Link

Tough match. Really tough match!

I have a feeling that Rag 'n' Bone Man is going to be the Of Monsters and Men of this tourney. An unknown artist to me that will blow me away. Great tune. Frank's song's was good but not just not as good or mindblowing

Strung Out is a fun little Steve Perry rocker, but Perfect Day totally eclipses it.

Frank Ocean - Golden Girl VS.Bryan Adams - The Only Thing that Looks Good on Me is You

One of Bryan's grooviest tunes. Love it!

Ahhhh...I love the sound of In Your Eyes. Such a lovely ballad. Peter's best song!

As a gym rat, I found Motivated intriguing, which is why I give it my vote

Climbing up on Solsbury Hill

One of George's best songs, both as a Beatle and solo artist

Marvin's song is sweet to my ears.

Sorry Peter, no contest here

Rag 'n' Bone Man's song is amazing

Rag strikes again with an excellent song, good enough to beat one of Lou Reed's coolest rockers.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Guess my votes aren't required then .... just got up early to finish the set, f*ck that for a game of soldiers in future

Master of My Domain
Pretty sure Chyp is a Frank Ocean supporter... right, right?

Don't worry about the 24 hour window.

I'll keep it open until all votes are in.
er.. @mojofilter , what happened to this? Chyp hadn't finished voting yet. You have to bear in mind we are in a different time zone to you. Sorry, but can you recount after Chyp has voted please.

er.. @mojofilter , what happened to this? Chyp hadn't finished voting yet. You have to bear in mind we are in a different time zone to you. Sorry, but can you recount after Chyp has voted please.
I've a dentist appointment shortly and doubt I'd get much free time after that anyway - today's window is basically lost. If subsequent sets are gonna have so many matches and little to no courtesy given to players I may as well just drop out I think

Pretty sure Chyp is a Frank Ocean supporter... right, right?
I quite like Frank aright

I've a dentist appointment shortly and doubt I'd get much free time after that anyway - today's window is basically lost. If subsequent sets are gonna have so many matches and little to no courtesy given to players I may as well just drop out anyway
hey don't drop out. It's good to have a variety of tastes voting.
Can we do something about this please @mojofilter

hey don't drop out. It's good to have a variety of tastes voting.
Can we do something about this please @mojofilter
Hey I'm still in unless similar happens again. It's mojo's tourney - he can close rounds when he feels like it, that's his prerogative. Maybe my votes weren't required in those matches as there was a clear winner anyway (I've not counted)?

'Tis an extremely long 'shortly' for the second set though isn't it - at least if they'd been put up I'd have had something to make leaving me scratcher at unholy o'clock worthwhile

Hey I'm still in unless similar happens again. It's mojo's tourney - he can close rounds when he feels like it, that's his prerogative. Maybe my votes weren't required in those matches as there was a clear winner anyway (I've not counted)?
Actually, (and I know this isn't the point as I know you're like me and like to vote anyway) I've just counted up and the winners of the second part you didn't vote on were all clear winners by more than one vote so there wouldn't have been any one vote deciders anyway.
Remember SC's tourneys where he'd declare even before a lot of people would vote - really annoying!

Guess my votes aren't required then .... just got up early to finish the set, f*ck that for a game of soldiers in future
just vote to your earliest convenience. I'm pretty sure Mojo will wait and redo and the rest of us too. It's not like we are in an office chasing deadlines.

just vote to your earliest convenience. I'm pretty sure Mojo will wait and redo and the rest of us too. It's not like we are in an office chasing deadlines.
Nah, I don't see much point voting once the results are announced - to me that's a bit like watching a tape of a sporting event when the result is already known.

I'm over it, I don't particularly mind a round being closed without my votes if all the ties are already decided - it just peed me off this morning as I got up early specifically to finish off that set but it was closed despite it having been previously stated that it wouldn't be until all votes were in. Had it been a matter of expediency to move things along I'd have completely understood (and had the second set to vote on) but here we sit the best part of a day later...

At least the dentists went well - just a clean required and I got a 'gold star' for my maintenance

Nah, I don't see much point voting once the results are announced - to me that's a bit like watching a tape of a sporting event when the result is already known.

I'm over it, I don't particularly mind a round being closed without my votes if all the ties are already decided - it just peed me off this morning as I got up early specifically to finish off that set but it was closed despite it having been previously stated that it wouldn't be until all votes were in. Had it been a matter of expediency to move things along I'd have completely understood (and had the second set to vote on) but here we sit the best part of a day later...

At least the dentists went well - just a clean required and I got a 'gold star' for my maintenance
please don't abandon this tourney despite your negative feelings. We need you. It won't be a fun without you. I humbly demand @mojofilterto recount the tourney with Chyp's votes.

please don't abandon this tourney despite your negative feelings. We need you. It won't be a fun without you. I humbly demand @mojofilterto recount the tourney with Chyp's votes.
Nestorio I'm not jumping ship and nobody needs to petition mojo on anything - my comment this morning was borne of frustration at having nothing to vote on after giving up the very rare opportunity for a lie-in as the cats had both unilaterally opted to go out earlier at 3:30am.

I got wrapped up the past 24 hours and wasn't able to log in until now.

So, why all the drama?

I would count your votes, @Chypmunk, but they will not make a difference. Why? Go back and and count the votes for each match. They have ALL been decided with 6 or more votes, which means the winners are already there, with or without your votes.

I value your votes like anybody else, but that round was already determined as I have explained.

I'm not an idiot, guys. I've hosted tons of these tourneys and know better, and you had nothing but good things to say about my hosting. All I ask is that you trust me as we move forward. Thanks

The second set of matches is on the way...sorry again for the delay