Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Akira was the first movie I put on my to-watch list for the Sci-Fi Countdown, since I've been meaning to watch it for years but haven't gotten around to it. I did turn it on the other day, but wasn't really in the mood to watch it so I only saw the first few scenes.

If someone had nominated it for this HoF, that would definitely get me to watch it sooner, but I like the nominations we have now (even if Rock & Rule would've been a better choice for me haha).

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
While not super into Akira, I thought it was good enough. I liked the artstyle and the main character's best friend (neither of which are named Akira btw), a goofy street kid who joins an anti-goverment movment just to get into a girl's pants.

As to what I would've nominated if I didn't pick NIMH, Titan A.E. was on my short list. Also, if you'd caught me in a different mood, you might've been forced to either watch a feature length episode of Ducktales...

It's like Indiana Jones...but with ducks!

...or an adaptation of William Shakespear's The Tempest done by a famous swedish animation director.

The title translates to "The journey to Melonia"

It's actually not half bad, and it's available on youtube with english sub. Check it out if you want. The animation style's a bit...odd, but it lends itself to the overall charm of the movie.

One other thought I had on Tokyo Godfathers. It seemed to me that this movie could have been set in any country. I think it's the first Japanese movie I've seen that didn't showcase their culture in some way. I don't think it helped or hurt my enjoyment, just an observation.

Night on the Galactic Railroad (Ginga-tetsudô no yoru) (Gisaburô Sugii and Arlen Tarlofsy, 1985)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/4/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: jal90's Nomination for the MoFo Animation Hall of Fame
Rewatch: No.

I don't think I'd ever heard of this film prior to its nomination in the Animation Hall of Fame and it's unlike most films I've seen.

Though beautifully animated and possessing solid voice performances, Night on the Galactic Railroad is not a film for the attention deficient. It is quiet and contemplative with a hazy, surreal, dream-like atmosphere and somber mood. There is little action to speak of and the film is devoid of humor.

I had some very mixed feelings about it overall. While I have nothing but respect for the look and general feeling of the story, I struggled to connect with Giovanni or Campanella - the film's primary characters. I wasn't completely without sympathy for them, but my emotional investment in them was tenuous at best. I do think there is potential for this film to grow on me with a repeat viewing, however, so I may revisit it sometime in the future.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Nah, I pretty much knew I was going to nominate something from Kon, just wasn't sure if it would be Tokyo Godfathers or Paprika. I went with Godfathers because it seems to be the less seen of the two.

Paprika was nominated in a different HoF. I think it was the Sci-Fi HoF.

As to what I would've nominated if I didn't pick NIMH, Titan A.E. was on my short list. Also, if you'd caught me in a different mood, you might've been forced to either watch a feature length episode of Ducktales...

It's like Indiana Jones...but with ducks!

I would have loved it if you had nominated DuckTales the Movie. I have the DVD because of the comparisons to Indiana Jones, but I've never gotten around to watching it.

I would have loved it if you had nominated DuckTales the Movie. I have the DVD because of the comparisons to Indiana Jones, but I've never gotten around to watching it.
You should. I have no idea if it holds up but this was one of my very favourite films as a kid, loved the show too. I'm glad he nominated Nimh because i really wanted to rewatch it but i would've been happy with Ducktales too.

You should. I have no idea if it holds up but this was one of my very favourite films as a kid, loved the show too. I'm glad he nominated Nimh because i really wanted to rewatch it but i would've been happy with Ducktales too.

DuckTales is on my list of "I want to see this, but there are so many other movies that I also want to see, so I'll get around to it eventually" movies.

DuckTales is on my list of "I want to see this, but there are so many other movies that I also want to see, so I'll get around to it eventually" movies.
Yeah. Also Known As: The list that never dies. I have one of those

I've been very sick all week, so I've been slow to start this HoF, but I finally got a chance to sit down and watch a movie this afternoon.

I started with Tokyo Godfathers, and within the first few minutes, I was convinced that this wasn't my type of movie, and I wasn't going to like it. It felt like it was going to have a religious feel to it, (with the baby being found on Christmas), and I didn't like any of the characters because they seemed brash and self-centered. But a short few minutes later, it quickly took a sharp turn, and I found myself fully engrossed in it.

The three main characters individually weren't likable, but as they interacted with each other, and other characters, they became like a pseudo-family. The more they showed how much they cared about the baby, the more I started to like them.

As the story progressed, there were a lot of coincidences that seemed very far-fetched, but it somehow seemed to work in this movie. As it went on, the coincidences became predictable, but it didn't seem to matter. It didn't take anything away from my enjoying this movie.

About an hour into the movie, I was forced to turn it off due to an unexpected problem, (not related to the movie), but it just reinforced how much I was enjoying the movie. I usually don't like foreign movies, (especially ones with subtitles), but I couldn't wait to get back to this movie to find out how it all worked out. And when I got back home, the first thing I did, (even before sitting down to eat dinner), was finish watching the movie. For me, that's the sign of a great movie.

Tokyo Godfathers

First of all, i want to say that Kons Animation is solid but not something that i greatly care about, i don't agree that the animation in his films are anything special his films are mostly about the story with the animation being an additional plus but nothing in any of the four have made me think he deserves praise there. This is not a criticism but it is also not praise, i don't think he was considering attacks on how well animated his films were since this wasn't his main objective; and i have to say all four of his films met his standards of interesting story and even visuals; but i'd argue Paprika is the only unique one visually. Perfect Blue is my favourite for the record.

Just got to say the first time i ever heard of a newborn dumped in a dumpster was in american media and i admittedly laughed at it; being 13 or whatever and not really thinking about it. Now i've got older and stopped being a moronic teen i just don't know what to say knowing that it has happened even here in Scotland. Glasgow even, just the worst . The full baby thing really got to me. I think the part that got to me the most was the character (i can't remember who it was) saying that he doesn't remember not being homeless because it has been over twenty years and that they wanted more for this baby. That's pretty much it, i was close to tears from the simplest things throughout this because the tone was managed so well.

The score in this was just so perfect. That slimey song (don't even know what intrument) played throughout was so in line with everything today actually; it was at least partially played seriously as much as ironically at Hana. I really don't know anything about Kon but i must say i'd be surprised if Bringing Up Baby and/or His Girl Friday weren't at least in his head while making this. This comes across as a more restrained version of the former with less dialogue than the latter. Great choice Miss Vicky. Perfect Blue is still my favourite of his but i'd say this is joint second with Millenium Actress. My favourite part was probably "that woman stole my truck" 'my bike', chase. It was the best animated and most full of passion part in the film IMO.

The rooftop part really got to me not really because of that scene but because of her running up the stairs before this. The penultimate episode of Mad Men involves stairs and is one of the saddest pieces of media i've ever seen so i think that was partially involved in me being so sympathetic in the end. And yeah i did cry or at least watered up with that song and everything Sachiko says. Hana catching the baby and gently drifting down after grabbing whatever that was that helped her float down was ridiculous but i liked the way it melded into the last scene.

Great nom MV, thanks for getting me to watch this

For the record: Perfect Blue>Millennium Actess=Tokyo Godfathers>Paprika

They are all great.

I really liked Crickets comments on Tokyo Godfathers so i added them and him to the reviews post - http://www.movieforums.com/community...13#post1598613

He said he might watch a few more, even if he doesn't i think he put enough effort into watching and writing something about that people watching Tokyo Godfathers should be able to read his opinions.

No rush. We got 10 weeks to do this, right? Nobody should feel forced to burn throughl the noms as quickly as possible. It might even put a dampener on something that should be fun if we just run in head-first, trying to get it done.

No rush. We got 10 weeks to do this, right? Nobody should feel forced to burn throughl the noms as quickly as possible. It might even put a dampener on something that should be fun if we just run in head-first, trying to get it done.
Who are you responding to haha? Raul as far as i'm aware has never suggested anything like this, you in the 11th as much as an awesome member i think you were; were much more influential in people rushing through these than Raul ever was. He's probably the most laidback member on the site.

True, though I never intended to be. I set a high tempo mostly without meaning to, just because I was excited to watch the noms and to hear what you guys thought. In hindsight, I might've taken it a bit slower (which I will do this time) and given a bit more time for the movies to sink in. My point was that he needn't be sorry for not getting to a movie three days after we've started when we have two and a half months.

Go through the noms as fast as you want obviously. He is the host so i thought you meant something else by that, since ya know he can extend the date for himself if need be. I think he just meant that being the host he'd like to keep up with the conversations but he hasn't so far: partially because he's in like nine other HOFs haha

Perfect Blue
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Forbidden Planet
Heavy Metal
Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Angel's Egg
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Watership Down
Venus Wars
The Animatrix

You forgot these in your list. You can add them now and get everyone to recast their votes.