Aussie star Bana chosen as next James Bond

Tools    

Aussie star Bana chosen as next James Bond

LONDON (AFP) - Australian actor Eric Bana, star of films including "The Hulk" and "Troy", is the surprise new choice to take over as James Bond, a report said.

The beefy 35-year-old had beaten off competition from British actors such as Jude Law and Ewan McGregor to take over the role of the super-spy in the long-running series of films, the News of the World said.

Current Bond, Irish actor Pierce Brosnan, has stepped down after four films following a row with producers, the Sunday tabloid title said.

Bana was still negotiating with the series producers but they were hopeful he would take over for the 21st title in the series, due to begin filming later this year, the paper cited an unnamed "insider" as saying.

"Eric is the guy they want but he has a reputation for being demanding. They want to modernize Bond and turn him into a youthful, suave and modern hero to compete with the likes of Spiderman and Keanu (Reeves) in the Matrix," the source said.

Bana was formerly a popular comedian in Australia before grabbing attention in 2000 film "Chopper", in which he played a real-life character, a famous -- and famously violent -- Australian criminal, Mark "Chopper" Read.

He has subsequently appeared in a string of US blockbusters, most recently playing Hector in swords-and-sandals epic "Troy".

The James Bond films, based on the novels of Ian Fleming, have proved hugely successful ever since the first title, 1962's "Dr No", in which Sean Connery took the lead role.

Thanks Susan… I guess that settles who is next in line… I had thought they might really go with Owens but Bana is not a bad choice… he looks pretty good in black…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I don't mind Bana as Bond. Nope not one bit
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Mrs. BDT to y'all
Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against Bana, i like him as an actor and he's a pretty good looking guy, however he just hasn't got the Bond factor, cant anybody see that????

Originally Posted by Carissima
Dont get me wrong, i have nothing against Bana, i like him as an actor and he's a pretty good looking guy, however he just hasn't got the Bond factor, cant anybody see that????

I haven't seen enough out of him yet to make that judgment… but apparently he impressed the 'powers that be' with his ability to be Bond… so I'm willing to give him a chance...

I really like Clive Owen, a lot, but in a way I'm glad he won't be chained to the franchise...which for my money has become tiresome (True Lies and the Bourne flicks have been better "Bonds" than anything the series itself has produced since The Spy Who Loved Me). I am glad they went with a lesser-known actor such as Bana rather than an established persona. From Chopper to Hulk to Bond - who'da thunk it?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Have they completely eliminated any possibility of letting Tarantino direct a James Bond film?

A system of cells interlinked
Not a Bana fan, and I agree agree there hasn't been a decent Bond picture in 20+ years...

Moonraker....Boooooooooooooo.

The news was bullsh!t. In an interview on the radio this morning with the man himself, he had no idea what the media was speculating.

I'm a Big Fat Dynamo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank god for that - not his kind of role. Not action-y enough for him.

Troy, Chopper, Black Hawk Down - Good
Bond - Bad

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by BigDov
Thank god for that - not his kind of role. Not action-y enough for him.

Troy, Chopper, Black Hawk Down - Good
Bond - Bad

The Hulk
- Awful

#1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan
I think they should maybe get Orlando Bloom or maybe ashton Kutcher? I know a lot of people will probably disagree. But isn't Eric Bana a little too serious? That's my opinion.

Yeayyyy so Hugh Jackman's still got a shot!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Today I read in my morning paper that Orlando Bloom is going to play a young Bond in school.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Today I read in my morning paper that Orlando Bloom is going to play a young Bond in school.
That would be...interesting.

Originally Posted by Moviez&Dvdz4life
I think they should maybe get Orlando Bloom or maybe ashton Kutcher? I know a lot of people will probably disagree. But isn't Eric Bana a little too serious? That's my opinion.
Well Bana is still un-confirmed, and in my yet so humble opinion James Bond requires some seriousness alone with a panache and finesse that those two young stars are yet to aqquire, although Bloom is well on his way.