Cloverfield (1.18.08)

Tools    

I saw it yesterday, everybody has got to go and see this film.
I really, really enjoyed almost every second of it. :]

A system of cells interlinked
The other thing is though, they have been making movies of that sort long before 9/11 (ID4 comes to mind, but again, that's a sorta thing where they know vaguely who/what it is) so I personally think its more that they may be just going with the formulaic concepts inherent in this type of movie.
Yeah, commented on this issue in the 'box earlier...the difference being the examples of Armageddon and Deep Impact were given, but the same applies to Independence Day in this case...

here is what I wrote -

"Yes. Those films were told from Gods eye view, as opposed to Blair Witch-like "found footage," which is sort of the reason I mentioned it. War of the Worlds used this mechanic when the pod first rose out of the ground, and the result was chilling, at least to me in the theater when the film was out.

New York has indeed been the target of many a disaster film, but I think this is the first to really kick up the 9/11 vibe, from the footage I have seen, anyway.

Keep in mind I am commenting off marketing material only, as I haven't seen the film."

Cloverfield, from the marketing I have seen, seems to use some of the same sort of mechanics that Blair Witch used, in which the viewer's perception is filtered through a camera that exists in the film that is owned by one of the characters. This creates a sort of gimmick that limits the viewer's knowledge of what is going on, keeping it on par with the characters in the situation on screen. A lot of this footage brought to mind for me the footage shot on the streets of NY on 9/11. Really I am just curious to see what sort of slant has been put on this film, if any, and what sort of subtext exists.

In Cloverfield you see the point of view of character Hud (who only is shown on camera himself for only a brief minute) Though the footage is interwoven with some of Rob and Beth's day together going to Coney Island. The videotape being used to capture the monster in New York City happens to recorded over the event. But it sn’t all bad. It gives us some character background. I didn't mind, for I thought the use of the camera in the film was cleverly and extremely well done.

Hope you guys like the sequel....

Also you guys who have known that I've been posting anonymous hints about the movie since the first trailer. I think its safe.....

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/904/539vcifpl6.jpg

there are 2 more movies and 2 more monsters after this.

Also you guys who have known that I've been posting anonymous hints about the movie since the first trailer. I think its safe.....

Riiiight. So, just to recap: you signup, say cryptic things, offer a few hints, and when those hints end up having nothing to do with the movie, you shift gears so that you can continue to pose as an insider.

Sorry, sell somewhere else; no one's buying here.

I just know they're coming to kill me.

What is that poster even trying to say? I don't see any indication of monsters or the like other than its a vertically split mirror image of the old poster.

Fan made, yes.

And fan made statements about sequels.

Riiiight. So, just to recap: you signup, say cryptic things, offer a few hints, and when those hints end up having nothing to do with the movie, you shift gears so that you can continue to pose as an insider.

Sorry, sell somewhere else; no one's buying here.
Did those Slusho drinks ever come into play in the movie ? Spoiler free answer please.

almost looks like theres a face (the monsters?) in the middle where the smoke meets...anybody else get that?

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Hmmmm, this film looks like it might try to depend on a 9/11 subtext? A day of disaster with people running around wondering...

"What's going on? Who's doing this to us?"

I wanted to come back to this, as your post stuck with me enough that I watched the movie keeping an eye towards your line of thinking.
Funny enough, there has been a number of movie review boards with (in my mind, uninformed and overly sensitive) posters saying how horrible the movie is, simply because there are some scenes that do look VERY close to film shot on 9/11. I took those scenes another way, even though its not a really pleasant thought. They were able to film those scenes in a much more realistic way, since we have all now seen what that sort of thing actually looks like. There would be plenty of people out there that would give those scenes a bad rap for looking unrealistic if they didn't film them the way they did, simply because we do all know what it does look like.
Thinking back to other movies that had major destruction in NYC, we all can see that, even though a building may fall or whatever, it ended up looking far too "clean". We know what it would look like now, and I figure most people will expect to see the "real" look of such destruction from now on in any movie.

I still think that overall there is no real 9/11 subtext intended, but I'm glad you thought to post that.

Hud= Heads up display, I like it! I read an article in Empire where Abrams said that the monster was a metaphor for 9/11 , like Godzilla was a "walking bomb" and Dawn of the Dead was the disintegrating face of capitalism.Or whatever.

i wanna play a game......monopoly?!
wow jrs, Cloverfield was nothing at all like that review on movieweb that you said the movie was going to be like.

i wanna play a game......monopoly?!
so in other words it wasn't real at all!

Beware The Probe!
I specifically didn't read that review before thinking it was just about right, but after reading it now, yeah it's not even close to the movie.
I think someone wrote their version of events based on trailers and viral rumors.
Made an interesting read though.

<EDIT>
By the way, here's a real artist's rendition of the monster for anyone who wants to see it.

And I believe this would be Slusho's version of it...