Top Ten Movies of 2008

Tools    

I'm a fan of Pixar, and I've been thinking that WALL-E is their best effort to date. I've got a nice list of films to see from 2008, thanks to this site it has grown considerably. I have top ten lists for the years from 1990-2007, its just lately I haven't been rushing out to see every new movie like I used to. Been revisiting alot of my old favourites and chipping away at my lengthy list of 'films to see before i die', which is constantly growing.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
What happened to Kung Fu Panda?
It was one of those films that lost a lot of it's charm seeing it on a TV screen. It's probably like #11 now.

It's been a really light year for me, so I haven't gotten to see that many. And there are still a few that I have yet to see but really want to, like In Bruges or Frost/Nixon. Of the few that I've seen tho,
these are my top ten faves (so far):

10. [REC]
Take what Cloverfield took from The Blair Witch Project, add a dash of 28 Days later, and then sprinkle on some sub-titles (at least, in my case),
& there you go. A quality zombie flick of which I rarely get to see without a giant glob of gooey camp splattered all over it.

9. Fear[s] Of The Dark
A really cool anthology horror flick that's done all in black & white animation. Five different short stories, each written by one of five different artist and/or comic book creators with a style based on that particular creator's artstyle. The film also includes 2 intervals stitching the whole thing together. Each story's animation done with a real sense of vibrancy, despite the monochromatic color scheme, enhancing the feel of creepiness that is the heart of this film's intention.
Just plain good stuff all around.

8. The Fall
A fairy tale fantasy of hope told by a "real-world" stuntman who has given up on it "all". A visually creative film with claims of no CGI (?). A refreshing & yet still stunningly lavish epic for those who want a break from the usually computer-generated eye candy that has become the norm.

7. Kung Fu Panda
Alot of the same stuff I said for Wall-E, though Kung Fu Panda has enough of it's own style to stand away on it's own. I don't think that the story was told as successfully as Wall-E's, but the next level of the "anthropormorphic" facial expressions & the characteristics of the movements reached in this film seem to make up for it. The humour is displayed as much in the way the characters move & "act" as it is in the jokes in the script.
(Quick side note: This year I also watched the two Appleseed movies on video. And looking at the evolution of these two anime films just made a few years ago, coupled against the more westernized works such as this years's entries of Kung Fu Panda & Wall-E , I truly feel that we are living during a good time in the making of 3-D animated features.)

6. Iron-Man
As a comicbook nerd, it's really cool for me that more of these types of movies are being made with more attention to the quality, visually & "creatively".
I found this one a much more cohesive origin story than Marvel's major player, Spiderman's first go-at-it. The problem with the first film of any superhero flick is to be able to show enough of a detailed origin while still leaving enough room in the film for a transition of the character learning to deal with his/her powers & then some kind climatic confrontation with some sort of antagonist figure. I found this movie to be much better paced than other initial efforts of Marvel properties like the Hulk or Spiderman, with a much more naturalness to the characters, as evidenced by Downey Jr's humor & the comfortable chemistry between he, Gweneth Paltrow & Terence Howard.

5. The Dark Knight
Considering that it seems like everyone & their grandma went out to go see this, do I really need to explain why this one kix so much ass...?
Gotham City is falling apart, Bruce Wayne is becoming more distant, chaotic vigilantism is growing more rampant & on top of it all, there's some crazy make-up wearing Joker out there taking advantage of it all.
Heath Ledger in a final performance that marks a high point in his all too short career.

4. The Wrestler
A down to Earth tale that takes place behind the scenes of the squared circle lifestyle that is the "rasslin' world. The Wrestler is a film that shows what can happen when the accumulated effects of one "passed his prime" superstar's "bad" decisions catch up to him before his dreams do.
When they talk about a "performance that makes the movie", this film is almost as pure of a definition of that statement as it gets. Mickey Rourke's performance as Randy the Ram" Robinson [is] this movie. And it's definitely my favorite single acting performance of the year.

3. Cloverfield
This movie gets an extra point just for the surprise factor of how much I ended up enjoying it. I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. I saw this flick with my brother-in-law, & remember that when the lights in the theatre came on, we both looked at each with an expression of "Whoa" on our faces.
As an adult, one of my absolute favorite things about going to the movies is when I see a film that brings back those feelings that I used to experience as a kid whenever I saw something that was too fantastic that it was beyond the realm of our realty & yet watch it come to life on the big screen in front of me.
A giant alien monster ragin' thru the streets of the Big Apple is a pretty good f'rinstance.

2. Wall-E
It seems like these days, every season, an animated movie comes out displaying the next level of computer-generated visuals. For the year of 2008, it was this film & Kung Fu Panda. While not so surprising in that I (we?) expected the details in the graphics to be as detail & realistic as they were, it's still quite stunning to behold.
And even though Wall-E contains the basic formula elements one would expect from such a family film, it's still quite surprising how often & consistantly filmmakers are able to intergrate the amazing graphics into the quality of the storytelling in a manner that seems fresh & keeps the messages from feeling too cliche. At the rate that these types of highly sophisticated computer animated flicks are being released, it's remarkble that the ratio has been so much more good than bad.
A futuristic story that despite it's epic themes of environmentalism, technological over-dependence & the effects of idleness on the soul of humanity when it is stripped away from the natural strife of life, at it's heart, it's also an effective story of loneliness & longing between two computer-animated robots that despite their mechanical make-up, offer up enough heartfelt human emotion that is depicted with just a simple vocabulary that consists of nothing more than their names & a directive.

1. Let The Right One In
Good horror movies come so rarely into my life. The same with good vampire movies. And the same also goes for good love stories (I refrain from using the term "romance movies" since I find Hollywood's idea of romance is always so impossibly & ridiculously fairy-tale-like). This movie is 2 outta 3 (Though there is some, it's very light on the horror). Told more in an adult manner, yet still with enough of an escapist sensibilty that is respective to the genre, this is a soft, beautiful & beguiling story (which is really saying something since I don't know what that word means) of two 12 year olds finding love for the first time thru the flaws of each of their separate (& sometimes desperate) life situations.
The lead actors for this movie portray their characters with a true down to earth awkwardness that is usually found with kids at this age, along with a longing that is both sincere & convincing.
As far as vampire love stories go, I find myself agreeing with those who compare this one with another human-falls-for-bloodfeeder film that was released around the same time :
the 15 year old girls can have their Twilight. I'll take LTROI.

Has Let the right one in had some sort of major cinema release in America or did everyone see this on DVD? Either way, how did you guys hear about it, was there a promo campaign or just word of mouth? How come foreign horror films are more likely to find an American audience?

You're a Genius all the time
I can't speak for my fellow Americanos, but I only heard about Let the Right One In and subsequently searched it out on the interwebs after it began popping up on just about every critics' top ten list. It got a limited release (opening opposite the wildly popular Twilight) and it hasn't been distributed on R1 DVD yet, no. To answer your last question, sir, and this isn't blind jingoism/patriotism/assholism talking, America's better than every other country. Get used to it.

Let the Right One In is the balls.

I wants to see Let The Right One In, last i saw it was due for release much later in the year over here. I heard about it through word of mouth, then it's appearance on several lists

I was kinda joking, Adidasss. Actually, I have a very conflicted relationship with America and we're probably not better than every other country. I'd guess the reason foreign horror films do so (relatively) well is because of their lesser reliance on dialogue. Most horror flicks are pretty formulaic and don't require a whole lot of effort on the part of the viewer to follow along. So they're more accessible than a heavier sorta film like The Lives of Others or something. Let the Right One In isn't really a horror film, by the way.

Dude, forget knees. We're the bee's whole friggin' leg. That said, Swedish's explanation about language makes a lot of sense to me. That, and maybe things like fear are more universally similar than things like humor or drama, which might vary more from culture to culture.

Back on topic: I'll have to think about my 2008 list. There are still a fair number of films that many regard as quite good which I've yet to see, so I'll probably need to wait a month or two before doing so. I've got about 3 or 4 that I'm pretty settled on, but I'll have to wait and see where they all shake out.

I think foreign horror travels because they're not being made for the biggest demographic possible, or mindless money spinning franchises / remakes etc.

Foreign horror flicks do seem to have more heart, yes.

Looking at some of these MoFo top ten lists, I think I've come to the conclusion that 2008 had the best slate of summer popcorner type films I've seen and the worst overall awards season group of movies. That's not a horrible thing, necessarily, but I hope it doesn't become a regular occurence.

Actually that was a crap question. I figure horror films, just like art films, have a specific and usually fanatic audience which is willing to look past the language barrier in search of a good thrill.

Every year has at least one breakaway foreign hit (if you can call it that, it's not like it's cleaning up at the box office), this year it seems to be Let the right one in. I can't really think of anything else that's been mentioned as much...

Anyhoo, 2008 hasn't been a particularly good year for me. I'm gonna hold off a few more weeks before making a list so I can catch up with some titles (tis the season for screeners, hurrah!)...I'm expecting a lot from Synechdoche and The wrestler...

Movie Forums Extra
almost in order:
slumdog millionaire (one of my faves ever i think)
wall-e
tdk
forgetting sarah marshall (2008?)
iron man
wrestle
indy 4 (yes i liked it, despite the major flaws)
tropic thunder
mmm....

I'm not sure if I will be able to make a list, I've seen more movies this year than ever before. I've still got several to go and when the nominations come out I plan to catch as many of those as I can too.

Not that you're all sitting around waiting for my list or anything...

@ Adi, I watched Let The Right One In online on me big screen... I'm a pirate now.

I watched Let The Right One In online on me big screen... I'm a pirate now.
Naughty naughty...

Just kidding. Love your avatar!

1. Frost Nixon
2. Dark Knight
3. Slumdog Millionaire
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. The Wrestler
6. Milk
7. Iron Man
8. Revolutionary Road
9. Religulous
10. Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Notable Mentions: Tropic Thunder, Gran Torino, Hellboy II.

Movies I haven't seen yet: Man on Wire, The Counterfeiters, The Reader, Doubt, WALL-E, Burn after Reading, Waltz with Bashir, Australia, Changeling, Let the Right One In.

Ones that left me disappointed: Quantum of Solace, Seven Pounds, Indiana Jones, Hancock.

What was it that you liked Frost/Nixon so much scarjo? Although I thought it was a good film, I have to admit that I was a little disapointed that I wasn't blown away by it. The acting was good, but not amazing, which I'd hoped it would be and, while I thought that Howard did a good job making the play cinematic (certainly more than many stage/screen adaptations I've seen) I felt that the 'climax' (the Nixon confession) just wasn't exciting or climactic enough. I understand that Howard was hampered by the actual events and how they unfurled, but I thought it was lacking. If I'd 'just' wanted to see what happened, as it happened, I could've watched the interviews themselves.

I also didn't like the way that Frost came across as a rather caviler chancer, who only got serious about his subject a few days before the final interview. It's true that he was a jetsetter and a bit of a playboy, but I think that he was more serious about his work than portrayed in this film. I could, of course, be completely wrong.

jack and the beanstalk

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
ok in no real order for me. LOL

1. Get Smart ( was that 2008)

2. Walle

3. Day the earth stood still

4. x files

thats all i know lol. Those four are the only movies I seen.

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

There was just too many great movies to narrow it down to just ten.

20. The Pineapple Express
19. How To Lose Friends And Alienate People
18. W
17. Tell No One
16. Frozen River
15. Happy-Go-Lucky
14. Snow Angels
13. Frost/Nixon
12. Synecdoche, New York
11. Revolutionary Road

10. The Visitor
9. Let The Right One In