Things that annoy you...

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I never get trick or treaters out in the boonies. I wish I lived in a neighborhood. I enjoy halloween and dressing up in costumes. It's just not worth the effort out here though. YEARS ago I went to visit mom when she was in Montgomery, living in a good sized neighborhood. I dressed in my ever faithful zombie clown get-up and sat in a lawn chair in the front lawn with a giant pumpkin full of candy cradled in my arm. I just looked dead and didn't move, all limp and leaning into the arm of the chair. I had sunglasses and a wig on so it was hard to tell whether or not I was a prop. I also had a bicycle horn hidden by my other hand. =\

Two teenage girls walked up daring each other to get some candy. "Is it real?" "no, it's a dummy. go get some candy!" After a few minutes, they finally clutched their arms together and approached. Once they reached into the pumpkin I honked the horn and jumped up nearly tossing my huge plastic clown shoes into the air. Scared the hell out of them and they cursed me so loud as they ran away. I wish I could do that every halloween

But yeah. As to being annoyed, that would be me forgetting to turn my porch light off on the tricker-or-treat night and some kid actually knocking on my door and there I am without anything to offer. I hate that halloween never happens on halloween so that I can remember just ONE day to prepare for. =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

We only ever entertain Trick or Treaters if the wife is at home, if I'm on my own (like I will be this year) I turn the lights off and act like we're out. I've absolutely nothing against Trick or Treating, just a grown man home alone giving out candy to little (and not so little) girls and boys has never sat well in my head

We only ever entertain Trick or Treaters if the wife is at home, if I'm on my own (like I will be this year) I turn the lights off and act like we're out. I've absolutely nothing against Trick or Treating, just a grown man home alone giving out candy to little (and not so little) girls and boys has never sat well in my head
It's kind of funny you offer that perspective. As I was typing my reply earlier I kept thinking how socially awkward and risky that might be today. A grown man giving candy to kids ...and not-so-kids. What has this world become!? lol. I just want to scare a few smart asses!

What kind of BS is this "trick or treater night" you people are talking about?

Not a thing here. There are special events at schools, churches, community centers, etc. where kids can dress up and go trick or treating that sometimes happen on days other than Halloween. But door to door? That happens on October 31st regardless of what day of the week it falls on.

It's kind of funny you offer that perspective. As I was typing my reply earlier I kept thinking how socially awkward and risky that might be today. A grown man giving candy to kids ...and not-so-kids. What has this world become!? lol. I just want to scare a few smart asses!
Scare away I say!
I've just always been very self-conscious around kids, even when I was one myself I tended to have as little as possible to do with the nasty little critters

What kind of BS is this "trick or treater night" you people are talking about?

Not a thing here. There are special events at schools, churches, community centers, etc. where kids can dress up and go trick or treating that sometimes happen on days other than Halloween. But door to door? That happens on October 31st regardless of what day of the week it falls on.
All the churches around here have kind of taken over. I believe this weekend was the big candy run so that it didn't fall on a school night. I don't know. I stopped trying to drive through the masses years ago and have secluded myself into my home with a salt filled shotgun, cans of vienna sausages (both for eating and throwing), and gas light to ward away those leery of approaching under-lit houses. If I see headlights from peering out the edge of my curtain I might start to howl. If all that fails, I do have a chainsaw. This usually goes on for 10 days and nights.

Ha! you guys made me look at the calendar on the wall, of course I don't actually know what day it is so then I had to look at the calendar on my computer. It's all a bit too early for April Fools me things

Yeah, we've got a similar problem. I think our first ever year in the new house, we got a pretty decent stream of kids. And either every single year since, or nearly ever year since (like eight years!), we've gotten a tiny fraction of that. Once or twice, virtually nobody. It's bizarre. We end up with extra candy every year just because we'd rather have too much than not enough.
That is bizzare!
And had the same experience at my old house in which I lived for ten years (2008 - 2018).

First Halloween there was gang busters. I couldn't fill the candy bowl fast enough and had no leftovers! Kids were coming in waves!

So second Halloween in the house I went all out: spent a lot on candy, carved a Pumpkin (I think I did Ultron that year), decorations, had a whole party atmosphere with my Scary Music Mix Tape playing... and the trick-or-treaters had dwindled.

Every year after it got less and less - I know at least a couple years I got absolutely nobody!

One year that stood out was 2012 because Halloween was canceled due to Hurricane Sandy, but they moved trick-or-treating to a later date: I think I got 2 or 3 on that date.

Yeah, growing up Halloween just seemed like a bigger deal. It varies a lot from location to location I'm sure, but I think maybe there's just been a cultural shift over the last 20 years where parents, in general, are just way less likely to strictly/heavily regulate candy consumption or something. That seems to jibe with some anecdotal observations here and there.

It’s not a thing on our street either. Our gate is locked in any event, but I don’t see any parents & kids out there on Halloween.

I lived on a side street of a highway for 18 years and never had a trick-or-treater (no kids in the neighborhood)... until my landlords downstairs had two kids.

On one hand it was kind of nice: not having to plan for Halloween, buy candy, etc.
Plus, I could always go to my parents' house or friends on the evening in question to experience it.

Annoying: trick-or-treaters with no costume.
Do they really deserve candy?

One year I asked a kid with street clothes on "what are you supposed to be?"
He answered: "A high school student - see my varsity jacket?"
It wasn't like a bygone era jacket or anything, but the one from the high school seen on most of the local kids walking home from school or hanging out on any given day.

Any more kids don't trick or treat on 31st of October. Most churches have "Autumn Parties" (ooooh Hallo'ween is Satanic and yea I know where Hallo'ween or "Samhain" originated) and have something the Saturday before called "Trunk and Treat" in school or community center parking lots. When my daughter was young I would take her around and after she got old enough to go with friends on their own, I just stayed home and didn't pass out candy. Not that I was being cruel, you just didn't trick or treat in my neighborhood at that time. We had a group of well to do houses up around our museum which used to be the home of Robert Long, lumber baron and owner of the Kansas City Star, so the kids went there for the "better" candy (full size bars and such).

This year I off work on 31st and November 1st, I may just hang out at a friend's house and see if they get any kids coming by.

from my blog....

Samhain, the old Celtic holiday that represents the end of the old calendar year and the time when the veil between the Human world and the Spirit world is the weakest. I love this holiday! Why? Because when it was Samhain, life was easy, the Old Gods were still alive in human hearts. Today's holiday is from a modern world that is full of commercialized "tricks or treats".

Well, as I said, Samhain is when the veil between the two worlds are the weakest. The souls of those who had died during the year traveled into the otherworld on this night. People gathered to sacrifice animals, fruits, and vegetables for a bountiful harvest. They also lit bonfires in honor of the dead, to aid them on their journey, and to keep them away from the living. On that day all manner of beings were abroad: ghosts, fairies, and demons--all part of the dark and dread.

During this festival, you would offer trinkets and food to the deceased. To pay reverence to them, after all, they are your family and loved ones. If you treated a family member in an "ill and neglected" way while they were living, you were played tricks upon. If you were "good and loving" to your family members, they would bless your heart desires, a new loved one, a good harvest, a healthy baby.

The Druids of Old Gaul would use turnips for lanterns, to light their way, to the Festival. Only when the tradition of this holiday came to the United States, they used pumpkins for their Jack'o Lanterns, as pumpkins were a harvest gourd that was very readily available.

On this night, they would bring the cattle and the crops in for the winter and slaughter the animals for meat and fur for the up coming winter. When the world, itself, who has been living and nourishing all spring and summer, begins to die into the cold dark nights of Winter.

Today's Samhain has lost its name to the "All Hollows Eve" or "Hallo'ween" as it is called now. Christianity has swept into the World of the Old and bought us into the Life of the New. This is a shame in my opinion. I would prefer the old ways to the new ones. Today's society doesn't think about the deceased loved ones in the Ways of the Old. Both life and death were honored as a celebration. Over time, it is just lost in our memories but never far from our hearts.

http://lapoetisaoscura.weebly.com/holidays.html

I rarely have anything to be annoyed about so don't post on this thread much but: F...Netflix!

I canceled my subscription 3 months ago. Today my wife looks over the credit card statement and sees Netflix is still charging us and charging us more than before and the charge is from Netflix Netherlands???

I'm in the USA and the billing statement always said Netflix in California. So my wife calls a help number to Netflix and after being given a runaway they tell her someone hacked our account. B.S! I tried to log into my old Netflix account with our email and it said no such account existed. So much for someone hacking our Netflix account in the Netherlands. Oh and the charges from there started as soon as I had cancelled our Netflix plan.

So now my wife had to file a credit card fraud complaint so our card is cancelled and a new one is in the mail. This took all morning thanks to Netflix screwing us over.

⬆️ This does sound like a real pain in the ass. So will Netflix refund the charges?

Could not believe my eyes just now. Saw my first fully-decorated Xmas tree of the season. And it’s not even Thanksgiving yet.