ROONEY MARA, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
31.82%
7 votes
MERYL STREEP, The Iron Lady
9.09%
2 votes
MICHELLE WILLIAM, My Week with Marilyn
22 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The Academy has whittled down the Best Actress pool to these five ladies. Thoughts, snubs, surprises?

Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis, The Help
Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Close.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	7947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Davis.jpg
Views:	1732
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	7948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mara.jpg
Views:	1917
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	7949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streep.jpg
Views:	1607
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	7950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Williams.jpg
Views:	1811
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	7951  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not sure Michelle Williams is "long overdue" but she's certainly talented. Can't wait to see the movie, it sounds really terrific. Not sure I'm gonna love seeing Branagh as Sir Laurence Olivier, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

No, I think this is a coin flip between an epic performance from Close and a powerhouse performance from Viola Davis. If it was only my vote that counted it would be Davis in a heartbeat. The look she gets on her face when she's trying to get on the colored bus while talking to a white lady was utterly haunting and true to the core. It was acting like that that got Anthony Hopkins nominated for Howard's End and then Remains of the Day the very next year. Just devastating acting.

Perhaps she hasn't paid enough dues though to edge out Glenn Close who in fact is long overdue for an Oscar. Nominated 5 times in her vast career and often mistaken for Meryl Streep (though "never on Oscar night" as she says). Her performance in Albert Nobbs is both impressive and tragic at the same time because as she's even said in the past: "I never wanted to be a man. I feel sorry for them.". But in Albert Nobbs she does just that and she was so good I did a triple take before I recognized her. Anyway, Holden is far better at picking these than I so I'll let him tell it like it is. That's just my take.

I was hoping Olivia Colman would get a nomination for her outstanding performance in Tyrannosaur but that was quite a long shot for a film without a publicity machine pushing it. I've not really seen any films, Mara was good but not sure about Oscar-worthy, think the fact she put a Swedish accent and other characters didn't threw her performance a bit. I hope Close because as PW says, she's overdue. As long as Streep doesn't win, i'm won't mind

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Michelle Williams was outstanding, as were Glenn Close and Meryl Streep. Viola Davis was phenomenal in The Help too, but I wanna give the edge to Rooney Mara because I was glued to the movie screen longer watching her near-carnal performance than the rest. Not saying the others were below Mara (Viola Davis was powerful beyond compare), but I reacted more from Rooney as Lisbeth Salander.

Plenty of question about that. I'd say Rooney Mara has, by far, the longest odds of those five nominees. Now if you're talking about which performance you personally liked the best, godspeed, but if you want to talk handicapping the race...nope, it is extremely unlikely it'll be the girl from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

I'd say Mara might win so Hollywood can justify the remake.

Tell me it's not just me who finds Albert Nobbs a funny title

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'd like to see Williams take it, but me thinks Oscars are going to go with the old way of things and give it to Streep.

Suspect's Reviews

Michelle Williams is a very good actress. I suppose for some of you who grew up watching her on "Dawson's Creek", that may seem hard to believe? I never watched the show (though I do like that pal Busy Philipps is her usual companion to awards red carpets and shindigs), so I don't have that preconceived notion of her. Simply judging by her output, especially in the last four or five years, she's very impressive. This is her third Oscar nomination, having been in the supporting category for Brokeback Mountain and Best Actress just last year for Blue Valentine. I thought her work in Valentine was stunning, definitely her best yet, but unluckily for her it was the same year as Natalie Portman and Black Swan. This year not only was she good playing an icon in My Week with Marilyn, but she was also strong in Kelly Reichardt's period indie Meek's Cutoff. Cate Blanchett won playing Katharine Hepburn not too long back in Scorsese's The Aviator, so it wouldn't be unheard of for one actress to win an award for playing another more famous actress, but I think the chances of her Marilyn Monroe winning are relatively slim. But she will most definitely be back at the Oscars multiple times over her career.

Rooney Mara was little-known before Fincher cast her as one of the most instantly popular characters in recent years, Lisbeth Salander, aka The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. She had a pivotal role in Fincher's last project, The Social Network, as Mark Zuckerberg's girlfriend in the opening scene who breaks up with him, the sting and humiliation of which ultimately leads to the creation of Facebook. But Lisbeth is a commitment, one that Mara accepted wholeheartedly, for example most of the piercings she has in that film are real (the tats are not). That kind of dedication to the craft is appreciated by her peers. Also, I think most are aware that, like Kubrick before him, David Fincher has a reputation for doing numerous takes, as in fifty or a hundred of a single scene, until he thinks he has it perfect. I think putting that reputation in the context of playing such a raw, damaged, angry character (and one who has to endure two on-screen rapes) pushed her over the top, vote wise, and even though the film itself underperformed a bit at the Oscars (no Best Picture, no Best Director) she made it through. However there is almost zero chance she'll win.

Viola Davis has been around for a while, though until recently she was known best as a stage actress, having won two Tony Awards. You may remember her from guest spots on TV series, like a very good episode of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent". Steven Soderbergh was the first director to start putting her in movies, small roles in his Out of Sight and Traffic, and then a larger role in Solaris. But her real breakout moment came in 2008's Doubt. Her character has one single scene, but it was so powerful, so wonderful, that she earned an Oscar nomination for it. This year she also has a key role in Best Picture nominee Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, but of course most prominently she is at the center of The Help. The movie has been criticized, rightly so I think, for being too much of a fantasy instead of a real look at the changes slowly going on during our country's Civil Rights Movement, but while some of that is valid you cannot deny the power and the absolute truth of Viola Davis' performance as Aibileen Clark. The struggle and the dignity are conveyed wonderfully, even if the movie itself is often too easy. That the movie itself has problems may detract for her getting some votes, but she's a legit contender, and I hope that, win or lose, she gets plenty of other great roles over the coming years and becomes a fixture at the Oscars.

Speaking of fixtures, Meryl Streep should have a seat in the Kodak Theater with her name engraved on a brass plate. This is her SEVENTEENTH Oscar nomination, fourteenth as Best Actress. She broke and passed Kate Hepburn's total of twelve a while back, with no end in sight. Mary Louise Streep has won two of those previous sixteen, but they were back at the beginning of her remarkable career, Supporting Actress for Kramer vs. Kramer (her second ever nomination) and Best Actress for Sophie's Choice (her fourth). Sophie's Choice was made in 1982. That's a long time between wins, even for a living acting legend. So, is she simply "due"? I mean strange to say somebody who is the most honored actress, well, ever, is due, but is she? The utterly awesome satiric newspaper "The Onion" had a great piece a few years back, an OpEd as if it was authored by Meryl Streep herself, and the title was "Name One Masterpiece of Cinema That I've Starred In" (link HERE). Pretty damn funny, but like most things in "The Onion" rooted in some level of truth, or at least a common perception. The last line is a perfect, "Meryl Streep: Great actress, OK movies." And that may, indeed, be part of why she hasn't won in what feels like forever. Not many people will argue whether or not she's amazing, she is. But usually she is the best thing, and sometimes the only really great thing, about the movies she is in.

If The Iron Lady is remembered at all twenty or fifty or a hundred years from now, is it going to be as a great film, or is it going to be that Meryl amazingly transformed herself into Maggie Thatcher? Meryl is sixty-two-years-old, and one of the few women her age allowed to still star in movies in Hollywood. You gotta figure she'll still have more opportunities, maybe in a film that is as good as she is. Or maybe they'll just give her one to get it over with?

Speaking of due, the sixty-four-year-old Glenn Close is nearly as respected as Meryl Streep, though she doesn't have nearly as many Oscar nominations to show for it and, thus far, no actual Oscar. Close has won three Tony Awards, an Obie, Emmy Awards, and a SAG Award, so she's no slouch. But though Albert Nobbs is her sixth nomination, no wins in the previous five. She was nominated in the Supporting Actress category for The World According to Garp, The Big Chill, and The Natural, and as Best Actress in Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons. But that was all in the 1980s. Since then, nothing, Academy Award wise. Albert Nobbs is a true passion project for her. She loved the short story and starred as this character in an off-broadway play way back in 1982! Ever since then, she's been trying to get it adapted into a film. Just shy of thirty years later, TAH-DAH! It was worth the wait. Close is quite amazing as the title character, a woman who has been passing herself for a man for decades in 19th Century Ireland. As odd or gimmicky as that premise may sound, it is treated with such care and sensitivity and humor and emotion that it is extremely relateable, even if the situation seems outlandish or contrived. Could this finally be her turn? If so, it will be for one of her very best performances in a movie she sweated and clawed to get made, so good for her.

If enough of the members actually watch their screeners, I think it's going to be Glenn Close. If not, Viola Davis could well be the one running to the stage.

Attachments

Name:	Williams Monroe.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	8162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Girl Tattoos.jpg
Views:	2095
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	8163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viola Help.jpg
Views:	1702
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	8164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streep Thatcher.jpg
Views:	1629
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	8165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close Nobbs.jpg
Views:	1723
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	8166  

Best Actress snubs? The one heard most commonly was Tilda Swinton, former Oscar winner, in We Need To Talk About Kevin. Those many voices are correct, it was an amazing performance and it's too bad that there wasn't room for it. But I hope the fervor over the diss at least gets people to seek it out. Another former Oscar winner, Charlize Theron, was excellent in Jason Reitman's Young Adult, but unlike the younger Reitman's last two efforts (Juno and Up in the Air) this one didn't seem to resonate with enough people. Too bad. Charlize and Patton Oswalt were both great, and I thought Diablo Cody's script was rather brave, in its way. Oh, well. Elizabeth Olsen definitely got everyone's attention at the center of Martha Marcy May Marlene, and though it didn't translate into an Oscar nom for her, she's on the industry's radar now, for sure. If she turns in another performance of this caliber, she won't miss the cut twice.

There were no other omissions here that seemed particularly egregious to lots of people. Mia Wasikowska, one of my favorite young actresses, was fantastic as Jane Eyre alongside Michael Fassbender, but I guess not enough people saw it? Had Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method gotten more juice, Keira Knightly might have been here. Her performance is over-the-top, by design, but quite compelling, just the same. One of my favorite performances of the year was in a movie truly almost nobody in America saw, Olivia Colman in Paddy Considine's Tyrannosaur. And a couple of great turns in two foreign-language efforts that had no realistic chance at Oscar, Juliette Binoche (Oscar winner) in Abbas Kiarostami's Certified Copy and Elena Anaya in Pedro Almodóvar's The Skin I Live In.

Attachments

Name:	Tilda Kevin.jpg
Views:	1664
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	8167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colman Tyrannosaur.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	8168  

^ Yes, Tilda Switon deserved a nomination, amazing performance - Olivia Colman, it would have been lovely to see her get a nomination also. I'd rather not see Streep get it and see Mara get it, be a nice big shock to the Oscars.

Viola Davis did win the SAG Award tonight, facing three of the four Oscar nominees, the difference being Tilda Swinton at the SAGs where Rooney Mara is on the Oscar ballot. So does this boost Davis' chances for the Oscar? Sure! I mean, it certainly don't hurt any. The Screen Actors Guild has been giving out this prize for the past eighteen years. Of the previous seventeen, twelve have matched up with the Oscar winner. 70% is a decent predictor. And really, one of those years was a little screwy in that Meryl Streep won the SAG as Best Actress for Doubt, while Kate Winslet won Best Actress at the Oscars. The Winslet performance was in the Supporting Actress category at the SAGs (which she won, BTW), so while they didn't get it right in that Streep lost, the Oscar winner wasn't even going against her at the SAGs.

Not counting that category problem sort of throwing off the results, otherwise it is twelve out of sixteen, bumping it up to being correct 75% of the time. The four differences between the awards, other than Winslet, were Julie Christie for Away from Her (Marion Cotillard won the Oscar, for La vie en Rose), Renée Zellweger for Chicago (Nicole Kidman in The Hours for Oscar), Annette Bening for American Beauty (Hilary Swank got the Oscar for Boys Don't Cry), and Jodie Foster for Nell (Jessica Lange the Oscar for Blue Sky). Again, not exactly a rich tradition to draw upon, only eighteen years, but it is what it is.

So, if it was a relatively tight and tough to predict race for Oscar's Best Actress before, I think it got that much tighter, and Viola Davis has the momentum over Glenn Close and Meryl Streep. Still think Michelle Williams and especially Rooney Mara are very much longshots.

Attachments

Name:	Viola SAG speech.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	8214  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm sure that Viola Davis's acceptance speech was sophisticated and elegant. I was so used to her playing "victims" (including those of poverty and racism) that I was blown away in Eat Pray Love where she was the character who seemed the best-adjusted and most-happy with an upper-class NYC life.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Why? Just because she gets nominated a lot?
ok, so maybe yes. I haven't seen the Iron Lady, but is it just me or does she kind of get recognized for performances which are good but not great?

From what I hear, Iron Lady is a bore, so her performance must not have been too "great". Actors and actresses should at least boost up a movie with a good performance. I don't know of anyone who's saying, "Man, I have to watch Iron Lady again!"

maybe it's just me though....