Movies that could have a future cult following.

Tools    

Not necessarily popular movie equals cult movie.I think that Dark Knight is not a cult film.I wouldn't call Avengers a cult film.

Not necessarily popular movie equals cult movie.I think that Dark Knight is not a cult film.I wouldn't call Avengers a cult film.
You should read this, because I don't think you really grasp what the term 'cult film' is all about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cult_films

I can see why Honeykid considers Star Wars to be a cult film, though. Content-wise and fanbase-wise, it has all the signs of being one. The only thing that excludes it from the pure definition of 'cult film' is that it was a major succes when it was first released.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
My post was more in reaction to movies like Twilight and the Hangover movies being thrown into the mix of cult movies. When someone says "cult movies" I have a clear and precise idea of the type of movies they are talking about. If movies like the above mentioned are being included and the definition because too broad it becomes harder and harder to know what someone means when they are referring to a cult movie.

This keeps happening with words and phrases until the meanings become obsolete and then you have to replace them with other words to make communication clear.

So would you guys consider a movie earning the title of a cult film a good thing? Looking at the Wiki list that cobypath posted, there are some real masterpieces in there, but also a lot of sh*tty movies as well.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing.
One thing with Cult Films is that whether or not they're good, at least the decent ones get a loyal fanbase that appreciate them for what they are.

There are decent "big" movies that have little or almost no fanbase at all in the grand scheme of things... and the "big" movies also tend to have a higher percentage rate of pure crap.
I'd say 80% of Blockbusters and big movies are utter tosh...
Cult films are about 50/50, maybe tilting more in favour of the decent one tbh... yet what's funnier is that the crap cult films are more enjoyable than the decent "biggies".

So would you guys consider a movie earning the title of a cult film a good thing? Looking at the Wiki list that cobypath posted, there are some real masterpieces in there, but also a lot of sh*tty movies as well.
Who the hell is Cobypath?

I think it's mainly a 'good thing', because a cult status means that the movie must have some qualities that make it interesting for a certain kind of people (the cult following). Every movie should be judged individually of course. There will be cult films that you'll absolutely love and there will also be some that you really hate/dislike.

I also wanted to point out that the term 'cult films' shouldn't be confused with 'pop culture' (like Gabrielle did). Some films qualify for both terms, but they have entirely different meanings.

Yeah,well wiki says that some critics believe that cult film is dead,so I am not alone in this. :P

After I read this cool thread I decided to bump. I also hear The Love Witch is a film that could gather a cult following even though I haven't seen it.

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

The craziness and brilliance of this film is bound to have a cult following in the future. People seem to either love it or hate it I've seen a lot of people praise this film in the Youtube comment sections so a cult following could be happing right now.

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
I love this Movie, It's defiantly one of the best comedies of all time. It's an excellent hilarious time travel film it's bound to have cult. The sequel was a big let down though.

The Cat in the Hat (2003)

I actually found this Movie to be quite amusing. It has great visuals and Mike Myers is quite funny as The Cat.

The Butterfly Effect (2004)

The craziness and brilliance of this film is bound to have a cult following in the future. People seem to either love it or hate it I've seen a lot of people praise this film in the Youtube comment sections so a cult following could be happing right now.

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
I love this Movie, It's defiantly one of the best comedies of all time. It's an excellent hilarious time travel film it's bound to have cult. The sequel was a big let down though.

The Cat in the Hat (2003)

I actually found this Movie to be quite amusing. It has great visuals and Mike Myers is quite funny as The Cat.

Oh god no! The Cat in The Hat live action is possibly the worst movie I've ever seen!!!!

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Cabin in the Woods

Drag me to Hell

any Rob Zombie movie

Welcome to the human race...
Gotta love how many of the picks from a few years ago actually did seem to achieve cult status or something like it - wonder if the people who picked xXx ever imagined they would give it a sequel 15 years later.

Not sure what I'd pick as far as recent films go. I'd say stuff like Green Room or The Nice Guys or hell maybe even the Ghostbusters reboot.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: This movie is brilliant! It is so funny, and the music is fantastic. If the critics never figured that out, then the fans one day will. It's a cult gem.
Agreed.

Welcome to the human race...
I do have to wonder how much you can count films that effectively come with their own built-in cult status, whether it's because of the source (Deadpool) or the filmmaker (Paterson, The Nice Guys) having pre-existing cult reputations. Their cult status seem easy enough to predict, as opposed to something like Swiss Army Man.

I think it's important to note the difference between films that are cult and films that have a cult following. Cult films normally had a growth of popularity that's made it successful well after the initial release.

Take Harry Potter as an example. Far, far too popular to be considered cult, and ludicrously successful since the first film came out. But does it have a cult following? Yes, very much so. It's mainstream, but it also has that large core group of fanatical and passionate followers.

After I read this cool thread I decided to bump. I also hear The Love Witch is a film that could gather a cult following even though I haven't seen it.
Definitely a good example of a future cult film. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and it has all the characteristics of one. It's worth a watch as well. I liked it a lot myself.

Definitely a good example of a future cult film. I watched it a couple of weeks ago and it has all the characteristics of one. It's worth a watch as well. I liked it a lot myself.
Yes definitely interested in a watch. I almost think it's worth flat out buying it just because how unique the whole concept is. A theater nearby has it in 35mm so maybe I could see it there