The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I too hope Derek Cianfrance gets more love, from everyone else.
Hope your right, The Place Beyond the Pines is actually in my top 30, one of my last cuts. I saw this utube video where an actual bank robber rates heists in movies and PBTP was one of the more realistic ones and The Dark Knight the most ridiculous.

Ballot breakdown

2010: 1
2011: 3
2012: 2
2013: 2
2014: 2
2015: 3
2016: 4
2017: 1
2018: 2
2019: 5

Looking at my list I'm confident that about 8 films will make it but would like to be pleasantly surprised if possible

1. What director do you think will be represented the most?
Denis Villeneuve

2. What year do you think will appear on this list the most?

3. What film do you think will be at #1?
Mad Max: Fury Road
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was my #25. I guess it's sort of a guilty pleasure although I never feel that guilty about movies I enjoy. It's one that's just pure, almost unquantifiable enjoyment and probably should have been higher than #25 but I knew no-one else would vote for it and here is it's small moment.

Hope your right, The Place Beyond the Pines is actually in my top 30, one of my last cuts. I saw this utube video where an actual bank robber rates heists in movies and PBTP was one of the more realistic ones and The Dark Knight the most ridiculous.

Snow angel has been ringtone for the past seven years, for the three different mobile phones that I have owned in that time.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
There are quite a few directors who have made more films than Villeneuve in 2010 - 2020! Whether their films are all better than his is another matter though.
Like who? Especially mainstream. Villeneuve has 6 and a lot of directors work every 2-3 years.

Also its 2010-2019 not 2020.

I looked like crazy for an alternative but I think Villenueve is correct, with Scorsese possibly tying. Seems like there will be a handful with 3.

Parasite wins but Mad Max gives it a run

Some Prominent Directors and Their Eligible Films

Steven Spielberg: The Adventures of Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, The BFG, The Post and Ready Player One
Denis Villenueve: Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049
Martin Scorsese: Hugo, The Wolf of Wall Street, Silence, and The Irishman
Alejandro González Ińárritu: Biutiful, Birdman, and The Revenant
Alfonso Cuarón: Gravity and Roma
Guillermo del Toro: Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak, and The Shape of Water
David Fincher: The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Gone Girl
Quentin Tarantino: Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Wes Anderson: Moonrise Kingdom, The Grand Budapest Hotel, and The Isle of Dogs
Christopher Nolan: Inception, The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, and Dunkirk
Paul Thomas Anderson: The Master, Inherent Vice, and Phantom Thread
David O. Russell: The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and Joy
Alexander Payne: The Descendants, Nebraska, and Downsizing
Noah Baumbach: Greenberg, Frances Ha, While We're Young, Mistress America,The Meyerowitz Stories, and Marriage Story
Richard Linklater: Bernie, Before Midnight, Boyhood, Everybody Wants Some!, Last Flag Flying and Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
Bong Joon Ho: Snowpiercer, Okja, and Parasite
Darren Aronofsky: Black Swan, Noah, and Mother!
Ang Lee: Life of Pi, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, and Gemini Man
Tim Burton: Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, Frankenweenie, Big Eyes, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and Dumbo
The Russo Brothers: Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, The Avengers: Infinity War, and The Avengers: Endgame
Jon Favreau: Iron Man 2, Cowboys & Aliens, Chef, The Jungle Book, and The Lion King
Joel & Ethan Coen: True Grit, Inside Llewyn Davis, Hail, Caesar!, and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Terrence Malick: The Tree of Life, To the Wonder, Knight of Cups, Song to Song, and A Hidden Life
Taika Waititi: Boy, What We Do in the Shadows, The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Thor: Ragnarok, and Jojo Rabbit

Lone wolf nominations?

When someone busts one cap out of 300 to highlight a film they know, or at least expect in advance no one else would ever think the film to be a serious contender, the single point nomination rates highlight.

However when someone else gives the top spot on their list (they’ve thought this film was either the best film (honestly) in the entire category, or at least they wanted to place as high as possible on the official list, yet no one else on the board seems aware the film even exists.

In the comedy countdown I think it was mentioned there were nine films.

I’m curious why are the rooting, tooting, best in show,“Lone wolf nominations” are never mentioned?

Here are some more questions:

1) What films do you think will be at #100 and #99?

2) What genre do you think will be represented the most?

3) What foreign country do you think will be represented the most?

Here are some more questions:

1) What films do you think will be at #100 and #99?

2) What genre do you think will be represented the most?

3) What foreign country do you think will be represented the most?
1 The Rider and Lean on Pete
2 Drama
3 South Korea

Hm, Holden's list really helps with the top director guess. I think it could be one of the following: Villenueve, PTA, Nolan, or Bong Joon Ho. Maybe Scorsese. Yeah my prediction is a five way tie with three movies each.

I think one of the early years will get the most votes.

And Mad Max: Fury Road takes #1.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."