Why cant movies get it right with Video Games

Tools    

For any Movie lover and gamer you know games like Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, RDR <<< hell I think it is better than Django at telling a story. So why does the movie industry make them look like utter crap!

Is there a reason why games and movies do not work together? I do not get it because games are telling just as good if not at times better stories than movies

Mainly down to the medium...

Videogame stories unfold and evolve over time.

I mean, 'a' videogame takes days, or even months to get through... contains more than a few hours of gameplay...

A movie has to squeeze all that gameplay, and the storyline that took a month to go through, into 90 minutes, two hours at most.

Another problem is Directors... Uwe Boll, Paul WS Anderson... these guys have absolutely no idea what they're doing with any movie, let alone converting one media into another.

Silent Hill though is probably the best of the crop. Ignore the sequel though.

That is a fair point game stories like mass effect take over 16 hours if you rush through it without the sidequest. I think if they get a great director and made it into a Lord of the Rings length of movie.

Better fitted for a TV series IMO but still how bad they screw them up it is pathetic.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I would love, at some point, to see a Mass Effect movie. I am worried they would screw it up though. If they smash it into a Hobbit length movie and make it a series of 2 or 3 of that length then maybe they can get it all in there. That actually would be really great!

I was about to say that actually... videogame turned TV series would work...

Take maybe Zelda for instance, base it on the SNES version, and make it a 20 part series, an hour for each part...

But squeezing Zelda into a 90 minute feature would just be fruitless.

Zelda took me 12 months to complete when it first came out.

The transfer from video game to movie is one problem, but respect (or lack there of) for the medium is another issue. There should be no issue making a Doom movie. It is a film that would be very easy to adapt but they still found a way to f**k it up. Hollywood stupidity struck again.

Yeah, lack of respect from the filmmakers...

I'd like to see Duke Nukem...

Problem is, it'd end up as a PG rated actioner with some eye candy actor like Pattinson as Duke...

Another I'd like to see is Area 51...

The production value of the game was immense... they even had David Duchovny, Powers Booth and Marilyn Manson as voice artists...

The film would probably end up with a tone like the first AvP film...

You know what would be sick if done right would be actually be GTA V. massive heist like Oceans 11, 3 different characters, corrupt FBI agents, private military, comedy. If done right could be a great crime movie.

They fry it though. I also like your Duke Nukem idea love the game but again Hollywood would more than likely **** it up as well

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I would like to see Resident Evil but real RS not this crap they are making now,I mean story of first 4 games is great,full of mystery and thriller but yea let's ignore that,let's make our story that has nothing to do with RS,let's make some crappy characters...As you guys said its all about respect for the game and how good director is,I think good directors never made video game-movie adaptation,I mean big names never tend to do that,maybe its to big risk,I hope they will start making good adaptations one day.

Resident Evil is being rebooted anyway soon.

Paul WS Anderson is making one more with Jovovich then the studios will be rebooting the franchise in 2017.

I kinda enjoy the Anderson films. They are crap to be sure, but they sort of hit a button with me.
Maybe because of Jovovich... been a fan of hers since forever.

I guess it's tricky to condense a video game story or series into a relatively much shorter running time while including enough references/characters and recapturing the tone/atmosphere enough to please fans while also making the film at least somewhat accessible to all the non-geek viewers who aren't familiar with the source material.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, lack of respect from the filmmakers...

I'd like to see Duke Nukem...

Problem is, it'd end up as a PG rated actioner with some eye candy actor like Pattinson as Duke...
Duke Nukem is alternately one of the best and worst possible properties to adapt into a movie. Muscular guys fight aliens in movies all the time and the franchise's whole "exaggerated parody of action movie heroes" gimmick seems like it'd be a welcome change from all the bland serious action heroes you get everywhere. Then again, that humour might not be considered all that clever these days (Action movie heroes are actually kind of silly? Shock horror.), to say nothing of the Duke Nukem franchise being considered a joke after the whole Duke Nukem Forever fiasco. Also, it's obvious they'd never cast Robert Pattinson as Duke - instead it'd probably be any of those generic muscular white guys that always appear in action movies but all kind of blur together. I wouldn't put them past casting Mark Wahlberg or Channing Tatum as Duke.

movie appeals to a larger audience therefore that movie writers will have to condense ,minimize and eliminate crucial elements of the game to appeal to this audience .

with this and other factors , you know the result

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I would like to see Resident Evil but real RS not this crap they are making now,I mean story of first 4 games is great,full of mystery and thriller but yea let's ignore that,let's make our story that has nothing to do with RS,let's make some crappy characters..

I've never seen the RE movies but it seems to me that a spinoff is the only way to make a video game movie that's even halfway decent. As Rodent said there's no way you can cram the entire story of a video game into a two hour movie so taking the general concept of the game and letting the movie tell it's own story seems like the only way to go. Otherwise you end up with something like The Last Airbender where half the story is told via exposition or in Deathly Hallows territory where people not familiar with the source material need cliffnotes to understand what happening.*

I know those movies aren't based on video games but I could think of more accurate examples.

Well a lot of times they can not get it right with the book so why would they want to get it right with the game? Just saying.

Video game adaptations should be mini-series, not films, so as to be rid of time constraints, and should be written by writers who are actual fans of the video game, familiar with the inner workings, and directed by someone without disregard for their audience (see Resident Evil). It's really not that hard. If I wrote a script for Ocarina of Time, someone else can get Resident Evil right. Too bad the reboot looks like ass

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Video game adaptations should be mini-series, not films, so as to be rid of time constraints, and should be written by writers who are actual fans of the video game, familiar with the inner workings, and directed by someone without disregard for their audience (see Resident Evil). It's really not that hard. If I wrote a script for Ocarina of Time, someone else can get Resident Evil right. Too bad the reboot looks like ass
If you base your Ocarina of Time script on a speedrun of the game, the movie could be less than a half hour.

If you base your Ocarina of Time script on a speedrun of the game, the movie could be less than a half hour.
That takes all the music out of it! And with that kind of pacing, Ocarina of Time would just be a long dream sequence, then he'd just wake up in Majora's arms, in the bed they share, kiss him on the eye, and die as the moon crushes them.