No Man's Sky

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thoughts?

It still hasn't gotten on sale cheaply enough for me to want to try it, but it's getting close. If this represents a genuine step forward, and it gets < $20...
It's slowly getting to the state that it should have been first released in, but I find the core game so horrendously dull that I doubt I'll check the update out.

I played around with the last big update but half an hour was all it took to convince me that the game, at its core, is just not very good.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Thoughts?

It still hasn't gotten on sale cheaply enough for me to want to try it, but it's getting close. If this represents a genuine step forward, and it gets < $20...
Hmm, hard to tell from a distance. The story expansion interests me the least, but probably because it was so famously absent initially that I never bothered pursuing the strands.

Intrigued to see if their proc gen missions system is any good. (It's something Elite struggles mightily with to 'storyify'. Looks like they've got the similar bones of fetch quest flavours and the like in):

I found the previous land-based missions a solid addition though, if clearly very rote, so could see this adding more colour and form.

Essentially I think your assessment is on the money. If it goes sub $20 get on it, there's definitely a game there (all be it one with Walking Sim aspects, or at best Jump Pack Sim ).

I prob won't trial due to VR distractions, but if the buzz is good and I swing by I'll write up some impressions here

---

*EDIT*

I'm just going through this, and there are def some fun additions for the hardcore, and general tweaks that should make for a better first-time experience.

This 'co-op' stuff will have some of them spinning in their subterranean caves... (Its absence was the classic super-seed at the heart of the sh*tstorm. The 'big lie' )

Liking this touch too. If I wasn't already at my base limit this could see me getting creative

The improved flight stuff sounds nice re manoeuvrability and low-flight combat (although I'll believe it if I see it), and classic inter-system trade, and dialable portals for specific planetary returns etc. Add in the giant ship ownership stuff, and yeah it's all neat, and has a more obvious gameplay structure and progression in there.

Thanks the PS4's Rest Mode!

Just switched mine on or, more to the point, un-rested it and found that NMS had dumped a 7GB update on my machine early this morning. I might actually check it out...

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The internet sez, just get Elite instead.

This bit of the internet says: Get both and enjoy the good bits in both . Then spend double your playtime complaining how both could be better

It's good to see them feeling safe to sneak back onto social media

They were always playful prior to the deranged death threats...

Although I may have to send menacing missives of my own. This shift to 3rd person is not suggestive of a team about to give me free unannounced VR support

Well that is a pretty sweet free update.

Nice mix of doubling-down on existing tech and adding new features.

(Liking little unflagged stuff like wind impacts when jetpacking etc)

Well, they put it on sale for $29.99 in the midst of all this positive press. Smart. I'm sure it'll be cheaper, but the odds are pretty high I'll want to play it before it gets much lower than that, so I went for it.

Spent a few hours with it last night.

Things certainly seem more coherent, and it looks a lot better but the flying around is just as Fisher Price as it was at launch, and that's what turned me off the game more than even the survival/crafting grind. I'll stick with it though, and might even buy it for PC now it's on sale.

Spent a few hours with it last night.

Things certainly seem more coherent, and it looks a lot better but the flying around is just as Fisher Price as it was at launch, and that's what turned me off the game more than even the survival/crafting grind. I'll stick with it though, and might even buy it for PC now it's on sale.
Yeah Fisher Price is a grand description of the flight model . Probably more suited to the 3rd-person mode they've added. Did you try any low flying over planets? They claim to have finally sorted that out at least.

Hmm, it's on GreenManGaming for 55% off with the code NEXT10 if Aus or anyone is still eyeing it. (That's £18 UK). Not bad.

Hmm, it's on GreenManGaming for 55% off with the code NEXT10 if Aus or anyone is still eyeing it. (That's £18 UK). Not bad.
Bought it on Steam. GMG were showing no codes left for me. Planetary flight is a lot better, not fantastic but playable, and that tipped the scales for a PC purchase.

The entire download is 7.9GB on Steam, but the PS4 update was 10GB yesterday.

NMS on a decent PC compared to a PS4 Pro? Night and effing day.

Performance on the Pro isn't great, not helped by it forcing 4k on you, and I'm interested to see how it runs on the more powerful XboneXXX.

EDIT - Still don't know why I bought it on console to begin with.

EDIT - Still don't know why I bought it on console to begin with.
I never understood why you did that either . Other than sofa game. It's definitely a sofa game.

I remember pre-ordering it and quite possibly didn't realise that it was even getting a PC release, given the amount of press there was about Sony publishing the game.

Oh well, I got an extra ship (with a whole two extra slots) and a non-dynamic theme.