Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
That’s a shame...

I saw 2001 as part of my cinematic journey when I tried to watch all the “big ones” to learn as much as possible. I gave it a 6/10 I think, moslty because it was pretty and a classic in others eyes. I could see the influence also and such. But not really for me.

Then I saw it again some time later and quite liked it. A 7-8/10 or something. Then some years later, I watched it yet again and awarded it the big 10/10.

Hmm. Maybe my expectations were to high? Just as you I watched 2001 as a classic movie and assumed my rating rather wouldn't be hailed by other people.
I also understand, why it is classic. I guess, if I had seen it in 1968 I probably would have been fascinated, as there are great "space" scenes. Also the conflict with artificial intelligence is something, what scares most of people, then and now. Anyway, I watched it this year, so it didn't make as huge impression as it would had done in 50 yeras ago.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Visually very beautiful, but its 107 minutes seemed twice as long. Took me 2 days to finish it as I kept falling asleep. I own it so was determined to finish it.
Ha The same happened to me. I wasn't able not to fall asleep.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Goodbye Girl - 6/10
Initially a good story, some good writing at times, but after the conflict, it kinda went downhill for me. I didn't like the acting, either.

Beautiful Boy (2018)

Despite my rating I wouldn't call this a great movie, but that doesn't always matter when it is so affecting. I lost someone very close to me to drug addiction and I was unable to help. Watching this movie was often very hurtful and it brought me to tears. I usually root for the sad ending but that wasn't the case here. Good job by the whole cast.

The Disaster Artist

Both funny and touching.

Weird is relative.
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Ok, so I've always liked Queen's recordings and I've read Freddie Mercury's bio on Wikipedia (like, I looked it up years ago) but I didn't know much about the band aside from that.

So is it a crime if I liked this movie? To me it's about the band's journey and little snapshots about Freddie's life along the way. This wasn't supposed to focus entirely on his private life and relationships or his later illness, instead it's the high points and a few of the low points. Basically, a sanitized version for mass consumption that you can bring the kids and grandma to watch.

I admire Mercury and I have a semi-personal connection to him in a way that I can't explain on a public forum, so yes, it would be nice to see a gritty biopic someday. If Rami Malek played him again as well, I'd be all for it.

For now, this film has just inspired me to play their music again and look for old concert footage.

Spaceship (Alex Taylor, 2016)

Not quite out of this world

The Nickel Ride (1974) by Robert Mulligan

Cold War (2018) by Pawel Pawlikowski

+

Isle of Dogs (2018) by Wes Anderson

Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017) by Hiromasa Yonebayashi

Voyage of Time: Life's Journey (2016) by Terrence Malick

The Image Book (2018) by Jean-Luc Godard

Mauvais Sang (1986) by Leos Carax

Welcome to the human race...
The First Purge -

as far as 2018 releases that tackle racism and class warfare with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer go, this is arguably superior to Green Book

"Crazy" Joe Devola films his memoirs. I enjoy slasher films so, yeah, it was all right.

This was surprisingly very good. Thought the ending was a little messy but everything up to that was good.

aka Get Down and Boogie. Whoa, this was strange. Serena, a trike riding biker babe, is looking for her kidnapped mom. Her search leads to her uncovering a plot by the local fast food magnate (Col. Sanders look alike) who has created a cloning machine. His goal: clone African Americans to do whatever he wants them to, chief among them vote and support his racist views. That's the main story line but all kinds of crazy is interspersed. It's slapstick that peddles in stereotypes, which is fine but it doesn't always hit the right notes - except when they break out in song and dance numbers for no apparent reason. The singing is good. Dancing - not so much The recently deceased Dick Miller has a bit role as a goofy cop and Otis Day co-stars as the infectious V.D.

The Dead Zone 1983

Christopher Walken!
Wow - 1983, that was a long time ago. I enjoyed the Dead Zone (film) and picked up the book soon after. Both the book and movie complemented each other and Walker was a great choice for the lead. I'm due to re-read that book again then see the movie.

I am embarrassed to say that I cannot recall the last film I say. It's all Netflix series now. Times have changed.

Miller's Crossing -

The old man's still an artist with the Thompson.
Dandy film.

The Hate U Give 2018

Powerful and touching drama. I'm considering best picture, best actress Amandla Stenberg and best supporting actor Russell Hornsby nominations for The MoFo Film Awards.