Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

4th Rewatch...I'm still a little spooked that I was in the middle of watching this movie when I heard about Ryan O'Neal's death. Peter Bogdanovich was in the director's chair for this sweet and nostalgic comedy about a con man named Moses Prey (O'Neal), who finds himself teaming up with a little girl who might be his daughter (Tatum O'Neal) in a series of con games that eventually get them both in a lot of trouble. Tatum O'Neal's film debut as Addie Prey made her the youngest Oscar winner in history for Best Supporting Actress, though her role is clearly the lead. Her dad is solid though and Madeline Kahn's hysterical turn as good time gal Trixie Delight earned her a Best Supporting Actress nomination as well. The movie features exquisite black and white cinematography and the period appropriate song score is a delight.

Umpteenth Rewatch....As I found myself sucked into this classic once again, I found myself drawn to a couple of specific things. First was the dazzling performance by Jean Hagen as the deliciously evil and dumb as a box of rocks Lina Lamont that earned her one of the film's two Oscar nominations (robbed of a Best Picture nomination IMO). I also find myself riveted to the dancing styles of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. Every time I watch "Fit as a Fiddle" and "Moses", I can't help noticing a distinct difference between the way the two men danced. Kelly always seems very concentrated on the steps and always appears to be counting, you can practically see his lips mouthing the counts. O'Connor, on the other hand, always looks like he' making up the steps as he goes along, I never see him counting, I just see him dancing, I love that. I love after the "Broadway Rhythm Ballet" when the producers tells Don he can't quite picture it.

OG Wall Street

Enjoyed watching the movie. A real classic with great acting by Charlie Sheen and Michael Douglas. Having Sheen Sr. playing the dad was a nice touch. More emphasis on closure would have made the movie better, like a short text at the end about what happened to the lives of GG Fox and Darien. Could've been better than just "The End"

I forgot the opening line.

By It is believed that the cover art can or could be obtained from the publisher or studio., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=31121659

Lion of the Desert - (1980)

The French had Algeria, and the Italians had Libya - they'd been trying to establish themselves since 1911, and we pick up in 1929. Mussolini (Rod Steiger) is in a rage, his troops continually bested by a rebellion led by the "Lion of the Desert" Omar al-Mukhtar (Anthony Quinn) - so the Italian dictator sends General Rodolfo Graziani (Oliver Reed), nicknamed "The Butcher", to establish order once and for all. No expense was spared for this forgotten epic - included are a wealth of authentic military vehicles, hundreds of extras, and real sweeping vistas from location filming in Libya. I'd never heard of this - despite it's sterling reputation. 8.2/10 on the IMDb. Bigger than Heaven's Gate or Raise the Titanic, it failed miserably at the box office, even after the rave reviews came in. Watching it last night, I couldn't help be impressed despite the fact it wasn't a great transfer. Sure, Oliver Reed does look drunk in every scene he's in, but Anthony Quinn picks up the slack marvelously as al-Mukhtar. Best of all are the set-pieces - battles that give the impression you've travelled back in time and are watching for real. Moustapha Akkad I recognized as the producer of the Halloween films - he'd only directed another Middle Eastern historical epic The Message, in 1976. The failure of Lion of the Desert led to him sticking to producing. This epic shouldn't have failed though - it's not the greatest, but it's not bad by any means. It shines a light on a conflict most people have never heard about, and a historical figure that deserves wider recognition. I'm keeping my eye out for a copy of the Blu-Ray that doesn't cost a fortune. If I see a better copy, my rating might go up, and up.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

#3 on The 10 Most Underrated Horror Movies Recommended by Mike Flanagan list. (This is from a Collider article)

Possum - Directed by Matthew Holness, the film opens with Phillip Connell (Sean Harris) apparently released from some kind of institution. He returns to his childhood home where his creepy, malignant father or stepfather (?) Maurice (Alun Armstrong) is still living. Holness refuses to be the "tour guide" type of director. Holding the audience's hand and leading them around while explaining every development and detail. He tells the story and if you can't keep up or get lost or lose interest then it's on you. The crux of the story being that Phillip underwent some sort of childhood trauma involving his mother (or parents). They're never seen or mentioned outside of a mysterious closed door in their decrepit home that Phillip refuses to open. On the train ride home he does take notice of some schoolboys and attempts to talk to one of them. The same boy is later reported to be missing in the area with the local constabulary investigating his disappearance.

All this murk is meant to keep you off balance and it does. Throughout the film Phillip carries around this valise in which he keeps a puppet of sorts. But a simple creepy manikin wouldn't be enough. No. It's an enormous, hairy, spider looking effigy with a human face. It's supposed to be some sort of coping mechanism Phillip came up with to help him process what he was going through. Yikes. This reminded me so much of a 2002 David Cronenberg film called Spider that I figured it must surely be where Holness got at least part of his inspiration. I'm still not sure. The movie itself stands or topples on the strength of Sean Harris' performance and it ultimately works because of his tortured and wretched protagonist. Kudoes to Armstrong as well for conveying so much menace and dissolution in just a few fleeting scenes.

You never know what's what until the very end and even then it's nowhere close to being what any rational person would consider a happy ending. More of a slackening of an inexorable and dangerous pressure.

75/100

Possum - Directed by Matthew Holness, the film opens with Phillip Connell (Sean Harris) apparently released from some kind of institution. He returns to his childhood home where his creepy, malignant father or stepfather (?) Maurice (Alun Armstrong) is still living.

You never know what's what until the very end and even then it's nowhere close to being what any rational person would consider a happy ending. More of a slackening of an inexorable and dangerous pressure.
After watching Possum, I later was reading an article about
WARNING: spoilers below
adult men accusing someone (I genuinely can't remember if it was Michael Jackson related or Brian Singer related) of sexually abusing them when they were children.

One of the things that was mentioned in the article was the way that people who have been abused can grow up to have "markers" or behaviors that make them seem untrustworthy: drug addictions, asocial personalities, lying, etc.

Anyway, it made me think about Possum, and about how the character played by Harris looks from the outside exactly like the stereotype of a child molester: pale, awkward, child entertainer, off energy, etc.

I think it's a really powerful take on how trauma can linger in someone's life. And like you say, there can't be anything like a happy ending, just relief.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

The Boy and the Heron (2023)

So, the legendary Hayao Miyazaki's done it again. I've always said that Miyazaki's never made a bad film, and The Boy and the Heron keeps up the filmmaker's winning streak that began with The Castle of Cagliostro in 1979. As someone who discovered Miyazaki's canon in 2017—some years after his most recent "retirement"—I can't help but feel fortunate to have gotten the chance to see a brand new Miyazaki film and have that experience inside of a theater—and, by extension, experiencing the hype train in the years leading up to this point of being excited that, "Yes, there's a new Miyazaki film on the way!" And what a Miyazaki film it is—for my money, it's his best film since Howl's Moving Castle. If anyone knows how to craft a compelling story, it's Miyazaki, and The Boy and the Heron is no exception. The story is somewhat semi-autobiographical, having been partially based on Miyazaki's own experiences, and this is felt throughout the film, which often carries an elegiac tone. It's a complex and engrossing story where you don't dare turn your brain off for a second as Miyazaki reveals backstories in manageable chunks throughout the film, and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get everything on the first viewing, but as Miyazaki films tend to, I have a feeling it will prove to reward repeated viewings once it arrives on Blu-ray and/or UHD next year. In true Miyazaki fashion, the animation is stunning, and I have to wonder how much this was enhanced by the film apparently being rendered in Dolby Vision, as evidenced by the Dolby Vision and Atmos tag that appears as the final credits roll. Joe Hisaishi's musical score is different from his previous scores but is haunting and matches the story the film tells. NYAV Post has delivered yet another excellent English dub, directed by voice acting legend Michael Sinterniklaas and featuring a collection of live-action stars, some up-and-coming—in some cases, I missed their live-action work—and some veterans—some of whom have dubbed previous Miyazaki films, but all perfectly cast. Luca Padovan is excellent as Mahito Maki, a boy grappling with grief after losing his mother in a fire. Robert Pattinson is rock-solid as the titular grey heron, perfecting a "crusty" voice very, very far removed from his natural voice. Christian Bale also does some great work here—in his second Miyazaki film after his turn as Howl—as Shoichi (interestingly, voiced in Japanese by Takuya Kimura, who also voiced Howl), Mahito's father who owns an air munitions factory. Gemma Chan also impresses as Natsuko, Mahito's stepmother. Karen Fukuhara nails it as Himi, a girl with fire powers who may be connected to Mahito's past. Florence Pugh is also excellent as Kiriko, a mariner. In his third Miyazaki film, Mark Hamill gets to flex his voice acting muscles as the tower master, who takes on an unexpected role as the film progresses and is quite different from his turns as the Mayor of Pejite in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Muska in Castle in the Sky. Willem Dafoe wrings the most out of the briefest of screen time as the "noble pelican." The rest of the cast—it's cool to see voice acting veterans Barbara Goodson and Melora Harte still getting cast in new dubs—is also up to par, and the dub script written by Stephanie Sheh is completely natural. Overall, I think The Boy and the Heron is incredible. Like the best Miyazaki films, it is engrossing, poignant, and emotionally satisfying. Miyazaki's once again proven why he's one of the best, I eagerly await the film's arrival on Blu-ray and/or UHD, and since he plans on making more films, I can hardly wait to see what the master animator comes up with next.

After watching Possum, I later was reading an article about
adult men accusing someone (I genuinely can't remember if it was Michael Jackson related or Brian Singer related) of sexually abusing them when they were children.

One of the things that was mentioned in the article was the way that people who have been abused can grow up to have "markers" or behaviors that make them seem untrustworthy: drug addictions, asocial personalities, lying, etc.

Anyway, it made me think about Possum, and about how the character played by Harris looks from the outside exactly like the stereotype of a child molester: pale, awkward, child entertainer, off energy, etc.

I think it's a really powerful take on how trauma can linger in someone's life. And like you say, there can't be anything like a happy ending, just relief.
Holness sets it up so that you never really know if Phillip went away because he actually was guilty of the previous disappearances. After the credits started rolling I couldn't help but wonder how it would play out. He let's the kid out of the trunk who quickly runs away. He'll eventually lead the cops back and there sits Phillip with his recently dead "uncle". Maurice wore a mask so will the kid be able to clear up who actually kidnapped him? Will the teacher at the school that Phillip claimed knew the truth of what happened when he was a child be able to help? Or was that all in his head?

Nope. Not a happy ending.

I forgot the opening line.

https://i.postimg.cc/DzmnrsBP/too-late-the-hero.webp

Too Late the Hero - (1970)

Far too late, but over the last couple of nights I've found a couple of really good war films that would have made great 1-pointers on my War Countdown ballot. First Lion of the Desert and now Robert Aldrich film Too Late the Hero, which deserves checking out for anyone interested. Another box office bomb, this one came about after a request from ABC Pictures for Aldrich to do another film in the same spirit as The Dirty Dozen. This is about an English patrol (with one Japanese-speaking American on board) on an island half occupied by the British and half by the Japanese. The patrol is to make their way through a jungle studded with minefields to the Japanese base in the north, destroy their radio equipment and radio false broadcasts to the Japanese mainland. Anything that can go wrong, does go wrong - but what really impressed me was how much we get to see the failings, uncertainty, fear and despair from all the soldiers - which cast-wise includes Michael Caine, Cliff Robertson, Denholm Elliott and Ronald Fraser. Ill-prepared, the troops end up with a few dead already when they happen across a Japanese patrol - even though the Japanese don't fire a shot. Wounded comrades are to be left behind (in other words, left for dead) and the whole plan isn't all that sound. On the way back, those left alive stumble across a hidden airfield, and as such the enemy is determined to stop them returning to their base to communicate this fact. Caine gives a fantastic performance - he's a real standout for me, and the film itself holds up really well. It doesn't romanticize war, and isn't like an adventure film - instead illustrating how ill-preparedness and uncertainty is deadly in situations such as this. Heroics boil down to doing something, anything for the benefit of anyone other than yourself. I liked it.

7/10

The Creator - (2023)

I wasn't expecting it to be so emocional, but I enjoyed very much.

1st Rewatch...even with veteran Nancy Meyers as the brainchild, this comedy never quite gels as complete movie experience. Robert DeNiro plays a 70 year old widower who gets hired as an intern at an internet fashion empire run by a woman named Jules Ostin (Anne Hathaway). i just don't buy the premise that an internet company would hire a 70 year old intern and I never buy the relationship that develops between DeNiro and Hathaway. There is one very funny scene where DeNiro and three other interns break into Jules' mother's house to delete an email she sent accidentally, but other than that, this is a very long and labored jurney.

The Good Nurse (2022)

Based on a true story, this movie certainly makes for an uncomfortably terrifying watch. However, it is pretty ordinary, and I still can't tell if Eddie Redmayne is acting or just being a slightly different version of himself in all of the movies I've seen him in.
I loved this movie.

Terrific movie.

Good movie. Interesting true-story storyline. Nobody in the movie is a professional actor except Binoche. The woman she interacts with the most is exceptionally believable.

1st Rewatch...John Cassavetes and Gene Rowlands created their masterpiece with this heartbreaking drama about a housewife and mother in denial about her mental health issues. The scene where Myrtle serves dinner to her husband's co-workers and the scene where she's standing in the middle of traffic waiting for her children's school bus are among the most cringe-worthy thing I have ever seen in a movie. Rowlands was robbed of an Oscar for this film, though she did win a Golden Globe. Not an easy watch, but if you've got the stomach for it.

5th Rewatch...This movie still holds up pretty well for a movie over 40 years old. It's actually about 2/3 of a really great movie, but it's still watchable, thanks primarily to a brilliant performance by Lily Tomlin as Violet Newstead, one of a trio of secretaries who plot revenge on their boss. Dabney Coleman created the ultimate comic villain in the slimy Franklin Hart and Dolly Parton makes a delightful film debut as Doralee Rhodes.

6th Rewatch...This is the comic book action movie that started it all and it still holds up remarkably well. It takes a little too long with exposition, the scenes on Krypton and in Smallville go on a little longer than necessary but once the movie gets to Metropolis, it hits and stays on a bullseye. The late Christopher Reeve became an official movie star with his performance in the title role, though if the truth be told, his clumsy and socially awkward Clark Kent is the most endearing part of his performance and Gene Hackman is absolutely flawless as Lex Luthor. Director Richard Donner has a solid hand over the action scenes...I still have trouble watching the scene where Lois Lane's car gets buried in the dirt and rocks.