Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.

By Illustrator unknown. "Copyright 1953 Paramount Pictures Corporation, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=88111742

The War of the Worlds - 1953

This is still one hell of a lot of fun to watch. Here's what I said on Letterboxd after seeing the film again yesterday - "One of the best of that golden age of science fiction. The strings might be visible, in our high definition big screen era, but what's also visible is the effort and care in transposing the classic H. G. Wells story to the screen. Technicolor aliens invade a bright, Technicolor world, desecrating a perfect, post-war 1950s period - George Pal and Paramount showing the world how visionary the genre could be if art and production design were imaginatively utilized. Great music from Leith Stevens, sound (Loren L. Ryder), editing (Everett Douglas) and Oscar-winning effects. Gene Barry and Ann Robinson would have cameos in the Spielberg remake. Even Mr. Magic couldn't outdo the original though."

8/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Entertainment One., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49024042

Eye in the Sky - (2015)

This is probably one of the best films about modern "warfare" out there. Remotely controlled drones in Kenya are being piloted by Second Lieutenant Steve Watts (Aaron Paul) in Nevada, U.S.A. Looking on and commanding from two different locations in the U.K. are Colonel Katherine Powell (Helen Mirren) and Lieutenant General Frank Benson (Alan Rickman - in one of his last theatrical roles) while in the meantime, on the ground in Kenya is agent Jama Farah (Barkhad Abdi) who is in control of ingenious little flying spy devices. Throughout the film these people, among others in other places, debate firing a missile on a house with three prime targets and two 'soon-to-be-activated' suicide bombers. The collateral damage - which includes a little girl - makes the situation highly charged. It highlights the changed nature of war, with politicians playing a more active role in battlefield decisions, and it also asks us the questions about our complicity in the death of civilians - what is acceptable if you're trying to stop suicide bombers killing people. Very tense, exciting and thought-provoking this.

7/10

By Lionsgate - AwesomeBMovies.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=36791927

The Frozen Ground - (2013)

Robert Hansen (John Cusack) was a real-life serial killer in Alaska who would pick up prostitutes, rape them at gunpoint, take them into the wilderness and then hunt them. He ended up killing at least 17 - although estimates go up as high as 41. The Frozen Ground starts with one of the girls that got away - Cindy Paulson (Vanessa Hudgens) whose story of rape and torture is dismissed by police because she was a prostitute (they saw it as a deal gone sour) and because they saw Robert Hansen as a stand up, respectable guy. Later, state trooper Jack Halcombe (Nicolas Cage) is investigating the discovered body of a girl, which he connects to other victims, then Cindy, then Hansen. His investigation is obstructed at every corner by officials who really don't want to indict the man - and it takes brilliant police work to outwit the killer and his defenders. This is an enjoyable movie of it's kind - and only really skims the surface of the case. I have to admit though, that it had me on the edge of my seat at times, with Cusack excellent as the cocky and horrible Alaskan killer.

6/10

By The cover art can or could be obtained from [1], impawards.com or Warner Bros. Pictures., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24853267

Sherlock Holmes - (2009)

There's a big budget movie-factory sheen to Sherlock Holmes that's just ever so slightly off-putting, and I never really liked Robert Downey Jr. in the role. Respect to Guy Ritchie for adding a kind of bisexual element to the character though. I guess I'm just tired of these giant blockbusters - the destructive set-pieces, endless one-liners and emptiness of it all is getting to me. My rating is low - probably too low, but movies like Sherlock Holmes are emblematic of why cinema feels like it's dying in this modern era.

5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT
(2018, McQuarrie)

"You had a terrible choice to make in Berlin: one life over millions. And now the world is at risk."

Mission: Impossible - Fallout has Hunt and his team trying to locate a trio of plutonium cores that were lost in a botched handoff, all because Ethan chose to protect his friends. Because of this, he's tacked on with CIA agent Augustus Walker (Henry Cavill) to make sure that everything runs smoothly. But since this is "mission impossible", things won't necessarily go their way as they are once again put in the path of captured anarchist Solomon Lane (Sean Harris), who might still have a couple of tricks under his sleeve.

This was my second time watching the film, mostly for a guest appearance at a friend's podcast, but I didn't mind it at all. As a matter of fact, I think I enjoyed it and appreciated it more this time around. From the great performances and chemistry of the cast, to the insane action setpieces, it's always a delight to know that even though the world is at risk, Ethan Hunt is out there to make the terrible choices we can't.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Targets (1968)

Hard to know what to say about this movie. This guy isn't your typical gunman gone wild. Very shocking what he does and to see his follies and boyishness. The movie pulls you in two directions with the two stories progressing but then they tie in together near the end. I could imagine how disturbing it was to see this in the 1960s.

7/10

3rd Rewatch...Spike Lee's masterpiece, which, arguably, was robbed of the Oscar for Best Picture of 1989. This ferocious tale of racial tension in a sweaty Brooklyn neighborhood is just as powerful as it was in '89.

Defence of the Realm -

This is a pretty good British political thriller that has the same appeals of the typical '70s movie of its ilk, successfully swapping that era's reasons to keep your doors locked and your windows shuttered with the Cold War and nuclear annihilation paranoia of the '80s. It kicks off with a news report of a disaster that may have been accidental, played over two young protesters infiltrating a remote military base. It then introduces us to journalists Mullen (Byrne) and Bayliss (Elliott), who are investigating a possible connection between an MP and someone on the other side of the Iron Curtain. They along with the MP's secretary (Scacchi) later uncover a connection that is much more worthy of concern.

Byrne's performance as Mullen has a lot to do with him becoming a household name and it's easy to see why. Besides his presence and charisma, he's convincing as an ordinary man in an extraordinary situation and as someone who values the truth above all things. No less impactful is Denholm Elliott as his friend and mentor, who shares a good rapport with Byrne and proves that a lifetime in such an industry runs one ragged. Again, paranoia is the dominant vibe in movies like this one, and besides the strong work of the three leads, directory Drury and company make it last in various and surprising ways, highlights being the voyeuristic shots of Mullen's apartment, the anonymous phone calls and the drivers who may or may not be following him. I also appreciate that the movie does not handle its subject or the powers that put it on everyone's mind at the time with kid gloves. Also, even though our lead is a journalist, I like that its warts and all presentation of the media prioritizes realism over heroism. Despite liking a lot of things about the movie, I wouldn’t call it a classic of the genre or anything. What few visual effects it has have not aged well, and your mileage may vary with the synth soundtrack, which is a tad cheesy at times. It's still worth checking out if you have a modicum of interest in its era or if you're simply in the mood for a good, old fashioned "dad movie."

UNCLE JOSH AT THE MOVING PICTURE SHOW
(1902, Porter)

"Cinema should make you forget you are sitting in a theater."

The above is a quote from director Roman Polanski, regarding the goals of cinema. The theater experience should make you feel like you are *inside* the movie, immersed in what's happening; whether it is the sound and rumble of an incoming train, the sights and feelings of an alien world, or the thrill and adrenaline of jumping from a cliff.

Released in 1902, Uncle Josh at the Moving Picture Show plays with that premise as we follow the titular character (Charles Manley) as he attends a "moving picture show". But as soon as the camera starts rolling, Uncle Josh forgets he's sitting in a theater as he experiences the joy of a can-can dance, the dread of an incoming train, and the jealousy towards a kissing couple which drives him to tear up the screen.

At 2 minutes, there isn't much else to it, but it is still a pretty neat slice of meta before the word was ever invented; a testament to the aspirations and goals of cinema. Maybe not to tear the screen, but hopefully to make us forget that we're sitting in a theater.

Grade: N/A

3rd Rewatch...Spike Lee's masterpiece, which, arguably, was robbed of the Oscar for Best Picture of 1989. This ferocious tale of racial tension in a sweaty Brooklyn neighborhood is just as powerful as it was in '89.
Recently rewatched this after 20+ years and it really blew my mind. It's a masterpiece indeed. It's ironic how the film wasn't even nominated, but the one that won is this "vanilla" interpretation of race relations that nobody talks about anymore.

Sweet Thing, 2020

Billie (Lana Rockwell) and her little brother Nico (Nico Rockwell) live a precarious existence with their alcoholic father Adam (Will Patton). But when Adam heads off to rehab, they end up spending several weeks at a beach house with their absentee mother, Eve (Karyn Parsons) and her unpredictable new boyfriend, Beaux (ML Josepher). They befriend a boy who lives nearby, Malik (Jabari Watkins), but their “vacation” quickly becomes just as volatile as their previous situation.

Firmly rooted in the relationship between the siblings, played by actual siblings, this is a compelling portrait of children with no one to rely on but each other.

Full review
Never heard of this, but now it’s in my watchlist.

Recently rewatched this after 20+ years and it really blew my mind. It's a masterpiece indeed. It's ironic how the film wasn't even nominated, but the one that won is this "vanilla" interpretation of race relations that nobody talks about anymore.
Don't get me wrong...I loved Driving Miss Daisy, but it didn't even come close to being the motion picture experience this was.

I should dig this out & re-watch. Hasn’t stuck in my mind at all & I can’t recollect a single scene. But it’s in my collection somewhere.

The Witcher - 9/10
Secret Invasion - 8/10
Foundation Season 1 - 8/10

Don't get me wrong...I loved Driving Miss Daisy, but it didn't even come close to being the motion picture experience this was.
Exactly. I watched Driving Miss Daisy for the first time in December and it was OK, but Do the Right Thing is essential.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Do the Right Thing is transcendental.
I think we have different definitions of that word.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I think we have different definitions of that word.
You're right, it wasn't the right word. I edited it for something more akin to what I wanted to convey.

Targets (1968)

Hard to know what to say about this movie. This guy isn't your typical gunman gone wild. Very shocking what he does and to see his follies and boyishness. The movie pulls you in two directions with the two stories progressing but then they tie in together near the end. I could imagine how disturbing it was to see this in the 1960s.

7/10
I thought it was a very good picture by Bogdanovich, one of his first films. Evidently the mis-marketing of the picture resulted in poor box office. It was an unusual portrayal by B. Karloff --one of his last roles-- but he was outstanding.

It used as its basic inspiration the country wide shocking mass shooting by Charles Whitman, who in 1966 climbed up into a tower at Univ. of Texas in Austin and started randomly shooting at and killing people below. Sadly today these types of horrible crimes are commonplace, but in 1966 it seems to me that this was the first. And you're right-- nobody could believe it!

But Bogdanovich made the most of what he had, and it really put him on the map.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Psycho-Pass: Providence (2023)

As someone who's been a fan of Psycho-Pass for several years, I was eager to give Providence a watch. It doesn't disappoint, fitting right in with the first two seasons and the first film. Naoyoshi Shiotani certainly hasn't lost his touch after being part of the franchise for over a decade. The story, told via a screenplay penned by Makoto Fukami and Tow Ubukata, is a compelling one, providing plenty of action while the thought-provoking questions Psycho-Pass poses about the human condition, the nature of law and crime, and how ethical a system like the Sibyl System really isthis question an especially timely one that plays into ethical concerns about the use of AI—aren't lost here. As I sat in the dark theater and watched the film with my parents (interestingly, the only other members of the audience), faced with several morally ambiguous characters, I couldn't help recalling what Arkady Renko, portrayed by the late great William Hurt in Gorky Park, calls "the gulf between what is said and what is done." I guess it's fitting since like the Soviet Union seen in Michael Apted's film, the future Japan of Psycho-Pass is a nation where the government isn't all that trustworthy and the official version of events is often merely a façade to cover up that government's misdeeds. As a result, nothing can be taken at face value and, like Renko, the protagonists of Psycho-Pass have to question that government at every other turn out of necessity and as another result, doing what's right oftentimes isn't taken kindly to by the powers that be, lest people discover the brood of vipers they really are. The villains of the piece, a guerrilla movement calling themselves the Peacebreakers, are just as bad as the KGB and the Sibyl System, even going so far as using the word of God to justify their crimes against humanity. Overall, it's about as Psycho-Pass as they come, and apparently, the film's story also provides some context for season three, which should be interesting to see when that season finally gets a dub. The animation is stunning, in true Psycho-Pass fashion, with the action and violence as vivid as ever, though interestingly, despite the film's R rating, and despite having arguably the deadliest villains in the history of the franchise, it has less gore (only one of the franchise's infamous explosions where a baddie's body swells before popping like a balloon in a geyser of blood and guts after being fired on with a Dominator) than previous incarnations of the franchise, with several violent deaths actually occurring off-screen and only showing the aftermath. With that being said, Psycho-Pass has always taken an approach similar to Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira and John Carpenter's The Thing, where the gore is story-appropriate rather than gore for the sake of gore, thus the lack of focus on gore doesn't detract from the film. Aside from that, characters, objects and backgrounds are well-rendered, enhancing the overall quality of the animation and, yes, the realism of the aforementioned violence. Yugo Kanno returns to musical scoring duties with excellent results as Ling Tosite Sigure and Egoist return to perform theme songs for the film, Alexithymia Spare and The One Concerned (Tōjisha), respectively. Crunchyroll's English dub, directed by the legendary Caitlin Glass, is also excellent, bringing back the major players from previous dubs of the franchise. Kate Oxley is once again excellent as Inspector Akane Tsunemori, who questions the Sibyl System at every turn as Japan's politicians question the need for laws even after Sibyl allowed Shogo Makishima to commit one murder after another. Robert McCollum is equally impressive as ex-Enforcer Shinya Kogami, who took Makishima out into a field and capped him in the head and is now a special investigator for the Suppressing Action Department (SAD) of Foreign Affairs. Josh Grelle also does solid work as Nobuchika Ginoza, a one-armed Enforcer with some animosity toward Kogami. Cherami Leigh is rock-solid as Mika Shimotsuki, a firecracker of an Inspector who has the guts to try to run Foreign Affairs off from a crime scene. Erin Kelly Noble is also more than adequate as SAD Agent Frederica Hanashiro. Bruce DuBose is also excellent as Atsushi Shindo, a calculating politician who knows more about what's happening than he lets on. John Gremillion is appropriately menacing as Tsugumasa Tonami, the Peacebreakers' deranged leader who quotes the Bible to justify the guerilla group's crimes against humanity and is deadly enough to give Makishima a run for his money. All the rest, including Lindsay Seidel as Enforcer Yayoi Kunizuka, Lydia Mackay as Analyst Shion Karanomaori, Z. Charles Bolton as Enforcer Sho Hinakawa, Mike McFarland as Enforcer Teppei Sugo, and Dallas Reid as Arata Shindo, are also up to par and the dub script is completely natural, though interestingly, the dub contains a lot less swearing than previous installments—which, like the reduced gore, doesn't diminish one's enjoyment of the film. Overall, Providence is an exciting and thought-provoking film and a great addition to the franchise, and no fan of Psycho-Pass should skip it. As for this fan, definitely buying it on Blu-ray and/or UHD down the road.

I thought it was a very good picture by Bogdanovich, one of his first films. Evidently the mis-marketing of the picture resulted in poor box office. It was an unusual portrayal by B. Karloff --one of his last roles-- but he was outstanding.

It used as its basic inspiration the country wide shocking mass shooting by Charles Whitman, who in 1966 climbed up into a tower at Univ. of Texas in Austin and started randomly shooting at and killing people below. Sadly today these types of horrible crimes are commonplace, but in 1966 it seems to me that this was the first. And you're right-- nobody could believe it!

But Bogdanovich made the most of what he had, and it really put him on the map.
I would've rated it higher but I thought the ending was weak and that much more could have been done with the drive-in scene.

Hollow Man (2000)

Couldn't get into this one much. The main character is a rapist and sexual pervert and that seems to be the main focus of much of the movie. Both male and female nudity. Some slick special effects. Violence and blood. Not a movie you watch with your family or friends. Not a movie I'd care to see again. Got some familar faces though.

4/10

I forgot the opening line.

By Studio and or Graphic Artist - [1], Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=73779673

Reality - (2023)

One day America is going to try to process the Trump era, much like it did the Vietnam war in the mid-to-late '80s and early '90s. Reality isn't doing that, but it is an interesting look at information and truth during it. The film hasn't been dreamed up, but is based on a real transcript of an FBI interrogation, which in turn was made into the play called 'Is This a Room'. First of all - the lady who this is all about has the real name "Reality Winner", and is played by Sydney Sweeney. Reality was in the Air Force, and her job at the time necessitated a high security clearance. Saying any more than that would ruin the film - it's best to go in and experience the surreal conversations FBI agents had with her when they searched her home one afternoon, and the events that were uncovered and occurred. "Is this a room?" is actually something one of the agents asks another during the search, and underlines how tricky our information-rich world is becoming to navigate. On the day Reality is being interrogated, FBI Director James Comey was being fired amid a storm of controversy and debate - lies and vitriol being traded, and few facts being offered. I really enjoyed Reality, and I think the future will see many similar films.

7/10

By IMDb, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7732446

City Slickers - (1991)

I don't know what it is about City Slickers. It's not hilariously funny, and it's no deconstruction of the mythical Wild West. It's more a search for a kind of masculinity that isn't toxic amid a world where men either lack masculinity or else display the more toxic variation. We have Billy Crystal - who is neither rugged nor handsome, but wins through in this by being honest and intrepid, while Jack Palance's Curly Washburn exhibits the kind of mojo that men used to aspire to, but confesses to Crystal's Mitch that he was so busy embodying it that he never had the chance to settle down with someone dear to him. Those two actors are so likeable that I'm ready to buy whatever they're selling. Marc Shaiman whips up a rousing classic Western musical accompaniment, and all the sudden I find myself forgiving City Slickers it's mediocrity and really get into it. I went horse riding once and I still remember how bad I hurt afterward - but this makes me want to get back on that saddle.

7/10

By IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8878406

The Nanny Diaries - (2007)

I have to confess that The Nanny Diaries' first act had me hating this film, but I thought it picked up as it went on. I don't know if it's this way in the novel, but Annie Braddock (Scarlett Johansson) comes off as quite conceited, and lacking the grace not to criticize nearly everyone directly, or cry out "poor me" after being blessed with health, youth, a great education, parental support etc. When the film focused more on how the rich people she works for ignore their children, and starve them of attention, I thought it had something more worthy to work with, and so did the character. Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti are both really good as horrible people.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7145105

Cool World - (1992)

I became aware of Cool World in 1992 through my David Bowie fixation, for he wrote and performed the song 'Real Cool World' for the film - and for some reason I never bought the single, and it was getting zero air-time so I never heard it for many, many years - remaining a blind spot (deaf spot?) in his oeuvre for me. The same with the film really, I'd never seen it before. It's basically a poor man's (very poor man's) Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Instead of the magic you get in that film, you get some very awkward and cheap-looking combination of animation and real-life - some moments are astonishingly poor. The plot revolves around a detective in the cartoon world (played by Brad Pitt) whose job it is to stop cartoons and humans having sex. Yeah, you read that right. I'm sure Kim Basinger and Gabriel Byrne would like to pretend this never happened. It's interesting though, despite being a bit of a car wreck - there's an old-school quality to the animation, and a dark kind of energy to it. I'll be tempted to see this again.

5/10