Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Blair Witch (Adam Wingard, 2016)
+
Seriously lacking in 'snot-shots'

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

The Orphanage (2007) by J.A. Bayona

I saw this at work with the kids, so I was not fully concentrated. Quite a decent horror, but nothing mindblowing.

Dawson City: Frozen Time (2016) by Bill Morrison

My third Morrison film with Decasia from 2002 being my favorite. Dawson City: Frozen Time is an interesting avantgarde film in its reuse of old footage and film. Slightly to long compared to the subject matter.

+

Border (2018) by Ali Abbasi

Quite interesting horror with some good twists and turns. Perhaps not the best date film

+

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) by Guillermo del Toro

I also saw this at work, though a lot happened at work and i guess that influenced the rating. Besides that i am not really a fan of del Toro.

+

Pépé le Moko (1937) by Julien Duvivier

A good thirties gangster drama by Duvivier.

@Daniel M

On a Coen brothers kick or a George Clooney kick or both?

I didn't like either of those movies, but it's nice to see you posting so +rep for that.

Thanks Yeah, a bit of both. I watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix, then got my brother to watch Hail, Caesar! as he hadn't seen it. Then I thought why not watch some more with him, starting with the Coen Brother films that I haven't seen. I think there are only The Hudsucker Proxy and A Serious Man left now

Hudsucker's an all-time favorite. Memorized the whole Amy Adams news room speech at one point.

From what I can tell that's not a common opinion. But I think The Hudsucker Proxy is one of the only full Coen Bros. comedies that I think works all the way through. I liked Hail, Caesar!, reallyy liked Intolerable Cruelty, and was pretty meh on Burn After Reading. And even Intolerable Cruelty felt a little too wacky for its own good at times.

Hudsucker is the only zany comedy of theirs that I think strikes the right balance the whole time, and it's largely because it's a little more whimsical in its comedy than the others, which are a good deal drier and more cynical.

Incident In A Ghostland

Bad Samaritan

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Little Drummer Girl (2018 series)

Usually when doing a screen adaption of a novel, the task is how to get most of the key narrative from the book transferred to the film. In the case of "Drummer Girl", either there wasn't enough detail to feature in the film, or the story could have been better told in perhaps 4, rather than 6, hours. Put another way, despite some light plot twists and competent acting, this series was laborious.

Part of the problem was that the ending really wasn't ever in any doubt. So the presentation of LeCarre's story became the work horse. Not having read the novel it's unknown how faithful the screen play was to it. Presumably, capturing LeCarre's dark prose while keeping the plot interesting is tricky.

Casting Florence Pugh as "Charlie" --the main protagonist-- was a misfire. The pudgy Brit blonde was not believable enough as a determined double agent. And the set up of her being sought out from her profession as an actress to take on a highly dangerous clandestine spy gig was a stretch right from the git-go.

Alexander Skarsgard looked the part. But if he does indeed have some seasoned acting chops, his approach here was too wooden. Michael Shannon did a predictably good job (despite his erratic Israeli accent) as the spy squad leader. It's the kind of role Shannon could do in his sleep. Supposedly the trick with him is to not let him lapse into creepiness. But his role was of equal importance to Pugh's.

The Little Drummer Girl was very watchable, but incited no wonderment nor emotional involvement.

Doc's rating: 5.5 of 10

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

All the Creatures Were Stirring (David Ian McKendry and Rebekah McKendry, 2018): A couple goes on a Christmas date to see a stage show of stories with the titular name. While the couple sees the show, we, the viewer get to see the stories in short film format, which was brilliant. All the stories are Christmas themed-horror, including a deadly office Christmas party, a last minute shopper stuck in an empty parking lot, a modern day Christmas Carol, a hit and run of a deer gone berzerk, and finally a story that looks to go one way but takes an even better direction. It's like the Creepshow of Christmas only the McKendrys came up with all the stories.